newbie questions on front suspension

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Zerpda

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi. So I have a 2010 Laramie 4x4. Just took it in for a check up and was advised my front tie rods are showing a little slack, and front bushings are going to need replacement soon. I was wondering if you all could tell me if there are replacement parts out there that are better than stock replacement parts, but that don't cost an arm and a leg. I really like my truck, and would love to keep it for a few years longer, so this is something I want to replace. I do some off-roading, but mostly on fire roads. Anyone got any suggestions for me?

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
X2 on the Mopar. Mopar stuff is really good quality. Especially on the bushings. If the bushings are just a little cracked or split a little on their outer edges that's kind of normal for aging bushings and doesn't necessarily mean they're worn out. Not saying they aren't but bushings often 'crack' with age. Have another shop give a 2nd look ...could be the 1st shop trying to talk you into work that isn't 100% necessary. Or, the bushing really might be worn. This is kind of a slow time of year for shops. Obviously if they're worn then you should get them replaced.

Moog tie rods are pretty good. They have adopted a 'Good-Better-Best' lines of products. Their 'Best' is usually their USA made stuff and could be OEM product too. The prices track the quality grades. With the Moogs you need to grease them regularly, not so with the Mopars. The good is you can grease them and that sounds all well and good. The bad is most guys or shops don't do it, or different shops use whatever grease they have on hand and some greases when combined with others can actually make them watery and erase the lubricating quality entirely (then it's like bone-on-bone!) ...and the joint wears out faster.

If you do your own maintenance or go to the same shop and the same grease is used, then the greasable is a great way to go. But still, your originals lasted 11yrs too, so there's something to be said for that.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If the bushings DO need to be looked at, and your trucks has some miles on it, and you plan to keep it a while, then you should be thinking about what the ball joints look like too. If there are a lot of miles on it (you didn't say in your post), that doesn't necessarily mean they're shot or even need to be replaced. Or the upper joints could be shot, but the lower joints (which are VERY robust) could be just fine. For example I went to replace the ball joints on my Hummer with 185k miles on it, when I was in doing other work (assuming they'd be loose). When I got the knuckle off, they were still quite tight, didn't exhibit visible wear. Didn't need to be replaced. So I left them.

But of course yours might be worn, or if you're paying someone to do the work, best do everything at once if youre in there. Ball joints I would definitely go with the best quality you can, or OEM. If you go greasable, same thing applies to what I said above. You gotta be careful mixing greases because you can get into trouble that can prematurely wear out a ball joint.