Newbie with issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jabrd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9/360
New 1st Gen in IA with some troubles that i'll try to keep relatively short. Picked up an '85 W350 farm truck for decent price to work on with my son for his first truck (12 yr old now). Was running, driving, and braking when bought. She's not pristine for sure and has/had some issues, so i towed her home to be safe knowing she's gonna need a lot of work to run right and be reasonably reliable. After getting home and off the trailer things have gone down hill. Mind you we have had sub-zero temps and wind chills the last couple weeks. The main issue right now is the passenger rear is "stuck", at least moving forward. The E brake was jenky when i tried to set it on the trailer for initial ride home. I pushed pedal all the way down and it held for a minute then came back up. The release pulls fine and seems free. I was able to get the truck off the trailer (while it was still running, another major issue now) without incident and parked. Went to move it into barn after sitting about a week or so in the cold, and had to jump it. No biggie as she turned right over, and i let her run for a bit. Backed her up and then when i put in drive it died and now it just makes a clicking noise when ignition turned. ALSO, and more importantly, the right rear wheel is locked up. We tried pushing into barn and it won't roll forward with truck in neutral, BUT will roll backwards. Makes moving this heavy old beast tough though. I thought E brake issue maybe froze with cold weather so tried heating it up to no avail. The E brake pedal goes down freely but won't stick and the release is still free pulling. The cables are hanging low and the "connection/tensioner" is loosey goosey. Any thoughts. It's sitting in the yard right now which doesn't have the other half super excited and makes it hard/cold to work on. Tempted to just cut the E brake cables at the wheel but not sure that will help. Didn't want to pull the drum to see what's going on just to move the thing inside, and I plan to replace the brake system eventually though any ways. Pic of new ride included. Thanks!

Attachments

• trucksmall.jpg
    trucksmall.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 4

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Cutting the emergency brake cables etc is unlikely to help unless they are not pulling freely in and out at the rear drum that is locked up. Enif that and some vice grips to work the cable loose is a better idea. It is far more likely that your stuck wheel issue is in the drum at the point where the cable enters and is not releasing or the pad pivots are just gunked up. To know, you have to get donw there and look.

The fact it will roll backwards and not forwards tells you the drum is being impeded by the shoes, issue is the cause. Easiest way to roll it into the shed is to lift that wheel onto a Tire Dolly and roll it, or push it in backwards, so you are where it is warm to work on it. If you have a skid steer or tractor I would just dry drag and push it in.

Good luck, looks like a great project.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Jabrd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9/360
Appreciate the quick response. New to Dana 70 axles, but videos i've seen so far tell me the axle/drum needs removed in order to see what's going inside, correct? If so, and with amount of work involved, i should plan to replace everything i suppose. What best website for parts on these guys? Thanks!

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Rock Auto is where I would start. One tons are definitely more work to take apart. That is why I would skid it into the workshop so I could work in comfort.

PaPitt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
I'm with Dean on getting it inside
If inside is enclose, good. if heated much better .
I tell every one around my farm trucks never use the E-Brakes ..
Grand Kids come down & they love to TEAR Stuff up. They don't understand someone has to pay for all the stuff.
But if you get the E-Brake working then don't use it until you get to check the rest of the items . Inside maybe it can thaw out ..
.........As far as where to get your parts . While Rock Auto is most of the time the cheapest place I'd .. Remove my items & Take them to a good parts store in your town . Now that I'm no longer in business. in my town . Our Carquest is the best & the Napa is a close 2nd . But ordering from Rock Auto & having to send brakes & cores back for credit . & SINCE I was an old parts man for 30 year in mine & then super visor for another 15years. Too much can go wrong ordering some items.

PaPitt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
I'M 73 & my best friend is 70 .. I tell him to fix one thing at a time.. He says yes yes . But then he orders about $ 2000.00 of parts at one time .
AS THEY SET Get dirty & something does fit. He just can't understand why it can't be gotten correct. 1st time .
It doesn't happen ever time.
Many years a go I took a fuel pump home for a 1974 chevy pickup on Saturday evening . I got home & took the old one off. WRONG . I'm sitting there laughing at myself. That was either a 40257 or a 40216 AC FUEL PUMP .& I HAD THE wrong one. &I'm remembering those 2 numbers from that far back because that's how many I sold.
SO Sorry lay your part on the counter & match them up.
sorry & Auto Zone wouldn't be able to find the gas cap.

Last edited: