Nexen Tire Blowout

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TWFJR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
2019 3500 Laramie Longhorn front drivers side blowout. Pulled out of gas station and the tire blew out sidewall. 26689 miles on the tire. Tires were rotated once. Rotation on this truck calls for removing tires to rotate. Good tread still. 20210918_002654.jpg

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
First thing when I could afford it was ditching the Nexens on mine. Went with Firestone XTs.

Firebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi
I'm looking at ditching mine too, too many folks having issues with them

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I see a lot of trucks running Sailun tires now. Not sure how they hold up. The savings add up fast when you need a new set so I see why people are tempted to try them.

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
2546c405170bdf2b552584eb3b2e01d2-jpg.jpg

These are awesome on my truck.

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
I dumped the Nexens day one. Ran Nitto EXOs for 42K. Still had tread left, but had irregular wear and noise issues. Went to Bridgestone Duravis R500 this time on the advice of a hot-shotter buddy. They are smooth and quiet, and so far no irregular wear showing.

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I see a lot of trucks running Sailun tires now. Not sure how they hold up. The savings add up fast when you need a new set so I see why people are tempted to try them.
Most Sailun tires are made in China, Nexens are made in South Korea. Personally I wouldn’t trust a Chinese tire on anything but a bicycle or maybe a lawnmower.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My wifes Pacifica has Nexen and she is at 20k and they have been rotated 3 times and they are down to almost 1/4 of their life. Cheap junk IMO. They wear about as bad as the SRA tires. Sorry about your blow out. There is nothing worse.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Most Sailun tires are made in China, Nexens are made in South Korea. Personally I wouldn’t trust a Chinese tire on anything but a bicycle or maybe a lawnmower.
I feel the same way though I just bought Korean snow tires due to a lack of supply for what I wanted. We'll see how they hold up. The Sailun are less than half a comparable bridgestone,firestone, Michelin in heavy truck tires. 12 drive tires on a tri-drive I see the temptation. The bigger fleets are even more tempted as it can be many thousands of dollars a year in tires. I don't see a lot of owner/operators running them and I have yet to see a Sailun steer tire yet, but with all these fleets running them the jury on how good they are or aren't will be out soon enough.

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
I'm looking at ditching mine too, too many folks having issues with them
I really like the XT's. It was a toss up between the Grabbers and these and I chose the XT's....price was better than the Grabbers. Quiet and better traction in all conditions.

Doug Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco Diesel _3.0
IMHO, OEM tires for cars and truck are to be safe, cheap, quiet, brake well and have low rolling resistance. They don't have to last long but they can't develop a reputation for blow outs. They are name brands owned by Japanese, Korean, European and USA companies. Some of these companies make some of their tires in China in their own plants.

With one exception, Sailun, Chinese owned brands have inconsistent quality. You may get one that lasts, but your chances of getting a bomb are high. I bought a set of Waterfall tires at Walmart for our 2008 Toyota Solara, which only gets driven around town. On the one hand they seem to show no wear after 20,000 miles, on the other hand they totally suck. Even after considerable rebalancing, this smooth running car vibrates. A set of Goalstars came with our Suzuki SX4. They also vibrated. Our Grand Design travel trailer came with Westlakes, commonly referred to as Chinabombs. These have a reputation for blowing up on a hot day, no matter what the speed. I was lucky and got 10,000 miles before a sidewall on one started to bulge.

Chinese owned brands have a reputation for low quality and they deserve it. I would avoid a Chinese branded tire on any vehicle.

Trailer RVers swear by Goodyear Endurance tires. The only Chinese brand tire I'd trust at all is Sailun tires. If you want to see how bad Chinese brand tires can be visit an RV forum.... there are entire sub-forums on the topic.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Wife has Nexen on her Pacifica and they are close to 1/4 of their life left at 21k. Rotated 3 times maybe 4 I believe. 2 years old. I dont like them at all.