Nexen tire bombs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChickenMan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I'm a little late to this thread but my 2017 Ram 3500 now has 2 of the Nexen tires that have separated. I'm pretty sure one was like this from the moment I drove it off the lot as it had a vibration that I never could get rid of. The first went out around 20,000 miles and the second around 22,000.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
I'm a little late to this thread but my 2017 Ram 3500 now has 2 of the Nexen tires that have separated. I'm pretty sure one was like this from the moment I drove it off the lot as it had a vibration that I never could get rid of. The first went out around 20,000 miles and the second around 22,000.

Great. I'm just over 22k miles on my 2018. This might be enough reason to order a set of 19.5 bolt-on wheels with some new tires.

JRS950

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L
My front tires had belt separation att 32000. The rears are wearing evenly and no issues. I replaced the fronts with Continental Terrain Contact AT's. Will replace rears with the same. Very quiet and track well.

Last edited:

masterdrago

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just wanted to add that I replaced all 6 of the Nexan OEM tired at just over 20k miles after having two experience tread separations. This was on our 2017 Limited on 7/17/2019.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
My front tires had belt separation att 32000. The rears are wearing evenly and no issues. I replaced the fronts with Continental Terrain Contact AT's. Will replace rears with the same. Very quiet and track well.

These have a long history of tread separation and belt squirming. Suggest googling the history. I tried them once and experienced exactly that.

I'm concerned because they (Continental of Germany) bought up General Tire, and even though their ATX is the highest rated tire on TireRack, a member recently reported tread separation on these as well. They were made at General's USA plant, so I hope the Germans didn't impose a faulty construction method on them like they have on their Contitracs. Another failed German buyout comes to mind - Daimler-Benz's acquisition of Chrysler was a complete disaster. Purchased for $35 billion, sold for $7 billion. Plus much product carnage.

OCBray

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD HO
We had our two front Nexen tires separate on our 2019 at 28000 miles. Sounds like there are many of us with the same issue. Is Ram looking into this. Seems like there should be a recall.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
We had our two front Nexen tires separate on our 2019 at 28000 miles. Sounds like there are many of us with the same issue. Is Ram looking into this. Seems like there should be a recall.
I doubt RAM is looking into it at all since a tire faces so many road hazards it gives them so many excuses to deny a claim.
Over a year ago around your miles I got rid of all 6 and went with the Falken Wildpeaks A/T. They've been great so far with about 10k on them. No noticable wear.