NG Post...Lift Goodies Ordered

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chris Kyle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi there, I’ve been lurking and reading for a while and thought I’d post.

I have a 2017 Ram 1500 4x4 Laramie Crewcab in Blue Streak. The truck has 24k miles on it and has been our goto travel vehicle and tow vehicle. We’ve since sold the travel trailer. Wife traded her Volvo wagon in on a Jeep JL Unlimited Sahara. She’s running Rubi takeoff wheels and 33s and we’ve been having fun running the forest roads. We’ll do some kind of 2-2.5” lift in the near future.

I’m in need of tires for the truck and figured, with no camper to tow and the wife’s fun off-road vehicle, it was time to have some fun with the truck.

Three pages of messages with Nick later and I have some cool stuff coming for my truck. Fox 2.0 coil overs And Zone UCAs for the front, Fox 2.0 shocks with Icon springs for the rear, as well as the complete Core 4x4 rear end bits.

I’ll most likely have the suspension installed first, then sort out tires.

I’m 75% decided on Nitto Terra Grappler G2s in standard load 275/65-20. That seems to be a safe width and height to run with the stock chrome-clad wheels without wheel spacers. If it’s possible to run a 35x11.5-20, I’m considering that too, as long as there would be zero rubbing without the use of wheel spacers. I’m also not sure about how an E-load tire would feel. Anyways, the standard-load 34” Terra Grapplers are most likely what I’ll end up doing.

Thanks Brandon, Nick and some of the other folks who’ve written very informative posts. It’s helped a lot to make an informed decision on stuff.

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Super solid plan you've got there! I'm sure you'll be more than happy with a nice solid setup like that.

I just installed E load tires in the 275 65 20 and at 40 psi the ride is just as good as before. Maybe just maybe a touch firmer but they only have about 10 miles on them so I can't really say yet. I had 315s on before and they are close to the same height as them so they look good. 35x11.5s should fit as well I've not seen any rubbing complaints with them. You for sure need to post pics, that's the one requirement.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Moparfanatic21

U.S. Marine Vet - 0321, Now a Doctor...of Vehicles
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I personally like Milestar Patagonia MT. They are amazing in the snow and rain. Nitto I had hit and miss things with them. Plus Milestar guarantee them for I think 40K miles.

MidwestExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
Three pages of messages with Nick later and I have some cool stuff coming for my truck. Fox 2.0 coil overs And Zone UCAs for the front, Fox 2.0 shocks with Icon springs for the rear, as well as the complete Core 4x4 rear end bits.

That's a pretty sweet parts list. Please post pictures and feedback once installed.

OP
OP
Chris Kyle

Chris Kyle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Most of the stuff has arrived. Looks like I'm just waiting on the Core 4x4 rear end links and panhard bar. If it arrives Monday, I may try to schedule the install for later in the week.

Now the tough decision is tires. I'm not adding wheel spacers and will be running the stock wheels. So, with the 2" lift, should I go with:

275/65-20 or 35x11.50-20?

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
I just put on 275 75 20 and for daily use it's my favorite size so far. A touch over 34" tall yet narrow enough I didn't take a hit on mileage at all. I can't say for sure but I think you will have no issues running the 35x11.5 either. But they are for sure gonna hit your mpg being much heavier. I kept my 315s for any heavy offroad excursions but for day to day adventures these 275s do the trick.

Here is a pic, about 1" rear and 2.3" front lift. 76fd70babaaa4c35fa0035b8d97f1c1e.jpg

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
The 35x11.5x20 will be a taller and a little wider than the 275/65/20 so personally that is what I would get.

On the flip side I know you are having fun with the wife’s Jeep. I recently traded my ram in on a wrangler unlimited Rubicon and put 35’s on it. Love it so far.

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
You're going to love the Terra Grapplers, especially dry/wet traction compared to the OEM passenger SRA's.

You could also go with a 295/60R20 which is a 34x11.6" FYI.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
Speaking of tires what are your expectations? If you are lifting and wanting to go off-roading I’m thinking you might want a more aggressive tire....especially the sidewall.

OP
OP
Chris Kyle

Chris Kyle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Speaking of tires what are your expectations? If you are lifting and wanting to go off-roading I’m thinking you might want a more aggressive tire....especially the sidewall.

My off-roading is pretty minimal...pretty much just driving forest roads and trails; which around here are mostly sandy and hard packed limestone. There will be smallish washouts, ruts and washboard.

I wanted a good matched suspension that would handle a little faster driving through the forest and allow me to go just a little taller in tire size.

An AT or one of the new hybrid tires is plenty for me. In addition to the Terra Grappler, I’m also looking at the Ridge Grappler and the Geolandar X-AT.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
ahh Ok. The ridge grappler is a nice tire....I’m not biased or anything though lol. Honestly though before buying these I was a Toyo m/t fan and really still am, they are great tire but they are a true mud tire.

725FE3A4-313B-41C1-8DD0-97A51F0B6B9F.jpeg

Puba08

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Terra grapplers are nice but the ridge grappler looks 1000x better. Get the look of an MT and close to the performance of a dedicated AT. I’ve run both and both were excellent (just not cheap).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thank you for letting us be a part of your build. Glad we could get you setup with all of those parts. That is going to make a great riding and performing combo! Looking forward to hearing your thoughts after everything is installed and you hit those forest roads.

OP
OP
Chris Kyle

Chris Kyle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
ahh Ok. The ridge grappler is a nice tire....I’m not biased or anything though lol. Honestly though before buying these I was a Toyo m/t fan and really still am, they are great tire but they are a true mud tire.

View attachment 176225

So, I scheduled the install and tires for tomorrow. The last of the Core 4x4 stuff should arrive today. I ended up ordering 35x11.50 Ridge Grapplers. From everything I've read for several weeks now, they're great tires, excelling on-road and definitely handling all-terrain offroad.

Today's task is to get a good level profile shot of the truck with measurements for a before/after comparison.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
So, I scheduled the install and tires for tomorrow. The last of the Core 4x4 stuff should arrive today. I ended up ordering 35x11.50 Ridge Grapplers. From everything I've read for several weeks now, they're great tires, excelling on-road and definitely handling all-terrain offroad.

Today's task is to get a good level profile shot of the truck with measurements for a before/after comparison.
gonna look great, and you will like the ridge grapplers

OP
OP
Chris Kyle

Chris Kyle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Dropped the truck off this morning. Man, the 35" Ridge Grapplers look super huge stacked up. I'm questioning if they're really going to fit.

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Dropped the truck off this morning. Man, the 35" Ridge Grapplers look super huge stacked up. I'm questioning if they're really going to fit.
They'll fit no problem! Just gotta believe.