Nitrous Install info, parts list, jetting charts, tuning help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kidmandudebro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Being as it looks like your 50,damn kid,lol,it might be easier to explain it like a carburator. There's 2 jets inline in both the fuel feed line and the nitrous feed line,that in a nutshell control the amount of either fuel or nitrous that flows through the spray bar, so if you install a smaller fuel jet it leans the nitrous to fuel ratio down,very similiar to if you jetted a carb with smaller jets to lean the carb down.Most kits come with jets that are set up for a very safe tune,which keeps the motor running on the rich side to prevent piston damage,so by jetting the fuel jet with a smaller inline jet,you restrict the fuel flow to the spraybar,which leans out the air/fuel ratio and in most cases will supply more power,up till you burn a piston.If you're going to play with the jetting,you'll definitely want to invest in an air/fuel ratio gauge to keep track of what your jet changes are doing to the air/fuel ratio. The old saying "lean is mean" applies to nitrous,up till you melt a piston,lol

LMAO I totally understand it better now thank you. I'm a musician too so add that to some of my confusion, I use the left side of my brain. And probably inhaled some nitrous back in the day too. LOL... seriously thanks for the breakdown it did make more sense. I think I might go get the Zex kit 10lb bottle try to jet for a 50 to 75 shot.

Then I'll save up for long tube headers and a Greene tune.

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
LMAO I totally understand it better now thank you. I'm a musician too so add that to some of my confusion, I use the left side of my brain. And probably inhaled some nitrous back in the day too. LOL... seriously thanks for the breakdown it did make more sense. I think I might go get the Zex kit 10lb bottle try to jet for a 50 to 75 shot.

Sounds like such a great idea it makes me want to go out and buy another kit. I probably have 3 10lbs bottles in the garage though. Shouldn't buy more :(:D

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine

You'll have to order extra jets for a 50 shot ,the Zex kit comes with jets for 75 / 100 and 125 shots. Keep good fuel in the tank,like a high quality 93 or 94 ,from a high volumn station, run the Denso 3381 plugs,plus install a 180 thermostat, you'll be okay on the stock tune. There's guys running upwards of a 100 shot on the stock tune,but that's pushing it a bit in my opinion.

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
You'll have to order extra jets for a 50 shot ,the Zex kit comes with jets for 75 / 100 and 125 shots. Keep good fuel in the tank,like a high quality 93 or 94 ,from a high volumn station, run the Denso 3381 plugs,plus install a 180 thermostat, you'll be okay on the stock tune. There's guys running upwards of a 100 shot on the stock tune,but that's pushing it a bit in my opinion.

Anyone know how much ignition timing the stock tune runs?

If the OP is really nervous about it run 100octane fuel. That will pretty much rule out any pre-ignition or detonation issues. You don't have to fill the entire tank with 100. Just run it low put 5 or 6 gallons in and then drive a mile or so till the octane mixes with your current fuel

Then the only thing you'll have to worry about are backfires through the intake manifold. They are plastic so break out the funds for another if you're the unlucky winner of a nitrous backfire.

kidmandudebro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

I will try this. Its what Ive been thinking of doing minimally. If I do plugs and 180 tstat will I throw codes on a stock tune? I do run 93 Sunoco all the time.

doing the mech fan delete and ev6 fan soon & probably the shutters

Thanks for the info

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I will try this. Its what Ive been thinking of doing minimally. If I do plugs and 180 tstat will I throw codes on a stock tune? I do run 93 Sunoco all the time.

doing the mech fan delete and ev6 fan soon & probably the shutters

Thanks for the info

You're safe with a 180 T-stat,any lower and it will throw a code unless your tuned for a 160 or 170 thermostat. Leave the mechanical fan and stock e-fan on until you get it tuned though. If you can afford it,get the factory V6 fan,the aftermarket ones don't have a great rep. The grill is another thing to look at,the lower trim level open style Honeycomb grill flows more air then the closed up smaller hole higher trim level grills flow,like what the Sports and higher trim levels have.The shutters you can do a temporary fix on until you either tune it,or spring for one of Jason Duria's shutter delete kits. The slats in the shutters just pop out,if you have smaller arms,you can just pop the rad cover off and reach down and pop them out,if you have bigger arms you'll probably want to pop the grill off to get at them.Just take out the middle slats,leave 1 top and 1 bottom slat in on both sides,that fools the putor into thinking they are still there,as it can't tell the middle slats are missing.

kidmandudebro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You're safe with a 180 T-stat,any lower and it will throw a code unless your tuned for a 160 or 170 thermostat. Leave the mechanical fan and stock e-fan on until you get it tuned though. If you can afford it,get the factory V6 fan,the aftermarket ones don't have a great rep. The grill is another thing to look at,the lower trim level open style Honeycomb grill flows more air then the closed up smaller hole higher trim level grills flow,like what the Sports and higher trim levels have.The shutters you can do a temporary fix on until you either tune it,or spring for one of Jason Duria's shutter delete kits. The slats in the shutters just pop out,if you have smaller arms,you can just pop the rad cover off and reach down and pop them out,if you have bigger arms you'll probably want to pop the grill off to get at them.Just take out the middle slats,leave 1 top and 1 bottom slat in on both sides,that fools the putor into thinking they are still there,as it can't tell the middle slats are missing.

Nice advice. Very curious what I can do to open the lower part of bumper grill on my express any links or suggestions? I was looking at this area prior to reading this and was thinking there is potential there. I got a Jason kit coming.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I want to change my hood too for a real type of forced air for my CAI
To get any kind of forced air off the top of the hood,you need a mininium of a 2" tall scoop to the bottom opening of the scoop. The stock Performance hood or as it's commonly referred to, the Sport hood isn't the one you want,lol. You're better off fabbing up a feed to your airbox from the grill area,or the lower valence that you were looking at opening up. I have a duct mounted in the lower valence of my Sport that uses a 3" dryer duct to feed air to my airbox. If you do the shutter delete and 180 thermostat,that's more then enough to keep the engine cool. The 8 speed trucks will run at 185F even with a 160F thermostat,but you'll have less cabin heat in the winter,and your 8 speed will take a bit longer to get up to temp,and should run slightly cooler. If you live where it's hot,you can talk to your tuner about running a 160F thermostat,and go from there,as your tuner will have to reset the parameters for the truck to like a 160 T-stat and not throw a code

kidmandudebro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
To get any kind of forced air off the top of the hood,you need a mininium of a 2" tall scoop to the bottom opening of the scoop. The stock Performance hood or as it's commonly referred to, the Sport hood isn't the one you want,lol. You're better off fabbing up a feed to your airbox from the grill area,or the lower valence that you were looking at opening up. I have a duct mounted in the lower valence of my Sport that uses a 3" dryer duct to feed air to my airbox. If you do the shutter delete and 180 thermostat,that's more then enough to keep the engine cool. The 8 speed trucks will run at 185F even with a 160F thermostat,but you'll have less cabin heat in the winter,and your 8 speed will take a bit longer to get up to temp,and should run slightly cooler. If you live where it's hot,you can talk to your tuner about running a 160F thermostat,and go from there,as your tuner will have to reset the parameters for the truck to like a 160 T-stat and not throw a code

Can you post up a picture of your work for the extra feed to your air box? Thanks

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Can you post up a picture of your work for the extra feed to your air box? Thanks

Pick a facebook page ,like Tuned Rams or High Performance Rams,and i'll take a pic of it later and post it on there.Never have been able to get pic's on here.
Rick

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
@Wild one

It's not hard to put pics on this forum. Take a look at this tutorial:

https://www.ramforum.com/threads/ram-forum-tutorial-posting-pictures.162504/

You might as well be speaking Japanese,lol. That's entails work trying to figure it out,easier for him to join facebook if he wants pic's.It's easier for me to post pics to facebook then here. I'm older and me and a computor don't get along,lol.I'm sure if he wants to see a pic,he'll join either one of the pages i mentioned.It's just a hole with a scoop in the lower valence of my Sport,so it's not hard to imagine either.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
It's the same here as facebook. You simply upload a file. No other buttons to push unless you want the full image vs. a thumbnail to appear.

kidmandudebro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Pick a facebook page ,like Tuned Rams or High Performance Rams,and i'll take a pic of it later and post it on there.Never have been able to get pic's on here.
Rick

I don't have a FB account but I can still see pics there. High Performance Rams

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
It's the same here as facebook. You simply upload a file. No other buttons to push unless you want the full image vs. a thumbnail to appear.

Not quite,lol. I hit a thread on facebook,hit the add picture button,that's in the bottom of a comment,up pop my pic's , pick the one i want,and done ,no uploading files on my end,lol. I don't have the patience to screw around trying to figure out how to get a pic on here,lol.If there was a simple single button ,that said "add a pic" to push on a thread,and it went to my pic's,then maybe,lol

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
But there is...it's called "Upload A File" at the bottom of each and every message box. And it goes where you tell it to go to get the pic(s).

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
But there is...it's called "Upload A File" at the bottom of each and every message box. And it goes where you tell it to go to get the pic(s).

And there in lie's the problem,what the hell is a file.Tell you what Maddog,join the page he wants the pic's on,and transfer them here if you want,i'm not really all that interested in figuring out how to get a pic on here,plus i'm telling you once again,"a computor and i don't get along",and i have no patience for them,lol

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joeyoliver45