Nitto Ridge grapplers on snow?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shadowhawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black metallic 2016 Sport- born 05/2016
Engine
hemi 5.7 with I2 tune
I'm considering a set of these. I'd like to hear from those that have used them in cold climates on snow and ice. How did they fare? Any drawbacks? I know wider isn't ideal in snow on standard passenger tires, but truck tires are different, right?

joeygster

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 1500 Sport Crew Bright White
Engine
Hemi 5.7

averageguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
I don't have the tires you mentioned but I can tell you wide tires suck in snow. I had 37X12.50 MT baja claw radials on a 2500 and they were crap in the snow. I would rather have been on stock all season radials. They were really bad in the stopping department, think a big wide sled sitting at all 4 corners. They just sit on top of the snow and slide.

OP
OP
shadowhawk

shadowhawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7 with I2 tune
the Falken wildpeaks seem to do pretty well in snow; better than the stock Goodyears.

AVG- yeah, that's what I'm afraid of. I'd love an extra set of wheels/tires if I had space to store them, and money to buy them

Maligator

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hem 5.7
We just had our first snow the other week maybe about 2" and mine didn't do terribly but not great either. I didn't feel as comfortable or confident as I would on a true AT or all season tire. I did notice the sliding effect in nasty slush if I was breaking a little to much. All in all not bad but Didn't do quite as well as I'd hoped. See how they do in a little more snow.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
shadowhawk

shadowhawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7 with I2 tune
and you've got the Nittos?

Last edited:

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I took mine for a quick spin now that I have snow. They were ok, but no ice traction really. As long as the roads are salted, sanded or not packed yet they're fine. I'm going back to driving my other truck with snow tires on it. Way better.

homeguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I’ve got the ridge grapplers on my Jeep. It just snowed a foot here last night and I can say the tires are great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

TNram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I am going back and forth between the KO2 and the Ridge Grapplers...

Maligator

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hem 5.7
We just had our first snow the other week maybe about 2" and mine didn't do terribly but not great either. I didn't feel as comfortable or confident as I would on a true AT or all season tire. I did notice the sliding effect in nasty slush if I was breaking a little to much. All in all not bad but Didn't do quite as well as I'd hoped. See how they do in a little more snow.

Little update with mine as we had about 4-6" a few weeks ago. I was pretty worried about my 2hr commute but the ridge grapps did great. Held about 45-55mph on hwys when traffic was clear and I felt very confident in them. Any issues was taking a turn a bit to fast and slid a little maybe a foot or so.

daveray9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ive only used the KO2s and love em. Im in NE so we have seen plenty of snow last 2 years and no issues.

I hear great things about Nitto, but I liked the look of the KO2s better.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Witch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 liter
My Ridge Grapplers suck in the snow

Had to put some cinder blocks over the rear tires, helped a lot

GaChris

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
i know this is an older thread however seeing how winter is coming. i figure i would answer any question one may have about the Nittos or Toyos even. I have worked for Toyo/Nitto for around 11 years here in Ga. As for winter tires the ridge grappler wasn't design for winter use but we have had many customer that have gone with this tire with good results. However if you live up north or in a high snow area i would recommend looking at the Nitto EXO grappler. It the only tire we have in the grappler line that is 3peak rated. This tire has been through testing in Alaska and BC. On the Toyo line we offer the toyo open country CT. The EXO and C/T both accept studs if you choose. feel free to ask any question on any tire we offer and i will be glad to answer your questions.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Had those in my Jeep and hated them in light snow covered roads, plus i don't think they worked as well as my Nitto MT's did rocky/muddy trails, i thought they looked good for being a hybrid, after that experience, i was done with hybrid tires, it's either MT for me or AT's, KO2's never failed me in the snow, ran 2 different sets back to back, 80k miles each time, best AT's i've had bar none, best MT, Nitto Trail Grappler, tough as nail to run them in the rocks, and long lasting considering they're MT, sucked in light snow, not exactly the best tire in wet roads, but were great in heavy packed chit.

I'm trying Falken AT3W now (price was so good i had to see what's up), haven't run them in snow yet, but winter is around the corner, and the only reason i'm running AT in the RAM is because i didn't want the truck to suck driving towards the mountains this coming winter, so time will tell, i'm not doing rocks anymore, not with this truck, so i don't need MT traction, i need a good all around AT tire that can work well in rain and winter, so far rain traction has been outstanding, now i need to confirm how they'll behave in snow covered roads.