No air suspension: Now Poor Ride Quality Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GovernorBudNH

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel v6
Are there any 1500 Eco-Diesel owners happy with conversion from air, and what struts, shocks and coils worked? I've been trying to correct the poor work and cheap components previously done on mine and looking for realistic solution. Many have weighed in on the 4th gen forum thread, however with the added weights of the heavy bumper, winch and the eco-diesel, it still looks like trial and error.

—air system replaced by inferior parts and work to raise the truck 3-4”
—previous owner replaced front bumper with American Trucks bumper AND winch, thus adding weight to front of RAM
—the ride is terrible, especially on secondary roads
—feels like the truck is slamming off the bumpstops every time I hit a crack on the road
—I was on the RAM FORUM and many recommendations lead to contacting Eibach, Fox and Pro-comp
for suitable coils, struts and shocks without redoing the whole lift. Noone has really nailed a recommendation
but I do want to correct the mistakes and poor parts and not have to sell the truck.

Possible Conclussion
Bottoming out front end due to too light spring rate (Gas powered Ram components, not eco-diesel)

Attachments

• Rightfront.JPG
    Rightfront.JPG
    114.9 KB · Views: 15
  • Rear.JPG
    Rear.JPG
    111.1 KB · Views: 15
  • Front Strut.JPG
    Front Strut.JPG
    64.8 KB · Views: 14
  • 1 RAM EXT FRONT.jpg
    1 RAM EXT FRONT.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 16

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
I read your whole thread in the lifted section. To start, do you have a set budget?

On a tight budget I suggest looking into the eibach pro truck front struts with their included coils. Part of your issue going forward is going to be that the bilstein 5100s and eibachs require utilizing some of the OEM strut components. Unfortunately you don't have them exactly and there's no guarantee the Monroe front struts share the same dimensions to allow reuse on the new struts. It's a gamble without being there in person to confirm this over the forum, and could make for you having to search locally for a set of OEM take off struts for the pieces needed.

It's super common to see the ecodiesel giving varying results in lift heights across the same product. I've dealt with it first hand.

The second option you have is to find a set of 6112s which come with everything except for the top portion of the struts. The top hat's, as they're referred to, are easy to source.

In the rear it's an easy change to appropriate shocks that match the correct lift height and front shocks you choose. I suspect the rears are just a good bit short and giving a rough ride.

You have what looks to be a BDS lift which is a quality set up, they just dropped the ball on the shock choice.

OP
OP
GovernorBudNH

GovernorBudNH

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel v6
Thanks Hodge-xj,

BDS 6" lift is what's been confirmed from BDS. I have not set a budget as yet looking to correct previous owners not-so-great choices. Currently, until I sort out the suspension issues, I found OEM Goodyear 4 ply tires and replaced the 12 ply Nittos so at least the truck is drivable over these terrible NE roads. I am looking to Nick from Go exhaust who works with Ramforum members for some pricing and suggestions...however as you have read there are many many suggestions... and I dont have the funds to experiment. At least I have the time to do this correctly as I am not towing my trailer over the winter. What is interesting to me on this forum and Ram diesel forum is that I have not run across anyone who has an ecodiesel and experienced these issues. I did speak with the suspension shop in Canada that did the work (which led me to contact BDS) though not helpful.

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Thanks Hodge-xj,

BDS 6" lift is what's been confirmed from BDS. I have not set a budget as yet looking to correct previous owners not-so-great choices. Currently, until I sort out the suspension issues, I found OEM Goodyear 4 ply tires and replaced the 12 ply Nittos so at least the truck is drivable over these terrible NE roads. I am looking to Nick from Go exhaust who works with Ramforum members for some pricing and suggestions...however as you have read there are many many suggestions... and I dont have the funds to experiment. At least I have the time to do this correctly as I am not towing my trailer over the winter. What is interesting to me on this forum and Ram diesel forum is that I have not run across anyone who has an ecodiesel and experienced these issues. I did speak with the suspension shop in Canada that did the work (which led me to contact BDS) though not helpful.
Nick is a huge asset here and I've dealt with him on everything aftermarket on my truck. He will surely be of huge assistance.

I've seen this exact issue here, smothee has a similar issue thread named "rough ride" that's not too old, and I've also seen this on the ecodiesel forum a year or so ago. The OP there had a Rough Country lift with the exact issue as you though never followed up with a resolution.

With a 6" lift you'll for sure be able to find a full front shock replacement. The ecodiesel is weird in that no truck seems to be consistent with another. I took a set of front 6112s off my truck, put them on my buddies which is identical and his lifted nearly an inch more. Mind you they're both Ecodiesels Crew Cabs and should technically have been the same. Just an example of the head scratching.

The options are essentially endless and as you can imagine the prices go from palatable to insane. At this point everything is an upgrade from your current setup. Taking into consideration that you don't have the stock struts for the proper coils and lower coil base, the 6112s jump out at me as the next appropriate choice. Granted they're not "cheap" at $700 but they are a viable and tried option without the hassle of chasing missing parts. I know there are a few full length 6" lift front shocks out there as well, so I'll do a bit of digging, but most seem to be for the hemi trucks which has been troublesome in some past applications. It's been a while since I dug deep so this could have changed. Keeping to the idea its easier to replace the shocks than it is to undo the lift, there's options to be had.

One thing to note is your truck seems to sit pretty level, which is nice but keep in mind that the front could end up a touch higher than the rear. It would easily be rectified, and isn't a definite but just something to point out as possible. I know you're picking up where the previous owner left off so it's aggravating, but between the forum and Nick you'll get sorted out soon. If there's one thing I've learned is not all suspension shops are suspension experts and they usually just recite advertising babble and don't understand the way it all works.