No backing up with drivers' door open?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Har!!!! That's me! :Caffeine: My dad used to back the big firetrucks up with the door open and one foot on the running board too.
That is good but never seen any one back up with the door open and their head out the door. Today vehicles have two mirrors and one inside for this purpose.Also its not 1950 any more

jack67

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There is no reason to have to back up with the door open, if you can't see what you need to with mirrors and back up camera then your doing it wrong.
That is YOUR opinion, not others! ;)
That said, I hate this feature... there are many times when like say, I'm backing into a parking spot that has cement curb on the drivers side, I like to open the door to see how close I am and if I'm level, not crooked in parking and I'm not even going 1/2 mph. Also to see what is alongside of my truck that I can't see in the rearview mirror or backup video. In my own driveway for crying out loud, I can't back up with the door open. I regret very much taking the truck in for the recalls.
Maybe it's just a lifelong habit, but I don't like to be forced into doing something I don't want to do.

Did I say I hate that no-backing-up-with-drivers-door-open yet?

OP
OP
El Huapo

El Huapo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4X4 Warlock 1500 Classic DS w/3.55 LSD
Engine
V6 flex
That is YOUR opinion, not others! ;)
That said, I hate this feature... there are many times when like say, I'm backing into a parking spot that has cement curb on the drivers side, I like to open the door to see how close I am and if I'm level, not crooked in parking and I'm not even going 1/2 mph. Also to see what is alongside of my truck that I can't see in the rearview mirror or backup video. In my own driveway for crying out loud, I can't back up with the door open. I regret very much taking the truck in for the recalls.
Maybe it's just a lifelong habit, but I don't like to be forced into doing something I don't want to do.

Did I say I hate that no-backing-up-with-drivers-door-open yet?

I reckon we're old enough to remember when our safety was our responsibility. And maybe you missed it, but with a little brake pedal pressure, it will back up with the door open. I still would disable that feature if I could.

jlongjohn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Many of you assume that backing up with the door open is to see things. I for one simply leave my door open when I have to make very small adjustments with the truck, like move forward or back 1 inch or whatever is needed.

The backup camera is nice, but I back into trailers in the dark, in bad weather, when the truck is dirty, so not the ideal situation you all must have every time you back up and the mirrors and camera are perfect for you. I also back into many different trailers all the time, not just ones I own or operate. Some are large and can be seen, some are very small, some wide some not. So for me this information was very helpful as I often just need to make small adjustments where seeing something is not needed, I just have to move forward/back/left/right a small amount to get the trailer connected.

Otherwise the camera has been very helpful, this truck I have now is the first I have ever owned with a backup camera, also surprisingly my stock mirrors are a good size and give a clear picture on both sides.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This little story has nothing to do with backing up, but it does have to do with sticking your head out of the door with the truck running. Years ago my rotund brother-in-law decided to take his wife and son out to dinner. He stopped at the end of his driveway, unhooked his seat belt, and leaned out to pick up the newspaper...just like he had done hundreds of times before. This particular time, he lost his balance and the fat a$$ fell out of the truck, and off it went...with his stunned family strapped inside......without a driver. Luckily, the truck only traveled about 40 feet before coming to rest......hood first in the creek across the street! :p:p:p Thankfully, the only thing injured was his pride, and the truck escaped with only a few minor scratches. Because the "crash" wasn't any worse and because no one got hurt and because he learned his lesson, we can look back on it now and laugh.

Full disclosure: On rare occasions I stick my head out of the door with the truck running, but usually only in my driveway, and only when I'm alone. I figure if I fall out, my house will stop it! :D

Mudders Beast

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thinking I noticed this feature after a software upgrade. But glad I now have a RAM with a backup camera for trailer hook ups. Before that I used a Harbor Freight magnetic antenna with a tennis ball on top to help align with a small utility trailer.

Truckit

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Longhorn Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I wish this feature was on earlier trucks too. Occasionally other people drive some of our vehicles. Like the oil change lad that tried to back out of the shop with the drivers door open on my then new 2010 Laramie. I had an almost new truck with a buggered drivers door.

captainronpo614

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998-2005-2014
Engine
5.9-5.9-6.7 CTD's
I'll give anyone crap that can't use their mirrors correctly, people don't realize how much of danger they are to other people on the road when they don't know how to use them. Then there is always the possibility if your head is hanging out the door and somehow you hit something with the door, it's all bad after that.
If you have a back up camera there should be no issue putting the ball under the coupler. It doesn't matter the size of the trailer, mirrors don't lie about where it's at.

Whoa Hoss, where did I read somewhere "Images May Be Closer Than They Appear", or hear "Damn, this mirror makes me look fat" ????? Not sure about
your house but if I would use your response "mirrors don't lie" winter freeze would be a lot longer than the ground hog predicted around our Casa....

SOLER

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I'm glad this isn't a feature on either of my trucks. First experience the day we picked up my wife's 2019 Grand Cherokee. I had the door closed, but not latched tight, and doggone thing wouldn't back up!

Is this a feature on the 3500s? Backup camera doesn't do Jack for hooking up goosenecks/fifth wheels, and neither do the mirrors. Glad my dually doesn't have this feature, and glad my '15 half ton doesn't either.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I tried using the 3 mirrors when pulling forward up onto the ramps - but alas I couldn't see the ramps when using the mirrors :(

LouM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Ecodiesel crewcab old/ now 2019 Laramie Hemi
Engine
eco diesel old / now Hemi missing the eco's mileage
Well heck guess I'll throw in my 2 cents on this subject.
When my truck was in the dealers a couple of weeks ago for atone ring,
they also did a couple of the recalls including which piece of crap included this
garbage of throwing itself into park if you try and move it with the door open and
no seat belt.
I have read all the bull about "safety" and this and that.
I move my truck many times with the door open and no seat belt on.
All of you know it alls that say it shouldn't be done have never been in my situations.
I have seen days when it seems like I'm driving thru 20 or 30 gates in a day,
pull up to a gate, get out open the gate, get back in the truck move in past the gate,
stop the truck, get back out,close the gate, get back in the truck.
Then to make it more fun many of those gates have cows on one side or the other and
possibly on both sides.
Cows main goal in life is to create as much work as possible for you and to get out thru and open gate
if possible while you are using it.
So you open a gate, jump in goose the throttle, stop throw it in park as you are getting out to run back
and get to the gate before a damned cow gets out.
SO THIS CRAP OF TRYING TO GET A BELT FASTENED IS PURE DE BULL.

I have now purchased two of the seat belt extenders to see which one I prefer, one 3" and one 5 inch.
Because I damned sure am going to continue NOT fastening a seat belt at times and NOT closing the door at times.

The nanny state bull can kiss my ---
:biggun:

bm02tj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Grab one of the bottle openers that plug in remove after the gates are done
Or two foot it with one lightly on the brake

Tracy in IL

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 diesel
Get a little seat buck insert thingy on e-bay for a couple of bucks. once its inserted it overrides all the seat belt related safety issues. Its great for prowling around the farm. Anybody on the forum who says you don't need to have teh door open to see under certain conditions has no real practical off-road experience.

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
All I have to say is, if you f*@k with safety devices and ignore warnings on your truck, you could get hurt or killed. Just because you have done something for years and got away without injury, doesn't mean it's not going to catch up with ya, your luck will run out. My 2 cents worth.

brentwasham

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Tradesman, metallic red with wheel-to-wheel black sidesteps and fender flares, factory wheels
Engine
I don’t know if it’s related, but I got a recall “U07- DX 8-SPEED ROTARY S” which was to enable the “auto park”, I rejected that one
I've been rejecting that one as well, who has hours to sit around a dealer so they can make your car slam into park. I value my time and transmission more than that. Ditto for the seat belt tensioner software update in case of a rollover and 3 or 4 other nitnoid recalls that don't amount to a hill of beans.

KeithP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT
After leaving the family farm I was raised on, I have spent most of my life working in some capacity in the transportation industry. I get the importance of seatbelts and wouldn’t consider not wearing one until.....I go back home to the farm. There the seatbelts are a huge imposition. Moving the truck short distances as you work back and forth along the fence line fixing what needs fixed, dropping off salt blocks in the pastures. As LouM mentioned, getting through gates etc,etc, seatbelts be damned....until I pull out onto the road again. You can thank people who refuse to accept responsibility for their own stupidity, their lawyers and politicians for these nanny state features. Shouldn’t have to own them but, seatbelt cheats are essential on the farm.

XD_Dan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I changed my reverse lights from incandescent to LED. I wanted to see the difference in light output and make sure the connectionswere good.
I chocked all 4 tires, set the parking brake as far as I could push it, started the truck, and put it in reverse. I eased off the brake and the truck didn't budge. A light blip on the throttle and it still didnt budge. So I felt it was safe to walk back and check the reverse lights. When I opened the door to get out, the truck put itself into park.
Very frustrating. You cannot see the reverse lights from the back-up camera. I had to wait until my neighbor got home so he could sit in the truck while in reverse so I could simply check the reverse lights.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

MegaRam18

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I don't get it. Maybe my truck is broken. I opened the door, put it in "R", and it went backwards. Did I miss something?

Sent from my old rotary phone using Tapatalk [emoji3513]

LouM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Ecodiesel crewcab old/ now 2019 Laramie Hemi
Engine
eco diesel old / now Hemi missing the eco's mileage
I don't get it. Maybe my truck is broken. I opened the door, put it in "R", and it went backwards. Did I miss something?

Sent from my old rotary phone using Tapatalk [emoji3513]

was your seat belt buckled?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Popeye