No backing up with drivers' door open?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Then you have not been "upgraded" to the latest and greatest nanny gate software, lucky you.
First off, this is being discussed in the 5th gen forum, so all 5th gen 1500s already have this feature. Secondly, his signature is showing a 2018 Cummins. The HD Ram transmissions aren’t capable of auto park, except for the 2019+ HD gassers.

LouM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Ecodiesel crewcab old/ now 2019 Laramie Hemi
Engine
eco diesel old / now Hemi missing the eco's mileage
I hadn't caught that, so apparently all the fancy newer ones are all nannified already.

Mcgruff

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I hadn't caught that, so apparently all the fancy newer ones are all nannified already.

Trucks with a column shiftier (68RFE and AISIN) pull on a cable to adjust the transmission. The computer can prevent you from shifting from one mode to another using a electric actuator (lock it in park until you press the brake pedal for example), but can't make changes for you.

In a truck with the ZF 8 speed transmission and hockey puck knob on the dash you are electronically requesting (pretty please) that the computer change drive modes for you (it then makes changes using electric actuators inside the transmission). It can decide on it's own to shift from drive or reverse into park if wants to. Kind of like PC's used to have a power switch that actually cut electricity, now they are momentary buttons that simply request a shut down from the operating system.

This safety feature (done via recall on my 2015 1500) was due to people with the knob forgetting to put it in park before hopping out. Overall I really like the knob in my 1500, but admit that a couple of times got distracted and almost got out with it still in gear (before the recall).

Like many here, I used to open the door sometimes when I needed to move the truck an inch or two and wanted to see how close I was to a curb, or edge of the driveway, etc. only to have it clunk into park (after the recall). Annoying, but I got used to it.

jack67

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There is no reason to have to back up with the door open, if you can't see what you need to with mirrors and back up camera then your doing it wrong. Do the rear seat headrests block your view also?
Absolutely WRONG advice!!!
There are many situations where I want the door open backing up when I'm parking my trailer, boat work trailer etc. 98% of the time, I'm backing up very slowly to avoid, rocks, bushes, tree branches and other objects that you can't see with the door closed in narrow situations. At home, I want to see just how close I am to the driveway sides and if I'm lined up or not... I'm picky, I don't like crooked parking. The rear view & side mirrors are mostly to see directly behind you, not the sides.

This software precaution is only for idiot absent minded drivers, abet there are plenty of them. I hate it and here looking to see how to turn it off.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wow, still so many people ******** about this auto park feature… LOL. That subject’s probably been discussed on this thread three times as much as what’s the best tires for my ram?… LOL.

Plain and simple folks, if your truck’s got the auto park then just buckle your seatbelt over you or behind you or if you’re too lazy to do that, go get you one of those simple short seatbelt extenders and plug that into your seatbelt latch and guess what… You’ll never ever have to worry about your truck slamming itself into park ever again all the times you wanna open the damn door to back up. Problem solved… you’re welcome..... Again…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Razzman

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited CCSB
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Been towing and backing up travel, boat and utility trailers since I was 17, damn near 65 now and not once have I ever had to open the door to do so. Learned working for a big U-haul dealer as a teenager, ever seen how close those things are crammed together? The guy that taught me was real patient until I had it down (after denting one), never forgot that lesson. Just my experience and not passing any judgments.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I hook up to my trailer on my own 20 acres, off of a roadway I built, under my trees to do my work around my ranch, sometimes taking it on the road to get gravel or sand, etc. If I jam my door (or head) backing into my tree, it's on me.
yes the backup camera is great, I love it, but I lock my trailer coupler so getting directly under it at the start is not the thing to do. Keep your "crap".

But see, here’s the problem with your way of thinking… Even though you’re on your own property if you give yourself a concussion or even worse, drive over yourself because you fell out of the damn thing, you could still come back and sue Chrysler. that’s what they’re basically protecting themselves against.

That Star Trek actor that was mentioned in here who got himself killed from his grand Cherokee, he was on his own property but that didn’t stop the very very large undisclosed lawsuit that his surviving family got after that happened so again, public street, or your own property, it don’t matter.

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited Loaded - Sold
Trucks with a column shiftier (68RFE and AISIN) pull on a cable to adjust the transmission. The computer can prevent you from shifting from one mode to another using a electric actuator (lock it in park until you press the brake pedal for example), but can't make changes for you.

In a truck with the ZF 8 speed transmission and hockey puck knob on the dash you are electronically requesting (pretty please) that the computer change drive modes for you (it then makes changes using electric actuators inside the transmission). It can decide on it's own to shift from drive or reverse into park if wants to. Kind of like PC's used to have a power switch that actually cut electricity, now they are momentary buttons that simply request a shut down from the operating system.

This safety feature (done via recall on my 2015 1500) was due to people with the knob forgetting to put it in park before hopping out. Overall I really like the knob in my 1500, but admit that a couple of times got distracted and almost got out with it still in gear (before the recall).

Like many here, I used to open the door sometimes when I needed to move the truck an inch or two and wanted to see how close I was to a curb, or edge of the driveway, etc. only to have it clunk into park (after the recall). Annoying, but I got used to it.

My PC 2021 build has a physical power switch. And no it is not rare.

Jeff Strader

BlackBeauty
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You learn real quick to DISABLE that worthless feature. I have NO CLUE why that feature was even installed. If one does not know what mirrors and or windows are for, then they should not be driving a pickup.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2014 - this truck is new to me, the previous owner did not care for recalls, when I called the dealership they said I had 7 outstanding recalls :/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I’m surprised the dealership didn’t already take care of the recalls before they added it to their market list. I figured that was pretty much one of the main reasons for spending a little bit more money at a dealership rather than private party was for stuff like that.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I reckon we're old enough to remember when our safety was our responsibility. And maybe you missed it, but with a little brake pedal pressure, it will back up with the door open. I still would disable that feature if I could.

Saftey is your responsibility but unfortunately, safety being your responsibility doesn’t protect from lawsuits. Just ask McDonald’s about that hot coffee incident. Whether or not the hamburger giant deserved to pay that settlement to that lady, whether or not Tony Stuart deserved to pay that large settlement to the family for that track incident and whether or not FCA deserved to pay that settlement to the Star Trek dude- doesn’t matter. Your own safety should be your own concern but that doesn’t make you unable to sue someone for your own mistake.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You learn real quick to DISABLE that worthless feature. I have NO CLUE why that feature was even installed. If one does not know what mirrors and or windows are for, then they should not be driving a pickup.

It was installed because lawyers are far too skilled and good at their job getting people settlement money they didn’t deserve. And not only that, if you disable your auto park or if you circumvent it with the seatbelt behind you or from using one of those seatbelt extenders, you still can’t come back on FCA.

bm02tj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
All it takes is light touch on brake pedal so it knows you are in control
be safe out there

jack67

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This issue has been discussed before on this site. A search should get you to the right thread. If I remember correctly the fix seemed to be to keep the seat belt buckled.
Really?
What search words were used??? I used "U07- DX 8-SPEED ROTARY S" and only got these posts here.
I want to disable or turn off this idiotic update.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Absolutely WRONG advice!!!
There are many situations where I want the door open backing up when I'm parking my trailer, boat work trailer etc. 98% of the time, I'm backing up very slowly to avoid, rocks, bushes, tree branches and other objects that you can't see with the door closed in narrow situations. At home, I want to see just how close I am to the driveway sides and if I'm lined up or not... I'm picky, I don't like crooked parking. The rear view & side mirrors are mostly to see directly behind you, not the sides.

Nothing like someone self incriminating themselves about not knowing how to use their mirrors, the name tells you their function....wait for it "sideview mirrors". I bet I could hide in your blind spots.
I see hundreds of people weekly that do not have their mirrors adjusted correctly, if your wondering how I know is I can't see them in their mirror.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Really?
What search words were used??? I used "U07- DX 8-SPEED ROTARY S" and only got these posts here.
I want to disable or turn off this idiotic update.

You’re probably not going to find a whole lot by using that as your search terms. If you type in auto park, that’ll direct you to a bunch of results.

But good luck turning it off or fully disabling it. The only options you got that requires the least interaction is getting you a seatbelt extender and leave it plugged into your buckle on the right side of your lap.

Jeff Strader

BlackBeauty
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It was installed because lawyers are far too skilled and good at their job getting people settlement money they didn’t deserve. And not only that, if you disable your auto park or if you circumvent it with the seatbelt behind you or from using one of those seatbelt extenders, you still can’t come back on FCA.

Ive been driving trucks for over 40 years and have survived just fine without such an option. It's a SALES GIMMICK.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ive been driving trucks for over 40 years and have survived just fine without such an option. It's a SALES GIMMICK.

LOL!!!! Just thinkin’ about YOU, huh. Lol. That’s about the lamest response anybody could ever come up with.

YOU don’t represent every single person in this country or on this planet. Good for you if you’ve survived whatever many years without a safety feature like this. And I say safety feature because.... well, that’s what it is and its certainly not an option but uh, I’m glad there’s still folks like you who can refrain from stupid **** that the auto park protects from but again, that’s not the point. Unfortunately there are people who aren’t so fortunate. These safety features protect the manufacturer from lawsuits so no, it’s not a damn sales gimmick. I betcha FCA sure wishes they woulda had some kind of auto park feature on Anton Yelchin’s Jeep that day when he got pinned between a fence and his Jeep Grand Cherokee. Who knows how much that settlement cost them.