No cabin filter…

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I own a 2016 1500 Sport. I also assumed it had a cabin air filter but no, it didn't. I pulled the glove compartment door down, checked to see if there was a cover... no cover. The area where the cover should be looks almost identical with the exception that there were no tabs to remove the cover because there is no cover lol. It was just a solid surface. Pissed me off because I bought a nice re-washable filter, on sale for $40. Oh well, hopefully Advance Auto will let me exchange it for some oil or something...

Making a modification to allow a filter installation looks pretty easy and there are advantages to keeping the HVAC ducts cleaner.

I'd be inclined to use a Dremel tool with a shop vac to control the plastic bits going everywhere.

The Amazon.com link posted above for an OEM replacement door says 'currently unavailable' but there are many options at Amazon.ca and likely elsewhere.

I often purchase from Amazon.com and even have it shipped to Canada sometimes so, I'd hope you could also buy from .ca and have it shipped to the USA.

Last edited:

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
I own a 2016 1500 Sport. I also assumed it had a cabin air filter but no, it didn't. I pulled the glove compartment door down, checked to see if there was a cover... no cover. The area where the cover should be looks almost identical with the exception that there were no tabs to remove the cover because there is no cover lol. It was just a solid surface. Pissed me off because I bought a nice re-washable filter, on sale for $40. Oh well, hopefully Advance Auto will let me exchange it for some oil or something...
There are cheap kits to install the filter door, an easy peasy thing to do. Once you have the door merely drop your filter in.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
A razor knife blade heated with a plumbers torch will slice through that plastic like it was butter , an occasional reheat helps . Plus with this method nothing will fall into the blower . Takes less than 10 minutes ,at least mine did . Bought a k+n washable and clean it twice a year.

aeromax4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm sure you can cut out the blank piece where the cover should be. Insert the new filter and get a replacement door on amazon. My old 2016 didn't have the door or the filter but I added it.

Kris Myers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I know this is an older thread but do we have an option to add a filter to these sealed boxed without too much of a pain? I'm one of those guys that drives trucks until the tires fall off lol.

ppine

Forester
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 liter diesel
I have never changed a cabin filter in 57 years of owning vehicles. Yesterday a guy showed me the filter that came out of my wife's Subaru. It was full of dust and leaves. He wanted $50. I said "knock it off and put it back in." I will be changing the filter for around $16. 22 Ram has crummy air flow from the vents, so I will be changing it too.