no crank no start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

moonstation2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I have a 2004 2500 with 174k miles on it. Right now it's stranded a mile from my house, I shut it off and it will not start. It won't even crank.

Recently it started having a short delay between turning the key and actually cranking over sometimes, it also has a problem with draining the battery (been like that since I got it, if I drive it everyday, which I do, then it's not a problem). If I don't drive it for a few days then I have to charge it. I put a new battery in it recently, and it's fully charged, I have it on a charger where it is parked.

When I turn the key on nothing happens, the gauge needles don't rotate. I can run the stereo, heat, wipers, everything etc.

I put in a new starter (their bench tester was out so I took the plunge on a new one). No change. I put a 12v light on the wire to the starter solenoid and It does not light up when I turn the key.

If I apply 12v to the solenoid then the starter engages and turns the engine but the truck will not start even with the key in the "on" position.

I pulled all the fuses related to starting and they all look fine. I swapped the relay with the AC relay (same part number on top) and still nothing.

I figured it must be the ignition module so I swapped that out and it has also made no difference.

OP
OP
M

moonstation2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Today I checked things out some more.

There are 4 terminals on the starter relay. 1) 12v continuous, 2) 12v intermittent (from key in start position) 3) out to starter solenoid 4) clutch interlock

I get 12v at the relay when I turn the key, and I made a small jumper wire to connect that relay terminal to the one that sends 12v to the starter and when I turn the key the starter cranks.

I'm thinking maybe the problem lies in the clutch interlock, but I disconnected the wires from the clutch sensor and wired them together to bypass the sensor and it makes no difference.

OP
OP
M

moonstation2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Anyway, sorry for the 3 posts where I could have written one.

If anyone has been through this before I'd appreciate any advice. I'm in Pa so it's cold here and working outside is miserable. Somehow this truck manages to take a dump on me every time the weather is freezing cold

bankerboy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 QC 4x4 with Cummins
Engine
Cummins
I had a similar problem and it turned out to be the yellow wire from the starter that goes under the fusebox and into a connector. The connection is under the fusebox so hard to see. It shorted at the connection so no power to the starter. My guy cleaned it up and it starts fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
M

moonstation2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Thanks for the help. I could get power to the starter if I jumpered the relay so the wire to the starter wasn't my problem.

I gave up with the truck as it was too cold to work outside and I had checked out all the fairly easy stuff.

I got the truck towed and checked out by a local mechanic. He said he had to call a Chrysler hotline for help... Turned out to be a bad wire in the harness around the back of the engine. He bypassed it and said it works fine now, I should et the truck back tomorrow.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
THANK YOU for the update :) It is nice to have someone finish up a thread with the final repair lol bummer when a thread on repairs ends with out updates !