No gas cap??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Stupidest thing in the world. In any breeze over about 5 MPH, this thing blows away. I've had to chase it down, crawl under my truck, etc just to find the thing after it's blown away.
If your referring to that green plastic "plug" that is in the diesel filler neck when new, it is actually on the new vehicle pre-delivery check out sheet to be removed and discarded. They do note that the mechanic can leave it in if the vehicle is subject to dusty conditions.
My buddy never had one in his '14 CTD, he has over 100K miles so far. Not once has he had any issues with water in the fuel

There are actually two sets of flaps on the diesel filler neck. Even if water makes it past the outter flap, there is a drain between the outter and inner flaps.

Summit1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Right after I bought my 2017 Laramie 2500 CTD, I ordered and received the green billet aluminum (magnetic) cap a few dayes later.

A smart marketing move would be for dealerships to include one with each new Diesel vehicle... imprinted with the dealer name and logo, of course. A few dollars invested in good advertising and goodwill goes a long way.

ScopesNC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel
I bought my 2016 2500 ( Raod Princess ,only tows the camper ) and was shocked kind of when I saw no cap also. So bought these at Amazon, and I see someone else posted a image of it too. shorturl.at/hwxD9 My fuel filler door is a nice chrome lockable kind so not worried about a cap lock. Odds are high mine will not see any fuel theft out in the sticks where I live. Between the dogs and the guns good luck with that.

Jbp19classic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If your referring to that green plastic "plug" that is in the diesel filler neck when new, it is actually on the new vehicle pre-delivery check out sheet to be removed and discarded. They do note that the mechanic can leave it in if the vehicle is subject to dusty conditions.
My buddy never had one in his '14 CTD, he has over 100K miles so far. Not once has he had any issues with water in the fuel

There are actually two sets of flaps on the diesel filler neck. Even if water makes it past the outter flap, there is a drain between the outter and inner flaps.

Correct, that’s just a shipping plug. It’s not meant to stay there. There is no need for any kind of cap or cover on the capless filler designs. I understand some people like the look of having a cap, especially the billet ones, but there’s no real functional purpose to it.

Ole 340

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Well maybe okay on a diesel. Gas though, hope not? Hope I never find out but I'd hate to be on my lid with that being responsible to retain fuel. What we call progress these days is a bit unusual.

Dr J Cumminz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L with Aisin

This is actually really good information to know guys I just experienced this with the two flaps on the diesel neck filler. I was filling my Additive in and just filled pass the first flap. I didn't think I typed off that high, but I was like "whatever". It puddled in that section, next thing you know it was leaking onto the ground. I couldn't figure it out. I drove for about 50 miles, check it again and the Additive was still at the same level. There was no way I was getting that good of gas mileage. I pushed a screwdriver in the 1st flap to open it and take a look and discovered the second flap, then the Additive drained into the tank. Lesson here, make sure you use a long necked funnel or push the long-necked bottle of additive/anti-gel into the tank filter.

gofish101

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Outdoorsman CC
Engine
5.7 hemi
Had the capless design on my previous truck and I prefer it.

Jim Bowker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Stupidest thing in the world. In any breeze over about 5 MPH, this thing blows away. I've had to chase it down, crawl under my truck, etc just to find the thing after it's blown away.

NEVER once did my screw on cap blow away.

And there is just as much a chance of forgetting to put this stupid thing back in the filler as there is a screw on cap.

Put a retainer or holder or something on the door. These things are totally asinine.
Huh? Capless means no cap. Wife's Jeep GC is capless. If there is no cap, there is nothing to forget about or blow away in the breeze. Are we talking about the same thing?

pcguru

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Laramie
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I like the capless fuel fill on my 2019 Ram. Only problem is when I fill the lawnmower and have leftover gas I want to stick it in my Ram. I need to get out the white filler tube under passenger seat with jack to open the flaps then use the long neck skinny funnel to empty gas can. Why do I do that is because I use real gas @96 octane in mower leftovers in the Ram hemi. I can't find any funnel that will open the flaps and left me empty the gas can. Anyone know where there may be one?? Checked all auto parts stores in my area and nothing.

canadiankodiak700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L Pentastar
i was disappointed when i went to fuell mt new express classic ....opened the fuel door and there was a big yellow cap staring at me.....
had capless on my 2011 f150 and my 2017 jeep renegade. much prefer capless.... but ford's design was better than the jeep one.
at least a capless specific funnel will stay in the ford one without having to hold it in.

Jbp19classic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i was disappointed when i went to fuell mt new express classic ....opened the fuel door and there was a big yellow cap staring at me.....
had capless on my 2011 f150 and my 2017 jeep renegade. much prefer capless.... but ford's design was better than the jeep one.
at least a capless specific funnel will stay in the ford one without having to hold it in.
Same! I was a little disappointed to find the classic still has a gas cap. I got really used to not having one on previous vehicle. Not saying it’s a big deal obviously, but I have no issue with not having a screw on cap and actually prefer it now.

michael babb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 L diesel
The whole capless thing is just stupid. How are you going to keep the dirt that is everywhere on the roads in Montana out of your diesel. Maybe that is why they get
$280 to change the fuel filters every 15,000. BTW, I cut mine both open after the last change and found the first one did its job but the second one was clean as new. So my new interval will be 15k on the first one and 45k on the second. No way flaps are going to keep the dirt out when you shove the fuel nozzle into the capless. The billet one is great and magnetic so you just stick it on the body by the filler door. Pretty hard to forget it!

Ransom

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
VMI 3.0 TD
Well maybe okay on a diesel. Gas though, hope not? Hope I never find out but I'd hate to be on my lid with that being responsible to retain fuel. What we call progress these days is a bit unusual.

Then don't buy a Ford,

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Lesson here, make sure you use a long necked funnel or push the long-necked bottle of additive/anti-gel into the tank filter.
Sounds like you didn't get one of the long funnels from the factory either. There should have been one with the truck, some have reported it was in the rear floor compartment or in the glovebox.

Shiva

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Oh man..now reinvent the wheel AND expect people to use 'long funnel from the factory'' ?
Sounds like some engineer's kid with a university degree got a job and is looking for something to do for the money.

Oh man I'm sure it had to do with saving the planet by reducing escaping gas fuel vapors...

Let's see the other 97% of the world start doing their part first.

Or not...oh man

Drew Cardella

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi w/o eTorque
I love it. Both my wife and I got new vehicles this year and capless tanks are awesome!

WY-Dave

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500
Engine
6.7 CTD
This is actually really good information to know guys I just experienced this with the two flaps on the diesel neck filler. I was filling my Additive in and just filled pass the first flap. I didn't think I typed off that high, but I was like "whatever". It puddled in that section, next thing you know it was leaking onto the ground. I couldn't figure it out. I drove for about 50 miles, check it again and the Additive was still at the same level. There was no way I was getting that good of gas mileage. I pushed a screwdriver in the 1st flap to open it and take a look and discovered the second flap, then the Additive drained into the tank. Lesson here, make sure you use a long necked funnel or push the long-necked bottle of additive/anti-gel into the tank filter.

Yup same thing happened. But it just so happened that my HF funnel was long enough to hit both flaps.

I like the capless fuel fill on my 2019 Ram. Only problem is when I fill the lawnmower and have leftover gas I want to stick it in my Ram. I need to get out the white filler tube under passenger seat with jack to open the flaps then use the long neck skinny funnel to empty gas can. Why do I do that is because I use real gas @96 octane in mower leftovers in the Ram hemi. I can't find any funnel that will open the flaps and left me empty the gas can. Anyone know where there may be one?? Checked all auto parts stores in my area and nothing.

Got mine at harbor fright (as the wife calls it) I think it's this one https://www.harborfreight.com/18-inch-long-neck-black-funnel-66479.html?_br_psugg_q=funnel

I live on a dirt road and the dust gets into places you didn't know existed. Got these to make sure, under $10. There are some that have reviews that say the lil screw that holds the magnet on comes loose and both drop. I red locktite and no issues.
View media item 27200

JD Mark

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 2016, 2016
Engine
6.7, 6.4, 6.7, 5.9 in a F750

I do operate in fairly dusty conditions and a lot of snow.

Why does my '16 5500 have a twist on cap yet?

Why are the DEF caps twist on?

I'm all about reducing potential issues, or maybe I'm just old fashioned.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins

Did you look under the passenger seat? I know my cummins comes with a funnel just for that purpose and it is mounted under the passenger seat.