No gas cap??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

canadiankodiak700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L Pentastar
The whole capless thing is just stupid. How are you going to keep the dirt that is everywhere on the roads in Montana out of your diesel. Maybe that is why they get
$280 to change the fuel filters every 15,000. BTW, I cut mine both open after the last change and found the first one did its job but the second one was clean as new. So my new interval will be 15k on the first one and 45k on the second. No way flaps are going to keep the dirt out when you shove the fuel nozzle into the capless. The billet one is great and magnetic so you just stick it on the body by the filler door. Pretty hard to forget it!
Very simple, the outer flap has an opening just above it that accumulated dirt can fall through, any the makes it past will fall through the opening above the inner sealing flap. It's worked for years now. You shouldn't be getting much more than dust there anyways. Your fuel door blocks anything large.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Steven Albrecht

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cumins Diesel
I drive a RAM 2500 SLT Crew cab 4X4 with a 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel. I was initially bothered by the open fuel port, but was comforted when I read about the various internal flaps and discharge design of the capless fuel port. However, after 5 annual "water in fuel" warnings and 5 annual fuel filter changes I decided to take some preventative action. I first installed a nice polished stainless oversized cover, but it didn't fit as tightly as I wanted. I was looking for a complete overlapping tight seal over the whole fuel/DEF filling area. The cover helped reduce my problem, but did not solve it completely. Fortunately, it looked much better so money well spent. :) Determined to find a solution I decided to alter the design of this new fueling port. On Granger I found a perfect fit hole plug, (part # 1ELX7 Hole Plug, Hole D 1 1/2 in, Blk). The top of the plug is slightly larger than the internal pipe so it seals up nicely and the plug has compression tabs on the inner ring of the plug which keeps the plug in place with tension. I put a small black screw in the top to make removal easy when I fuel up. I live in the Northeast and drive frequently in snow, ice, rain, etc. The plugs come in a pack of 25 for $4.16/pkg. Even if I never use the other 24 plugs this is a bargain over the annual fuel drain and/or replace filter hassle. Maybe they will become family Christmas stocking stuff for the ones that have RAM diesels. Ha Ha

Finished Fuel Cap.jpg

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I drive a RAM 2500 SLT Crew cab 4X4 with a 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel. I was initially bothered by the open fuel port, but was comforted when I read about the various internal flaps and discharge design of the capless fuel port. However, after 5 annual "water in fuel" warnings and 5 annual fuel filter changes I decided to take some preventative action. I first installed a nice polished stainless oversized cover, but it didn't fit as tightly as I wanted. I was looking for a complete overlapping tight seal over the whole fuel/DEF filling area. The cover helped reduce my problem, but did not solve it completely. Fortunately, it looked much better so money well spent. :) Determined to find a solution I decided to alter the design of this new fueling port. On Granger I found a perfect fit hole plug, (part # 1ELX7 Hole Plug, Hole D 1 1/2 in, Blk). The top of the plug is slightly larger than the internal pipe so it seals up nicely and the plug has compression tabs on the inner ring of the plug which keeps the plug in place with tension. I put a small black screw in the top to make removal easy when I fuel up. I live in the Northeast and drive frequently in snow, ice, rain, etc. The plugs come in a pack of 25 for $4.16/pkg. Even if I never use the other 24 plugs this is a bargain over the annual fuel drain and/or replace filter hassle. Maybe they will become family Christmas stocking stuff for the ones that have RAM diesels. Ha Ha

View attachment 200994

So you think you were getting water in through the fuel cap? I honestly don't see how that is even remotely possible with the flapper design and drain. More then likely you are getting the water from where ever you fill up. That's what happens most of the time.
I've never once had the water in fuel message in 4 years and 63K miles. Truck has lived in the snow of Colorado and the rain and humidity of Georgia.

Don't get me wrong, that's a great idea for a cap, but that's not where the water is coming from.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I drive a RAM 2500 SLT Crew cab 4X4 with a 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel. I was initially bothered by the open fuel port, but was comforted when I read about the various internal flaps and discharge design of the capless fuel port. However, after 5 annual "water in fuel" warnings and 5 annual fuel filter changes I decided to take some preventative action.
I'm going to have to side with @mtnrider on this one. If your actually getting that much water in the fuel I would start investing where your getting fuel from. My buddy runs his CTD through a car wash on a regular basis and hasn't had water in his fuel. I run mine through a car wash too and don't even see inside the fuel filler get wet.
Next time you get the water in fuel warning, dump the filter into a dry container and let it sit, the water will separate out. You could have a sensor going bad that's causing the warning

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I guess if you guys NEVER do any off-roading the capless design would be ok. I bought some billet caps from Amazon right after my first fill up. The very first time I drove down a dirt road the area where the caps are located was absolutely covered in dust. Eventually that dust is going to work it's way past those flaps. I'd rather keep everything capped to prevent any problems in the future.

0106201349-01.jpg