No gauges, no ac/heat, headlights stay on, all dash lights on.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Justin L

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello

I have a 2004 Ram 1500 that has been giving me a lot of trouble and I am out of ideas. While driving everything will be fine and then the gauges will all stop working all lights (abs, gas, check engine, etc) turn on, the headlights and tail lights stay on, and blinkers won't work. I've had it in to the mechanic 3 times now and they have replaced the instrument cluster, fuse box, and ignition switch and still the issue remains. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated at this point.

Thanks!

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Welcome to RamForum.

See if your mechanic can find and replace the Body Control Module or Front Control Module. That module controls all those functions.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Before you do that, I would check two things:
1) Ensure it's charging correctly when it's doing these things. I've had the EXACT same thing occur after a while at road speed b/c the alt wasn't charging properly at higher RPMs. Funny thing is it would charge fine at slower residential speeds and idle. When I would pull over to check, it began charging. The problem occurred usually when the AC and fan were on and especially the lights (greater amp draw). Actually, it was the belt slipping (installed wrong) that led to a no-charge situation. But here's the thing: all the mechanics who had looked at it had scratched their heads and each felt it was the most expensive part to replace. It ended up being the belt mis-routed which was possible on the particular vehicle. I needed to replace the Alt. pulley because it became glazed and worn down due to the slippage. check for sharp pulley ridges.

2) Bad common ground. I've also had a similar thing occur (not a dodge vehicle) when there was a bad common ground. Check that.

Everyone always points to the most expensive part, but most times problems are simple. Start with the simple things first. Let us know what it was.

fastf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Ram 1500 Quad Cab SLT Thunder road
Engine
From the old Fast one very wise cookie this Jeepwalker.

Ian_Olivas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L Magnum
Hello

I have a 2004 Ram 1500 that has been giving me a lot of trouble and I am out of ideas. While driving everything will be fine and then the gauges will all stop working all lights (abs, gas, check engine, etc) turn on, the headlights and tail lights stay on, and blinkers won't work. I've had it in to the mechanic 3 times now and they have replaced the instrument cluster, fuse box, and ignition switch and still the issue remains. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated at this point.

Thanks!
any luck with the fix, having about the same issues right now