No high beams

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kolinek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have a 2019 Ram w/hemi. My automatic head light dimmer does not work. I went to the computer and took off the auto dimming and I have highbeams. Replace it to auto dim and no high beams. Have taken it to two dealerships and they don’t know what’s wrong. I have the extra 100,00 mile warranty but they act like it’s too much trouble. Suggestions?

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Just to clarify...the high beams will only come on under certain conditions. Basically, it needs to be dark enough. First off, did you get a message in the gauge cluster display telling you the auto-dim headlights are active? Under what conditions were you driving in when you tested them out? City, highway, were there any bright lights in front of your truck, or signs which reflected brightly? All of these can keep the high beams from coming on when they are in auto mode.

OP
OP
K

kolinek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I had the truck on a busy highway at around 9:00pm so plenty dark. They would not go to bright with the computer saying the auto was set. No blue light comes on on the instrument panel. I’m nota mechanic nutmy nephew is a fantastic mechanic. He said the(and I don’t remember what the part was called) turn signal dimmer assembly needed to be changed. They finally did that and still no auto di. He said another problem was to do with the fuse box. I don’t know. I’m at a loss. Thanks for your response.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I had the truck on a busy highway at around 9:00pm so plenty dark. They would not go to bright with the computer saying the auto was set. No blue light comes on on the instrument panel. I’m nota mechanic nutmy nephew is a fantastic mechanic. He said the(and I don’t remember what the part was called) turn signal dimmer assembly needed to be changed. They finally did that and still no auto di. He said another problem was to do with the fuse box. I don’t know. I’m at a loss. Thanks for your response.
Busy highway? Try finding a desolate stretch of highway to test them if you can. With no other traffic. Lights from other cars will keep the high beams off.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
^^^ what he said
the auto high beams turn off if other light sources are around, even street lights. Even a normal road with light traffic will keep them off. Go someplace without street lights to test them.

OP
OP
K

kolinek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I live in the country so I’ve tried all road ligting situations. Still not working correctly. Just real peplexing that the two shops couldn’t find anything. I’ve always been impressed with Dodge. This ws my 7th Dodge Ram w/hemi. Not very impessed any more. They acted like it was my fault. Wrong.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
I have auto headlights and high beams. If it set on, you leave the stalk all the way forward all the time. Then when the light sensors feel its necessary the module will activate high beam. Things that will cause high beam to NOT be activated are reflective street signs, oncoming traffic, red taillights upto 1/4 mile away, street lights, to name a few. Also the highbeam activation is not always immediate either.
It sounds like you need to turn the option off and go old school style, manual high beams.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
It sounds like you need to turn the option off and go old school style, manual high beams.
OMG, not that! :p

I was told that the 2017 Rebel I bought new had auto-dimming headlights. Sales rep lied (go figure). Once I figured out I didn't have it I was a little bummed. But up to that point I had always had to manually change that, so it wasn't that big a deal. I'd be a little more upset if the truck really was supposed to have that. I'd keep going back and bothering them until they make it right.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
OMG, not that! :p

I was told that the 2017 Rebel I bought new had auto-dimming headlights. Sales rep lied (go figure). Once I figured out I didn't have it I was a little bummed. But up to that point I had always had to manually change that, so it wasn't that big a deal. I'd be a little more upset if the truck really was supposed to have that. I'd keep going back and bothering them until they make it right.
I think his truck does have it, it just isn't what he expects. If it picks up any light from the front it will not kick on the highbeams automatically. And if you have Auto mode selected there is no way to manually turn on the highbeams. It's just the way it is. You can pull the stalk back all the way to activate highbeam for a flash but as soon as you let go it goes back to low beam.