Help Support Ram Forum by donating:

No MDS on 2013 Laramie?

Discussion in 'Engine & Performance' started by Aleckb, Nov 28, 2019.

Sponsored By: Moe's Performance
  1. JoeCo

JoeCo Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Absolutely agree, kind of similar to the car tires they put on them for better mileage. Give me some good all terrains that actually look and perform correctly for a truck. And sounds like a great setup, bet it sounds awesome.

Brandon-w likes this.
  2. Brandon-w

Brandon-w Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    It definately is, it's especially helpful when towing it eats fuel haha. But that said if you seen what I tow.

JoeCo likes this.
  3. Stephen JP Ingley

Stephen JP Ingley Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7 Hemi
    2013 Laramie Longhorn with MDS. 5.7Hemi 6AT 3:55 Rear End 4x4. Green Filter and Flowmaster 40. The only two ways I know of to Disable MDS is with an Aftermarket Tuner OR by pushing in the Tow/Haul Mode Switch on the Center Console. That is what I do for running around town. I disable the THM once I am on the Interstate and thereby enabling the MDS and occasional ECO Light. 13 City and 17 Hwy with AT Tires and minimal load. Your MPGs are great given your lift, tires, and gears. Never shoot a gifted horse and yours is gifted... JP

4. CPTII

CPTII Junior Member Military

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    So the ECO light is a display setting. My brother in law has a ‘13 and he had to turn the light on. As far as the rest, not sure

5. Ram1958

Ram1958 Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    Go into settings and see if "Show fuel saver" is on or off. That does not turn MDS off or on, it only does the light. I never feel shifts under normal acceleration with light on or off.

6. Aleckb

Aleckb Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7 Hemi
    It is definitely a Hemi. I have original sticker and bulid sheet. Also have a 2015 Grand Cherokee w a 5.7.

7. Aleckb

Aleckb Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7 Hemi
    With aftermarket exhaust it sounds horrible going from 4 to 8 and vice versa. Also throttle response and it sounds like from some comments on here it doesn't help gas mileage that much so why even have it. I have stock exhaust so the sound problem doesn't concern me...yet. As for MPG, I am getting about 12.8 combo city/ highway and my Grand Cherokee (4WD) w/ 5.7 and MDS (Can tell it's working) gets about 16.5 city/ highway. It's a lot smaller and weighs less so that would explain the better MPG. I am just looking for a way to help the MPG, thats why I wanted to try and see why it wasn't working.

8. Aleckb

Aleckb Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7 Hemi
    Yeah, I don't have the option to turn the ECO light on. The radio needs an update so maybe after I do that I will be able to turn on the fuel saver. I have the update downloaded and have been trying to update it for days now. Won't acknowledge the update no matter what I do. Tried several different thumbdrives and so far no luck. That's another topic though. Thanks.

9. Aleckb

Aleckb Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7 Hemi
    Checked, no codes.

Hemi395 likes this.
  10. crackerjack1957

crackerjack1957 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7...6-speed...4.56
    Everything I have always updated has been downloaded as a zip file............you need to extract (unzip) files to thumb drive......not put zip file on......just throwing that out there.....you may have already known this.
    I have the basic radio & my eco light has always come on......so no idea about the fuel saver being able to turn light on or off.
    I have updated the 2014 Jeep Cherokee several times though with thumb drive by extracting zipped files.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019