No more nitto recons hello AT3s

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dinky

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I originally bought 17in wheels and had a hard time finding a tire to make load rating for my 3500. Nitto recons were one my buddy suggested and hated them since I installed them. Pulled out of the car wash earlier this week tires a bit wet and could not get traction. Winter time is coming sooner than later and i have a few jobs over mountain passes snow flake tires are a must. Seeing how I could not find a snowflake tire in a 17in wheels I was forced to go to a 18in wheel. I Went with fuel vector 18x9 20mm offset and Toyo AT3 35x12.5 F load rating. So far they ride a lot better than the nitto recons on 17in wheels and I am sure traction won't be a issue anymore. If anyone close to oregon want a decent set of wheels and ok tires let me know.

Attachments

• 20220901_184710.jpg
    20220901_184710.jpg
    270.2 KB · Views: 50
  • 20220901_184730.jpg
    20220901_184730.jpg
    295.5 KB · Views: 50
OP
OP
Dinky

Dinky

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
One picture sucks I'll get a better one tomorrow.

OP
OP
Dinky

Dinky

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
20220902_082445.jpg

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
Well everyone knows I love the Nitto Ridge Grapplers but from what I have been hearing from people who have these on their trucks they actually suck lol ...

Just ran into a guy when I was getting my wheels/tires balanced and he asked me about the Grapplers, he said he just got the Recons and he hates them as well ... can't get them balanced without needing tons of weight ... in the rain he said they have no traction and are noisy ...

For the price he was pissed off pretty bad and he said he was going to go with the Ridge Grapplers instead ...

OP
OP
Dinky

Dinky

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah I was getting the same experience. I think the compound is too hard. The ride was very rough even with tire pressure lowered. I have talked to a few local guys as well same issue. When I got them install I was having a hard time hitting weight rating. I should of shipped the 17in wheels back and went 18in originally. Oh well i will keep the nittos for a summer tire and run my toyo AT3s in the winter. Don't really need to sell them but if someone offers me money I would lol. I am already at 300miles today and it's a lot better ride.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
Yeah I was getting the same experience. I think the compound is too hard. The ride was very rough even with tire pressure lowered. I have talked to a few local guys as well same issue. When I got them install I was having a hard time hitting weight rating. I should of shipped the 17in wheels back and went 18in originally. Oh well i will keep the nittos for a summer tire and run my toyo AT3s in the winter. Don't really need to sell them but if someone offers me money I would lol. I am already at 300miles today and it's a lot better ride.
Yeah that's a good idea keeping them for summer ... and if the price is right hey hand them over to someone ....

I personally still love my Ridge Grapplers, 23,000 miles give or take and they are still running smooth especially since I just got them all rebalanced ....

OP
OP
Dinky

Dinky

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah that's a good idea keeping them for summer ... and if the price is right hey hand them over to someone ....

I personally still love my Ridge Grapplers, 23,000 miles give or take and they are still running smooth especially since I just got them all rebalanced

Oh they ran smooth but bumps were kinda harsh lol. I go over a lot of mountain passes and they restrict vehicles over certain weight to have chains, studs, or traction tires. Normal all terrain don't work when DOT pulls you over lol.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
Oh they ran smooth but bumps were kinda harsh lol. I go over a lot of mountain passes and they restrict vehicles over certain weight to have chains, studs, or traction tires. Normal all terrain don't work when DOT pulls you over lol.
I only mention the smoothness because some have said that after 20k even 10k and 15k the Grapplers ride like crap .... I doubt they monitor their tires, balance and don't rotate like they should ... very easy to ruin tires is what I tell people ...

OP
OP
Dinky

Dinky

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I only mention the smoothness because some have said that after 20k even 10k and 15k the Grapplers ride like crap .... I doubt they monitor their tires, balance and don't rotate like they should ... very easy to ruin tires is what I tell people ...

yes rotating tires is key. main reason i never order tires online just buy local for free tire rotating. Discount tire with their road hazard warranty is the best thing ever. last time i took my tires in for rotate and balance one wheel they actually removed all weights from the Recon lol. kind of weird but never any issues still smooth. I bought my truck end of January and i am sitting at 15k miles now, nittos were on since 3k. I will have different experience with most tires than a guy in a 1500. I have to have a tire rated for 3500lbs min no matter the tire name the compound and sidewall is different.

PCT

2019 2500 6.4
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This opinion is 100% opinion, BUT, i have run 2 sets of Nittos, Terra grappler G2, and Trail Grappler, and hated both of them. Some one i know also runs Ridge grappler and not a fan. I really want to run the new Recon grappler when im through these coopers (came with wheels i bought). I get the feeling Nitto is almost form over function. There tires look aggressive and what not, but dont actually perform very well.

OP
OP
Dinky

Dinky

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This opinion is 100% opinion,
I am in northern oregon. If you want to meet part way ill make you s deal on wheels and tires lol. 35x12.5 recons. I couldn't wait till winter I don't think the would preform in snow or ice well. I know a lot of people that run nitto and love them. I personally won't buy another set I prefer snow flake all terrains. They seem to ride better and perform in wet conditions better.

JJEH

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Interesting how experiences with the same product differ so much. It really seems when it comes to tires people either hate them or love them. I just changed my Ridge Grapplers after 4yrs and ~73,000 miles. I think that's a great lifespan (would have been better if it wasn't for that dry rot which actually cracked the carcass). They also ran wonderfully in the snow by the way. Got the Recon now because I wanted to try them and so far, no complaints. If they weren't available, I would have bought the Ridge again, no hesitation.

Reactions: JCE

brian42

Military
Reaction score
Another happy Ridge Grappler user. Got 50K+ out of my first set and 1/2 way through my second set.

I have 3.21s so I'm not interested in E-rated options which leaves me limited. For me the RG is the best option I have for the few I have to choose from.

JCE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just changed my Ridge Grapplers after 4yrs and ~73,000 miles
I’m on about 25k (closer to 26k) miles on my Ridge Grapplers and the are still practically new. Would never consider anything else with the performance and mileage I’m getting.