No oil in the engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
We had to when I started to drive in 1958. They were hard to catch
Well in 1958, go to the Sinclair station and wave at the Dino on the sign. Station south of where I grew up had a Big Dino Statue at the station, lol.

sinclair.JPG

Zoe Saldana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
I shudder to think of how much money you've wasted in all those years. o_O

Haha...kidding of course. Change your oil at whatever interval you're comfortable with. UOA's can give you a good idea whether you're changing it too often or not. I change mine just under once per year. But we only put about 7k miles on annually and use synthetic oil and filters. UOA's have shown there is lots of life left in the oil at that interval, but since the truck is still under warranty I want to stay within that interval.

In the 70s and years after the recommendation was 3K miles; so he was saving money.

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
In the 70s and years after the recommendation was 3K miles; so he was saving money.
trust me back in the 70's and 80's it was probably 2000-2500 mile changes and on motorcycles even less. regardless it was always less than whatever the vehicles recommended interval was. I have lost count of the vehicles I have owned but never once had an engine problem with any of them.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Are the Synthetic Dinosaurs hard to find ?
My Ram uses synthetic oil
DUNNO, U live in friggin California, maybe your Governor gonna outlaw OIL once your state does the electric thang? LMAO>>>

OP
OP
Charvey

Charvey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
This light didn't come on?

Read here:

The engine oil pressure warning light will come on if the engine oil pressure is low, or if the oil pressure sensor is faulty. In either case, engine power may be reduced significantly. The check engine light may also illuminate, and an on-board diagnostic (OBD) trouble code will be stored in the vehicle's computer.
Nope CDJR dealer has torn the engine apart now & saying it looks like the "cam, lifters & bearings are in need of replacement". I was like I can only imagine.

hi miler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Had a Cummings that did the very exact same thing. #2 piston broke the oil ring only and that caused the piston to act like a pump and pushed all the oil out through the crankcase vent. Check if you have oil back underneath your truck.

OP
OP
Charvey

Charvey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
So the parts (cam, lifters & bearings) are ordered & dealer says it rolling by next week. I keep asking where could the oil have gone. The "tech" said today that the engine must have been "using" oil & it got to the point that it started throwing codes & making noise. Also said the inside of the engine was clean & no sludge, no sludge so it is covered under warranty. Finally was told there were about 2 quarts of oil in it when they pulled the pan, originally said it did not have any oil. This is the strangest scenario I've ever experienced regarding oil & an engine.

OP
OP
Charvey

Charvey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
Had a Cummings that did the very exact same thing. #2 piston broke the oil ring only and that caused the piston to act like a pump and pushed all the oil out through the crankcase vent. Check if you have oil back underneath your truck.
I'll check it out but from what dealer service is saying everything was clean. It is an oil disappearance currently w/ no answers.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
In the early 80’s, the Toyota 22r (one of the most durable engines made) had an oil change interval of 10k miles.
I had one in a service truck, hard to keep head gaskets in it, but it did have 400k on it when I retired
What about the early hemi? I should still have a owner’s manual.

But we’re going sideways 7km isn’t to many miles for highway driving
City,winter abit much we sit at - 30
If there was no oil it would go in limp mode, than boil the water and
Crash no way he could start it up and drive ???? Miles
Btw when I started driving we had to watch for them on the dirt roads

jagman_xjs

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 2011 2019 2023
Engine
5.7 Hemi(s)
I see you are from Indy. If you are using Columbus RAM/Jeep . I would say that is PART of the problem. I will NEVER use them again. But after 42k on my RAM and no oil useage even during break in. I to REALLY question the honesty of your dealership.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
So the parts (cam, lifters & bearings) are ordered & dealer says it rolling by next week. I keep asking where could the oil have gone. The "tech" said today that the engine must have been "using" oil & it got to the point that it started throwing codes & making noise. Also said the inside of the engine was clean & no sludge, no sludge so it is covered under warranty. Finally was told there were about 2 quarts of oil in it when they pulled the pan, originally said it did not have any oil. This is the strangest scenario I've ever experienced regarding oil & an engine.
Glad to hear they aren't fighting you on a warranty claim. At this point, they think the engine was using oil, which is a warranty issue. The question of where the oil went is a moot point now. It's definitely something that would be good to know, but I'd avoid bringing that up at the dealership from this point forward. If this was a common problem, I'd be more concerned with getting to root cause. But this seems to be a one-off issue. The chance of having the same thing happen on your new engine is next to zero.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My big question, if it was burning oil i would like to see the sparkplugs and what shape are your catalytic converters in?

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Which bearings are being replaced ?

Cash22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well if you could still crank/run engine it was not empty of oil. Maybe they ment not touching dipstick. Not sure how much oil it takes to get up to dipstick though.
Maybe it’s only leaking when your driving it.