No overdrive

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mj23polaris1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
01 ram 2500 5.9 gas, put a fresh trans in it from firepunk, fluids good and it shifts good. But won't go into overdrive. Reason transmission was replaced is this truck is a off-road toy, and last time I really drove it a few years ago I turned it into a boat and had water up into the cab on the driver's side. After this incident I drove the truck home and it wouldn't go into overdrive on way home, well the fluid looked like a strawberry milkshake.

I don't think there is anything mechanically wrong with the new trans, it did sit in my garage for along time till it was put it. Does it just need drove? I had a older man tell me to try driving it and see if it would "free up"?????

Is there a ground that may be bad or something electrical I should look into? I checked the one fuse under the hood and it was good but could the relay in the fuse box be bad? I meant to get one tonight but didn't make it to store in time.

Could the trans be from a different year truck? The plugs all work but could there be something different about what the computer is reading?

I don't have any codes could it be my throttle position sensor?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I would verify that the PCM is energizing the 3-4 shift solenoid at speeds above 40mph.

If I remember correctly, the wire from the PCM is in the C2 connector Pin 21
Brown wire.

Put the rear axle on stands and connect a test light to this wire and run the trans through the gears until 40mph+ and see if the test lights glows.

This will tell you if the PCM is doing it's job. If the PCM is doing it's job by commanding the 3-4 shift like it should, then we can move to the
TCC/OD Solenoid.

Also, have you verified during driving that the Torque Converter Clutch is being applied in 3rd gear? Press the button to turn off 4th gear and watch the tach to see if the converter clutch is being applied while driving. Under normal acceleration you should see the Converter Clutch apply around 35mph in 3rd gear.

JimW124

Reaction score
Ram Year
1999 dodge 2500 diesel
Engine
5.9Ltd. Diesel:
You're probably going to find you have an electrical issue. You were under water if I read your post correctly. Your ETAC is on your firewall to the left when you open the hood, that controls your trans., however this 01 sat for two years so your need to grab a meter and start looking from the switch on your gear shift and look for corrosion in connectors down to the trans. Also your etac ground wire is about a foot over to the right on the firewall. Should be two wires there, clean your area from corrosion and run an additional ground wire from the battery. If all else fails have the dealership run the drb and activate the sensors for diagnosis. It maybe something small. Good luck.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
You're probably going to find you have an electrical issue. You were under water if I read your post correctly. Your ETAC is on your firewall to the left when you open the hood, that controls your trans., however this 01 sat for two years so your need to grab a meter and start looking from the switch on your gear shift and look for corrosion in connectors down to the trans. Also your etac ground wire is about a foot over to the right on the firewall. Should be two wires there, clean your area from corrosion and run an additional ground wire from the battery. If all else fails have the dealership run the drb and activate the sensors for diagnosis. It maybe something small. Good luck.

With a DRB-III connected to this truck we could easily run through the inputs and outputs to determine if the PCM was doing it's job commanding the TCC/OD Solenoid.

You can check to see if the transmission relay is being energized when you turn the ignition key to the run position.

As the other poster stated, check your grounds and go through the wiring and look for corrosion.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Here's the factory troubleshooting of your issue. What it doesn't mention is fluid level which is what i would double check firstScreenshot_20190915-075730_Drive.jpg