No power coming from brand new battery

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

that90w150

Reaction score
Ram Year
1990 dodge ram w150 Royal
Engine
Bored and stroked Mopar 440 BB
Me and my buddy are currently in the middle of an engine swap on his 1990 dodge w150 Royal. We pulled the 318/46rh and dropped a 440/727 package in it from a 1982 dodge ram charger. We pulled the whole harness from the 82 and plugged it into the 90 cab harness. We have everything situated, all of the grounds are grounded to good spots, but we have no power when we turn the key. Any help would be appreciated! This is our first engine swap and we're just going off of what we know at this point.

B250

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L V8 MFI
Tricky. The problem with swapping engines from very different model years is the whole electronics system will be completely different. The 82 would have had a primitive ECU and maybe carbs? The 90 had electronic fuel injection and diagnostic abilities. The fuel/air mixture and timing profile programmed into the ECU will be completely different for the 440 than the 318. You'll probably have to swap a lot of the electronics and sensors from the 82 into the 90 to get it to run properly. When I thought about doing this swap the easiest way I could see would be to retrofit carbs and an old dizzy with points onto the enigne. The fuel line pressure will be different for carbs and SFI aswell.

On my B250 there are several large cables from the battery that go above the engine to the alternator/starter, and are spliced into the various subcircuits near the brake booster. The color of the large cables is NOT A GUARANTEE OF POLARITY - a couple of black cables are actually +12v.

I've attached the pages from the manual for my van about the starting/charging circuits. You'll need the manuals for both vehicles, and a multimeter, as you'll have to splice the corresponding wires from each year's vehicle to each other (which may be different colors). There are two crap push-fit bullet-type connectors on the battery cables which seem to work loose and corrode.

I've started sticking labels on each wire so I know what circuit they supply - over the decades the original wire colors have faded so no longer match what is in the manual!

Good luck

Attachments

• NEW-2.jpg
    NEW-2.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 3

1985 W350

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'd get a 1982 MOPAR Service Manual for the D/W/Ramcharger -- invaluable info and a number of pages will be devoted to the 1982's electrical system. I also rely heavily on Power Probes to trace electrical problems -- great tool. The 1982 is very basic (no ECU) but those bulkhead connectors can be a PITA.

Attachments

• 85_Bulkhead_Connector_596_pix.jpg
    85_Bulkhead_Connector_596_pix.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 4