No response from key

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dougstattoo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've bean stumped,lol.have a 2013 ram 1500,was testing wires under dash on driver side,one most have bean to hot and it started melting the tester.took it off and thought everything was fine.than the truck shut off and hasn't started sense.checked all the fuses,tested all the wires,have power going to everything.but when I turn the key I get nothing,nothing on the dash lights up,no power at all,but if I open the doors the dash comes on quick and the interior light comes on..just nothing when I use the key,,,I need help...

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Have you checked the fuse box for open fuses? Sorry, mustn't be awake yet. :cool:

I just read your post again and see you did check fuses.

And, welcome to Ram Forum.

Is there any possibility that you didn't notice one of the fuses being open?

Most open fuses are obvious, some are not so much. An open fuse also might be more obvious to younger eyes. I have to look twice now even while wearing my reading glasses. :cool:

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

dougstattoo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yeah I have gone through the fuses like 3 times,just to make sure,lol.i have also tried bypassing the ignition,the truck will turn over but not start,,didn't see if the dash lights came on when doing that yet,,havnt had anyone able to watch inside the truck while I connected the wires in the fuse box..

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
"one most have bean to hot and it started melting the tester."

What type of tester were you using that got hot enough to start melting?
And do you have an idea of where you were connected when this happened and carefully inspected that area?

I apologize, I have no experience with this type of fault and can't offer much beyond the basics.

The TIPM (fuse box) also contains relays. If you were to create a short significant enough to melt your tester, you may have damaged wiring, opened a fuse somewhere, or damaged a relay associated with starting and/or the EVIC (dash display).

I'll look to see if I can identify a relay that might cause the EVIC & starting problem.

You've most likely ruled out an open fuse by multiple inspections.

Hopefully, someone with more experience in this area will contribute sooner than later. :cool:

Do you know anywhere you might borrow an OBD2 scanner? If not, this might be a good time to find a deal somewhere and get your own. With a dead EVIC, you have no way to read DTC codes which may be your only direction forward after inspections haven't been productive.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

dougstattoo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Honestly I'm not sure what the wire exactly goes to that melted the tester.it taped up with the ignition wires along with others,with that black tape thay use.its a gray adapter that doesn't plug into anything under thare,will the reader work with being able to put the truck in accessory or start?didnt try that cause I wasn't sure if it would work.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Any time I've used an OBD2 reader, the codes appear after moving the ignition to the on position without starting.

Do you have access to an OBD2 reader?

Tomorrow, when i login using my pc, I'll try to scare up more assistance with this issue.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Worst case, bad TIPM solder joint fried the cpu or something else vital. Which is why you need to address the TIPM first, because if you did the later and this was the situation, the TIPM would fry it again, in theory. Not even saying it is the TIPM, just make sure it is correct before you start fixing stuff.

You already changed the battery in the fob?

Last edited:

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Stepping back to the basics, I never did ask you about the age or condition of your battery.

How old is it and what is the battery voltage with the truck off?

It should be somewhere between 12.5 & 12.8 VDC approximately.

Could you also test the voltage with the key in the on position to see if something could be pulling the voltage down?

From the info you provided, am I safe to assume you're unable to start the engine period since the melting of the tester incident?

OP
OP
D

dougstattoo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The battery int the phop.and the truck are both new.,truck was put in 2 months ago.and the key was 2 days ago

OP
OP
D

dougstattoo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've now took the fuse box out and checked everything thare,everything looks good,plugged in the OBD2 and it keeps saying error, cause it can't read anything without the truck being on,,I also tried bypasses,using the starter relay, all it does is turn over but won't start..not sure what else I can do...