No start, no lights, truck completely dead!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
R

ramman7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had the battery tested today at O'Reilly and it checks out perfect

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had the battery tested today at O'Reilly and it checks out perfect

Good to hear.

Now that you've cleared that up, time to start looking at grounds.

Check YouTube to find instructions for testing the negative battery lead.

I'd begin there because it's very easy to test with a multimeter and then the fun starts.

You can search the 3rd gen section here to locate a thread identifying the most common grounds and how to clean them up.

MikeT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
One other place to look is your ignition switch wires. I know a small pita to get to, but they have been known to over heat burn contacts, melt insulation, and cause a no response of any kind when turning the key on. It's just a possibility.

Mike

seanclark1503

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Turbo Diesel
Start with the easiest, cheapest and most importantly…. The most basic of the things that are likely to be the problem. If you’re battery is good, then it is probably a major connection to ground. If you want to eliminate a suspected cause completely, remove all of your ground straps from both sides and use sandpaper or scrubber pad and apply vinegar/baking soda to the surfaces if they’re not perfectly clean . If you do this completely and properly, you will not have to do it again. I added a few extra ground wires to my motor and sealed them all with HAIRSPRAY. I don’t like that red battery sealer spray , I prefer clear and cheap . Do this one thing and you’ll know it’s not the problem, otherwise it will be the same thing again and again for years. Everytime you get a new code or issue.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Start with the easiest, cheapest and most importantly…. The most basic of the things that are likely to be the problem. If you’re battery is good, then it is probably a major connection to ground. If you want to eliminate a suspected cause completely, remove all of your ground straps from both sides and use sandpaper or scrubber pad and apply vinegar/baking soda to the surfaces if they’re not perfectly clean . If you do this completely and properly, you will not have to do it again. I added a few extra ground wires to my motor and sealed them all with HAIRSPRAY. I don’t like that red battery sealer spray , I prefer clear and cheap . Do this one thing and you’ll know it’s not the problem, otherwise it will be the same thing again and again for years. Everytime you get a new code or issue.
Sean: Would send a PM, but your account does not offer ability.

Hairspray? Dats a new one. Have used the over the counter stuff, or just light coat of grease, but these days guys buy dielectric and use. Hairspray, dat be a new one.