No start up noise after turning off MDS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Whitey426

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Hi all,
I recently bought a 2019 2500 6.4 4500 miles. I love the truck but hate the start up noise a ton of people are taking about.

I turned off the MDS for the 1st time and drove to the store. When I remote started the truck leaving the store. Absolutely no noise at all. I’m going to try it again after work.

Let me know if anyone had the same results.

iLLeStEyECoN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Hi all,
I recently bought a 2019 2500 6.4 4500 miles. I love the truck but hate the start up noise a ton of people are taking about.

I turned off the MDS for the 1st time and drove to the store. When I remote started the truck leaving the store. Absolutely no noise at all. I’m going to try it again after work.

Are you referring to the rattling that dealerships continuously (and I think erroneously) attribute to the lifters?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
W

Whitey426

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
No, its more of the exhaust chatter.
I haven’t had the truck long but that was the 1st time it didn’t make that noise.

LeesEvoX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l
but MDS isnt active on start up??? and even if it was, it defaults to being ON, and you have to turn it off everytime. So how are you doing this?

Please explain in further detail

OP
OP
W

Whitey426

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
That’s what’s odd. The truck sounded perfect. How could this happen with a 5 min drive with MDS off? I’m going to try it again when I get off. Maybe, I will try to record it.

My 1st Ram! I didn’t know they are so temperamental.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Hi all,

I'm not familiar with the MDS on the 2500's. I can only assume that it works the same as the 1500's. First, how are you turning MDS off (what is your method)? Second, as mentioned already, MDS is never active at start-up or while idling. I think this must have been a coincidence.

OP
OP
W

Whitey426

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I’m hitting the -bottom on my gear limits then + to 8th gear.

My truck has been sitting for a few hours. I just started it and it sounds like crap again. It must just go away when it’s warm. I wish I could post a video it sounds horrible.

Some guys in here say it’s normal. I heard a few of the other trucks start and they sound the same as mine.

OP
OP
W

Whitey426

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I select -on gear limit and +8th gear.

The sound must go away when it’s warm. I just tried starting my truck again after sitting for a few hours and it sounds like crap again. It sounds horrible.

A few guys on this forum says that noise is normal. I did test drive 3 of them and they all sounded like that.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You might just be hearing normal noise as the lifters fill up with oil

My 01 frontier does it every start-up to this day and it's still going strong. My ram does it if it sits unused for more than a couple days. I don't let it bother me too much

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Musky Mike

Reaction score
Ram Year
If you are using the Mopar oil filter (or a low end filter) I would try a premium filter with a better anti-drain back valve. Fram Ultra, Purorlater Boss, Amsoil, Royal Purple etc. Can't hurt anything to try it, $10 and a few minutes to swap it out. Assuming the start up chatter is from the engine.

Last edited:

Motoman501

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
If the noise you are referring to is the exhaust chatter it is very common in 6.4's and does go away with a warm engine. I hate how my truck sounds at startup but so far there doesn't seem to be a solution.

WoodGuy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mine does have a different "rumble" at cold/high idle start-up, but nothing that makes me think somethings wrong. For the last 25 years I've been driving diesels, and compared to those this 6.4 is whisper quiet ;)

OP
OP
W

Whitey426

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
It’s definitely exhaust. Did my 1st oil change with penzoil (recommendation) and mobile 1 oil filter and sounds the same. I guess I will just try to get used to it.