Noise at rear of truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aeromax4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a 2020 1500 Laramie, no air ride. Every time I hit a bump in the road, even a small bump, I get a noise coming from the rear of the truck. I noticed the truck only has coil springs, no shocks. the springs are not broken and nothing appears to be loose. At first I thought it may be the spare tire loose but it wasn't. The sway bar seems to be tight as well. Any thoughts or recommendations on a fix? TIA.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
You should have rear shocks as well, they are just separate, correct?

What does noise sound like? If a squeak it could be a bad bushing at a connection point or a shock is bad. If a thump, something is loose, again could be a shock or the spare could be jarred enough to shift. Try removing the spare first and see if that solves it. Check all connections in back and tighten to spec. Rear sway bar bushings could be bad and need replacement.

OP
OP
aeromax4

aeromax4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

What does noise sound like? If a squeak it could be a bad bushing at a connection point or a shock is bad. If a thump, something is loose, again could be a shock or the spare could be jarred enough to shift. Try removing the spare first and see if that solves it. Check all connections in back and tighten to spec. Rear sway bar bushings could be bad and need replacement.
I do have shocks and coils. Both shocks are tight. I'm now wondering if they need to be replaced. 41000 miles? I bounce the rear bed and the truck doesn't bounce, it stays tight.

Last edited:
OP
OP
aeromax4

aeromax4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Thanks for responding.

OP
OP
aeromax4

aeromax4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you have a hitch receiver that you leave on when not towing, they can rattle/bang around a lot on bumps.
I do have the hitch but don't tow. I never put a receiver in the hitch. I'll put it up on ramps and secure with jack stands when it cools off a bit. It's not a rattle but more a clunk. Only when hitting even the slightest of bumps.