Noise Cancellation glitch.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JRI2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cold start, fast idle, radio playing kinda loud, heard a strange drone for the first time in a one-week-old truck. Had no idea. Thought it was the new draw bar I just installed, vibrating in the hitch receiver. Then, the pitch and intensity changed with engine RPM, and I realized it was the active noise cancellation going beserk. After a mild panic during my trip, wondering how long I had to live with this, I pulled over and cycled the ignition. I have not heard it again.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
the ANC in mine made a droning sound to my ears at a certain speed so I disconnected it early on.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
What is active noise cancellation?
Basically the ambient sound within the cab is processed and played back at 180° out of phase to "cancel" out the sound to make the inside of the truck quieter.
A crude explanation of how it works, if you where listening to a song and a drum beat made the speaker move outwards to produce the sound, ANC would be another speaker playing the same song and drum beat only with the speaker moving inwards

KC5TGQ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Etorque
Mine had a loud drone that started with morning crank up. Hopefully it will go away when I crank it again on lunch break. It sounded like a seat belt warning or something. Made the radio unuseable.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
Cold start, fast idle, radio playing kinda loud, heard a strange drone for the first time in a one-week-old truck. Had no idea. Thought it was the new draw bar I just installed, vibrating in the hitch receiver. Then, the pitch and intensity changed with engine RPM, and I realized it was the active noise cancellation going beserk. After a mild panic during my trip, wondering how long I had to live with this, I pulled over and cycled the ignition. I have not heard it again.
Mine had a loud drone that started with morning crank up. Hopefully it will go away when I crank it again on lunch break. It sounded like a seat belt warning or something. Made the radio unuseable.

Hi, I'm sorry to hear this. Please let me know if you plan on visiting a dealership for this concern. I would be happy to open a case for you.

Alison
RamCares

Prattguy1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I posted on this in another thread as I had it in my truck as well. Always happened on decleration and at times the tone of the noise could fill the cab and drown out conversation.

The dealer told me that this is a software glitch and they recevied a flash update that they can perform on your truck's software to fix this. They updated mine just last week and it hasn't made the sound since.