Noise from rear axle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Spirit79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
2015 2500 6.4 If the weather is hot and the truck is hot I get a shuddering from the rear end when backing out and turning out of a parking place. For instance on a trip, get off the expressway, stop to eat, and back out of the parking place making a sharp turn. The noise is gone as soon as I straighten up the truck and move forward. It does have anti-spin differential. It has a actually been doing it quite a while. What ever it is, it must not be fatal. Anybody else have this?

NewBlackDak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
2015 2500 6.4 If the weather is hot and the truck is hot I get a shuddering from the rear end when backing out and turning out of a parking place. For instance on a trip, get off the expressway, stop to eat, and back out of the parking place making a sharp turn. The noise is gone as soon as I straighten up the truck and move forward. It does have anti-spin differential. It has a actually been doing it quite a while. What ever it is, it must not be fatal. Anybody else have this?

It’s just the torsional anti slip doing it’s jobs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Spirit79

Spirit79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
NewBlackDak, I don’t know the workings of that diff and sort of figured it was something along those lines. I have always noticed the diff feels like a very “tight” limited slip. I can easily hear the inside tire complaining on sharp turns.
70,000 miles on the truck now. Loved every mile!

Firetruck41

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 Mega Cab Hemi 5.7
Mine acts the same exact way, I just got it a month ago and the previous owner said it had done it for quite a while with no other deleterious effects... I hope it is just the limited slip diff being "sensitive", although I hope it doesn't increase wear on the rear tires significantly.

Ribtipram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Yup mine too. 16 6.4 long bed. Not all the time but sharp wheel lock back up's same thing

BTGREEN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
These trucks have a torsen style limited slip. They use gear biasing to resist wheel spin. Often the noise is the gearing riding in the iron case, and not anything to be worried about.

OP
OP
Spirit79

Spirit79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Interesting. I had a torsen diff in a race car. It made entertaining sounds from time to time. I never went backwards much, on purpose.

BTGREEN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Interesting. I had a torsen diff in a race car. It made entertaining sounds from time to time. I never went backwards much, on purpose.

The key with helical gear limited slips is to try and ease through tight turns. It almost acts like a Chinese finger, the more you gas it, the harder it locks up.

I'd also keep an eye on the cover drain to see if any abnormal metal shavings present themselves.

OP
OP
Spirit79

Spirit79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I’m due for an oil change before too long. I might just have the dealer do it for me and ask the tech to look at the fluid closely. The dealer I have been using has been very good so far on service and warranty.

scott lass 18

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 ram 1500
Engine
The key with helical gear limited slips is to try and ease through tight turns. It almost acts like a Chinese finger, the more you gas it, the harder it locks up.

I'd also keep an eye on the cover drain to see if any abnormal metal shavings present themselves.
don't have dodge axle recall check it they did mine now a clunk this morning had new ring and pinion in it 45,000 miles ago said fail 50lb test recall clunk this morning wtf and all bad now hummm off towing it in a axle repair shop next week now ! ow chinese nut to small on line danon has on line wider and a flange on it 8.00 cheep !