Non Ethanol 91 Octane Fuel in HEMI

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RAMAINEiac

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Non Ethanol 91 Octane Fuel has become available in my area recently and I've thought about using some in my 2017 5.7L RAM.
Has anyone used non-ethanol in their 5.7L while under warranty?

Wahrsuul

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's not like it'll void the warranty. Give it a try and see how it works.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Non-ethanol fuel should bump up your MPG's and might even give the butt-meter a sense of peppiness. Non-ethanol fuel contains less chemical energy than pure gasoline hence the increase of MPGs. The 91 octane is more than the Hemi can make use of so no benefit there.

Around me, several stations sell non-ethonal gas (90 octane) but at a $1 more per gallon. Likely because of all the marine users.

carlcochran79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I run non ethanol fuel in mine it is 88 octane but we are at around 4500 feet and my truck runs great on it.

soapy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
You should see about 15 percent mileage with non ethenol and the truck runs better.

AnthonyD1978

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Power Wagon
Engine
Most regular pump gas has about 10% ethanol (E10). You will not see a huge bump in MPG from running pure fossil fuel compared to E10.
Modern fuel systems will have no issue running E10. Ethanol runs cleaner and promotes a cleaner combustion chamber/fuel injectors. It fights detonation/knock better too.

Around here we have full ethanol at the pumps (E85) and it's the equivalent of 105 octane. I've used it with a tune on my cars. 100 hp/tq increase is not uncommon.

On modern cars the only draw back to running ethanol is MPG. It gets worse MPG because ethanol is less dense and requires ~30% more fuel (at E85 levels) to provide the same amount of energy as fossil fuel. It's around a $1 cheaper per gallon around here though.

You should see about 15 percent mileage with non ethenol and the truck runs better.

More like 3-4% with E10.

Last edited:

soapy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I have run both and get 15% better with ethenol E10.

Last edited:

AnthonyD1978

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Power Wagon
Engine
I have run both and get 15% better with non ethenol E10.

There is no such thing as non ethanol E10.

If you're getting 15% better MPG with pure fossil fuel then that means you were running more like E40 previously (which is highly unlikely).

GIJoe2010

No sh*t, there I was . . .
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
@AnthonyD1978 I think @soapy made a typo on the "non ethanol E10".

And there is no such thing as E40 . . . unless you count the Rapper from back in the day. Or has California got even more ******** when it comes to CAFE standards and such.

AnthonyD1978

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Power Wagon
Engine
@AnthonyD1978 I think @soapy made a typo on the "non ethanol E10".

And there is no such thing as E40 . . . unless you count the Rapper from back in the day. Or has California got even more ******** when it comes to CAFE standards and such.

I've run E40. You just have to mix e85 with regular gas :)

I've given up on California. The idiots here just voted NOT to repeal a gas and vehicle registration tax that was implemented last year. I have a house being built in Prescott, Az right now....

Last edited:

GIJoe2010

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You do you on running E85 and regular gas . . . not in my Ram though.

Good job getting outta CA, especially if you enjoy using that "toy" you got in your avatar.

AnthonyD1978

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Power Wagon
Engine
You do you on running E85 and regular gas . . . not in my Ram though.

Good job getting outta CA, especially if you enjoy using that "toy" you got in your avatar.

No e40 in the RAM. In the BMW with a tune. Good for 100hp/tq.

I was born in Arizona, but have been all over. Overseas and coast to coast.

GIJoe2010

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was born n raised in CA, I joined the military and only return as possible to visit family. I’ll never, I say again, NEVER return due to the ridiculously high cost of living, ******** gun laws and the fact that I’m the epitome of everything that’s wrong with America:

Straight, white, male, tax paying, insurance having/paying, married to an actual female (by birth), have respectful and smart children, middle class, home owner, vehicle(s) owner, not in any major debt, active duty service member, gun owner & advocate and have an opinion on everything and won’t be silenced cuz “it hurts your feelings.” (F your feelings)

soapy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Our area now has non ethenol in every grade at the same price as ethenol.

CoHam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Non-ethanol fuel will burn better, and therefore be better for your engine, and it's better for the atmosphere. Burning ethanol produces much more ozone, especially during warmer months, which is why the Clean Air Act currently prohibits the sale of E15 during the summer months. Small amounts of ethanol will exist in your "non-ethanol" fuel anyway because it is used to control the octane rating, but it is much lower amounts than those fuels that carry an "E" rating, such as E10 and E15. The reason that "E" rated fuels were created was because of the push to find "renewable" fuel sources, it was not because ethanol makes an internal combustion engine run better. It does exactly the opposite. It will not burn nearly as efficiently. This is obvious once you realize that ethanol is used as an octane booster. Octane is not an additive used to make fuel "better", it is simply added to inhibit combustion so that only the spark process will cause the fuel to ignite inside the combustion chamber. Anything causing ignition other than the spark is referred to as "detonation", which is very bad because it happens at the wrong point of timing during the combustion cycle. (none of this applies to a diesel engine)
A lot of people make the mistake of thinking that higher octane means better fuel, it does not. High octane fuel is used in high performance and "race engines" only because those engines have very high compression and would be prone to detonation before spark without it.
If you can find "non-ethanol" fuel then use it. Do make sure that the fuel has a high enough octane rating for your engine's compression.

https://www.popsci.com/corn-ethanol-smog

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Non Ethanol 91 Octane Fuel has become available in my area recently and I've thought about using some in my 2017 5.7L RAM.
Has anyone used non-ethanol in their 5.7L while under warranty?
I run the Non Ethanol when ever I am near Tradewinds !Many around here lol.. Im in Dedham ... More and more of them are now selling it! I Have the Pentastar V 6 and will average 1/2 mpg. The advantage on Non Ethanol is it does not drwa moisture and is also good when a engine will be stored for awhile ! IMO not a big gain in MPG nut I feel better when I use it lol

AnthonyD1978

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Power Wagon
Engine
I was born n raised in CA, I joined the military and only return as possible to visit family. I’ll never, I say again, NEVER return due to the ridiculously high cost of living, ******** gun laws and the fact that I’m the epitome of everything that’s wrong with America:

Straight, white, male, tax paying, insurance having/paying, married to an actual female (by birth), have respectful and smart children, middle class, home owner, vehicle(s) owner, not in any major debt, active duty service member, gun owner & advocate and have an opinion on everything and won’t be silenced cuz “it hurts your feelings.” (F your feelings)

Cool, I was Airborne Infantry.

Non-ethanol fuel will burn better, and therefore be better for your engine, and it's better for the atmosphere. Burning ethanol produces much more ozone, especially during warmer months, which is why the Clean Air Act currently prohibits the sale of E15 during the summer months. Small amounts of ethanol will exist in your "non-ethanol" fuel anyway because it is used to control the octane rating, but it is much lower amounts than those fuels that carry an "E" rating, such as E10 and E15. The reason that "E" rated fuels were created was because of the push to find "renewable" fuel sources, it was not because ethanol makes an internal combustion engine run better. It does exactly the opposite. It will not burn nearly as efficiently. This is obvious once you realize that ethanol is used as an octane booster. Octane is not an additive used to make fuel "better", it is simply added to inhibit combustion so that only the spark process will cause the fuel to ignite inside the combustion chamber. Anything causing ignition other than the spark is referred to as "detonation", which is very bad because it happens at the wrong point of timing during the combustion cycle. (none of this applies to a diesel engine)
A lot of people make the mistake of thinking that higher octane means better fuel, it does not. High octane fuel is used in high performance and "race engines" only because those engines have very high compression and would be prone to detonation before spark without it.
If you can find "non-ethanol" fuel then use it. Do make sure that the fuel has a high enough octane rating for your engine's compression.

There is some very selective wording in that article. That's all I'll say. Everyone do their own research.

Dannycameo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Sorry to bring up an old thread
I got a new 2022 power wagon with the 6.4
There is a local gas station here that sells 91 octane ethanol free.
I know the manual calls for 89 but I've been using the 91 since new and I'm at 4000 miles now, 2000 miles of that was towing light towing, mind you 3000 pounds only.
Anyway back to the gas As I mentioned as the engine Broken the hemi tick is almost gone And I have been continuously running the 91 ethanol free, it just seems to run better on it now. I know that's probably in my head. I have read on this forum that anything above 89 is not just not recommended or a waste of money, it is that the 6.4 L Cannot use it, or the better term I'm gonna go with, it would not make use of the extra octane in combustion.
Anyway I just wanted any opinions the on whether running this 91 ethanol free Has any detrimental effects?
I don't mind paying an extra 10 cents per to get the 91 ethanol free verses 89 with 10% ethanol, As I grew up watching what ethanol did to small engines boat engines et cetera and I've been a big believer that anything without ethanol is better.
The only way you can get ethanol free gas where I live is to buy the 91.
So as I said I've read on this form that 91 can do harm, I don't see how that is yet if someone could explain that to me how that is I would really appreciate it.