Not impressed with the Alpine system

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The Gibson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
The Alpine system in my Laramie does not sound very good. I find that all of the bass is mid-bass and no low end. The EQ doesn't help.

The system in a co-workers F150 sounded very very good with lots of very low bass. My Bose system in my old 2017 Sierra sound pretty good and I could crank it a bit more than half way without it sounding distorted.

Is there anything we can do to fix the horrible sound system in these trucks? Speaker replacement? I wish they used cross overs to cut bass from all speakers except the sub woofer.

I've started to just listen to talk radio since music sounds like crap.

DRkNESS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Yes the system is poorly done which is why a lot of us are gathering up our nets to make a change. Right now it more so seems the HK guys are complaining then the Alpine folks.

SilverBullet85

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The Alpine system in my Laramie does not sound very good. I find that all of the bass is mid-bass and no low end. The EQ doesn't help.

The system in a co-workers F150 sounded very very good with lots of very low bass. My Bose system in my old 2017 Sierra sound pretty good and I could crank it a bit more than half way without it sounding distorted.

Is there anything we can do to fix the horrible sound system in these trucks? Speaker replacement? I wish they used cross overs to cut bass from all speakers except the sub woofer.

I've started to just listen to talk radio since music sounds like crap.
I gotta say I wasn't pleased at first but am getting better with it over time.
Make sure that 3-d or surround sound junk is off..that helps. It's only under certain sources so if your listening to your own stuff it's not an option at all but when it is an option I prefer it turned off. Reminds me of those BS gimmicks of old receivers like "hall" , "church" "rock" and those garbage effects.
The song and source really seems to matter. I keep my highs...high...mids are about ...mid (0) and I adjust the bass once in a bit depending on what I'm listening to...I tend to play music stored on my phone through android auto. I know what you mean about the mid-bass and no low end. Maybe I'm just getting used to it or the settings I'm rocking helped a bit but it's getting less offensive to me over time. I might even say it's good.

Last edited:

SilverBullet85

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yes the system is poorly done which is why a lot of us are gathering up our nets to make a change. Right now it more so seems the HK guys are complaining then the Alpine folks.
I'm hoping that since it sounds great on occasion depending on what I'm listening to that an update will help. All the pre-amp stuff and the way these new systems regulate all the different channels so you can't blow your speakers may have something to do with it all. I'd like to think they did a bit of research when designing this stuff so **fingers crossed**
Of course my ears are subjective and you guys might have more discerning tastes than me in which case maybe all those years of playing my guitar so loud I could feel it in my chest might have just paid off.

OP
OP
T

The Gibson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
The stock Bose system in my 2017 Sierra sounded pretty good. Lots of bass, clean mids and highs, and got loud without distortion. I have been a musician for 40 years and listen to high fidelity equipment a lot.

A coworker has an F150 and an Explorer and those stock systems sound so good with plenty of clean low end.

Driving the Ram with crappy sounding music really makes life a drag. Now to get my fix with my new ZMF Auteur's.

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The stock Bose system in my 2017 Sierra sounded pretty good. Lots of bass, clean mids and highs, and got loud without distortion. I have been a musician for 40 years and listen to high fidelity equipment a lot.

A coworker has an F150 and an Explorer and those stock systems sound so good with plenty of clean low end.

Driving the Ram with crappy sounding music really makes life a drag. Now to get my fix with my new ZMF Auteur's.

Bose and High Fidelity should never be used together. I am very confused if you are happy with Bose and rock Auteurs. That is like comparing a 4 year olds t-ball league to the MLB.

ksn240

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I disagree. While the Alpine system certainly isn't the best, it isn't bad if you set it up right. I searched and made sure my truck had it. I will upgrade the entire system and swap everything out at some point, but it is good enough for now that it is not a priority. Allows me to do all the appearance and performance mods I want to first.

joeygster

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 1500 Sport Crew Bright White
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've had my share of mediocre stereo systems in vehicles over the years.

The best was the Harmon Kardon in my 14 Grand Cherokee Overland and the Alpine system in my Ram is a close second. I have no complaints at all. Maybe the 19's aren't the same quality.

Even the upgraded sound system in my wife's 2014 BMW 435i wasn't nearly as good as the Jeep or Ram's systems.

I had a Bose in my 2005 Nissan Armada and it sucked. I had a Sony in my 2010 Ford F150 and it was meh.

I had a Pioneer in a 2012 Chev Cruze that was leagues better than the Bose in the Nissan and the Sony in the Ford.

tones2SS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm not complaining about the Alpine system. I think it sounds pretty good for a stock system.

Dan B

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
My HK system sucks. The Alpine on my 18 Wrangler Jl was amazing compared to the HK.

OP
OP
T

The Gibson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Bose and High Fidelity should never be used together. I am very confused if you are happy with Bose and rock Auteurs. That is like comparing a 4 year olds t-ball league to the MLB.

I'm with you. No high, no lows, must be Bose. I'm just saying for a stock stereo, it sounded fine. I've never needed after market equipment. The Alpine in the Ram is hard to get right at all. I have played with the EQ and just can't get it to sound good enough. Oh well. Hopefully they improve on future models.