Not starting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nick_T59

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 24valve
Ok so I went out this morning to start my truck, it was cold so I cycled it and everything, went to start it, it cranked really hard and didn’t start. I noticed the battery was low but still had what seemed enough to start it. Cycled it again tried to start it a second time, same thing. 3rd try it cranked for a second and then quit. I tried turning the key again it just clicked and everything turned off as if the battery was dead, hooked up a battery charger to it on 10 amps for about 45 minutes went to try again and same thing it just clicked and everything turned off while the key was turned except warning lights on the dash. I went to look at fuses pulled all the ignition fuses, the start solenoid, everything that would have something to do with what it was doing but I didn’t find anything they were all fine. If anyone has had this problem with their 2002 ram 2500 with a 5.9 24 valve please let me know because I’m lost

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
The grid heater draws a lot of current, your going to need to charge those batteries more, get a jump from another vehicle or depending on how cold it is disconnect the grid heater.
It's also possible one of the batteries is bad and taking the other one down. You could pulling the ground off the second battery and try jump starting the truck.

OP
OP
N

Nick_T59

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 24valve
I got it figured out, Thanks. The screw that holds the ground wire to the actual starter unthreaded itself and popped out. I put that back in and it cranked right up.