Not sure where to post this (aftermarket warranty for Jeep)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
So if you saw my other post about my step-fathers 1500 you know the situation. My step-father passed away this week. My mother has a 2018 or 2019 Cherokee that she bought new but it only has about 2000-3000 miles on it as they drove his truck everywhere they went. She is 71 and this will likely be her last vehicle and I told her to buy an extended warranty that will cover everything for as long as she still owns it. Likely a 10 year/100,000 mile bumper to bumper. I know the pitfalls of these warranties and how they can be a waste but I don't want her to have to worry about getting things fixed at her age and her income may be considerably lower than it has been. Just don't want her to have to worry about that.
Any suggestions on who has a good warranty that is reliable and who treats their 'customers' well?

Thanks!

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
hopefully the Time Factor has not been reached for getting the Mopar Extended Warranty.

Maybe your Step Father has already taken care of getting that ?

2020PW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you think your family may have already purchased the coverage you can check it at the website below.

Need VIN, current mileage and last name.

Last edited:

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
Warranty is a roll of the dice as far as being treated well. See numerous numerous threads on this forum. Do you know how good your local Jeep dealership's shop is? If it's trash, your factory warranty is trash. If they are good, the warranty will at least be useable if needed.

But let's think this through. She's 71. How many miles is she likely to drive in a given year? How many years is she likely to be driving? If low, what expensive component is likely to fail in the time she needs the vehicle? If she's on a tight budget going forward is paying for 'peace of mind' a good use of thousands of dollars? Does she live on her own? Will you get her a warranty for the home and appliances, if so? I completely get the emotional nature of the time you are in and applaud the desire to take care of her, but really pencil those out and see if a warranty remains the best choice.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
That low a mileage I'd be surprised if there's major component failure so I don't know if I'd do it. That said as long as the maintenance is done and documented to the warranty companies satisfaction so they can't find a way out of paying for a covered part it might not be super expensive for the peace of mind. If she doesn't mind dealer oil changes that's about all it would require with a as low a mileage as it sounds like she'd put on it. Not sure in the US, but in Canada I believe 6yrs/200,000 km is the cut off point for a mopar certified used vehicle warranty and the max was 5yr/100,000 km from date of warranty purchase.. (Requires a dealer inspection just prior to signing up) , but it's costly and probably wouldn't pay off. Maybe grab a quote from a couple local dealers for mopar and aftermarket warranties. At least if they sell it and do the maintenance they might put up a fight for her if she runs into trouble.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
For the number of miles she will rack up, you can fix a lot for the price of the warranty. Keep your, money, invest it in a quality Blue Chip dividend paying stock, cash in what you need to pay for repairs as needed. Over ten years the stock value will double and you will collect about 5% a year in dividends. The odds of her being further ahead are a long WAYS in her favour using this approach.

If however you must get warranty, MOPAR or nothing. Most of the other aftermarket warranties are just way to much hassle.

1979PowerWagon360

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 TRX
Engine
Docwagon makes a good point I believe....will she drive it enough to have to worry about major expense breakdown?

BUT, if you do purchase a warranty, I've always read, as others have written, go with the auto maker's warranty. You never know when the other companies may go out of business; much less chance with the manufacturer.

Sorry your mom is dealing with this loss.

Freakydude

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
Firstly sorry for the loss. I would vote skip the warranty because even if she had 20 or 30,000 miles on it at 71 she will be dealing more with rust than breakdowns, just make sure you do the basic maintenance like oil changes regularly and on time.
The warranty itself will cost the first major breakdown and even though it is a warranty they will still try to weasle out of it.

OP
OP
dhay13

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks all. She will be putting more miles on it now with him gone and her having to drive herself everywhere. Figuring she will keep it at least 10 years or until she no longer drives. The bumper to bumper will be up next year probably. Powertrain will still have time left but things like AC compressor, power steering, etc, are more my concerns.
Right now we have no idea how much she will have when the dust settles. Could be anywhere from $50k to $200k. Without knowing this info we can't make a decision but I am trying to gather info at this point to be able to figure the best options. I just don't want her to be 75 and have to pay $5000 for a repair. She is going to have enough expenses in home maintenance. House is paid for but huge yard that she will have to pay someone to cut. Figuring maybe $600/month just for that but being in western PA thats only about 5 months of the year.
Her last car was a 2006 Concord that she bought in 2007 and she had quite a few repairs on that that she had to pay out of pocket and she sold it with only about 20,000 miles on it. That car was nickle and diming her so don't want her in that situation again.

Ratman6161

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I would just throw in that even though we all refer to them as a "warranty" what they really are is a form of insurance policy. As with any insurance, you only insure against risks you can't afford to accept. As others have said in different ways, you have to assess your risks and figure out what you can accept. But...here is another thought. You said she would come out with $50 to $200K? Don't buy any "warranty" until you find out which end of the spectrum she ends up on. If she was able to put away say $10K into an emergency fund (or whatever you calculate the need to be) that could be better than the "warranty". Essentially self insuring. The warranty will eventually expire and if unused you get nothing for it. If you never spend the emergency fund, then at some future time when she is no longer driving and sells the Jeep, she still has the $10K + whatever it earned along the way.

Personal opinion: I'm recently retired and have plenty of time. I'm also able bodied, but absolutely despise yard work. If I had to pay $600 a month for yard work even for 5 months a year, there is no question I would move. You said the house is paid for. That's a good place to be and housing values are up. Were it me I'd sell and move to a smaller place and hopefully have some cash left over. That would save the $600 a month and also provide cash for that emergency fund. I know there can be a lot of emotional attachment to a home, but at some point if I get to the point where I can't take care of it, that will be the time to move.

OP
OP
dhay13

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would just throw in that even though we all refer to them as a "warranty" what they really are is a form of insurance policy. As with any insurance, you only insure against risks you can't afford to accept. As others have said in different ways, you have to assess your risks and figure out what you can accept. But...here is another thought. You said she would come out with $50 to $200K? Don't buy any "warranty" until you find out which end of the spectrum she ends up on. If she was able to put away say $10K into an emergency fund (or whatever you calculate the need to be) that could be better than the "warranty". Essentially self insuring. The warranty will eventually expire and if unused you get nothing for it. If you never spend the emergency fund, then at some future time when she is no longer driving and sells the Jeep, she still has the $10K + whatever it earned along the way.

Personal opinion: I'm recently retired and have plenty of time. I'm also able bodied, but absolutely despise yard work. If I had to pay $600 a month for yard work even for 5 months a year, there is no question I would move. You said the house is paid for. That's a good place to be and housing values are up. Were it me I'd sell and move to a smaller place and hopefully have some cash left over. That would save the $600 a month and also provide cash for that emergency fund. I know there can be a lot of emotional attachment to a home, but at some point if I get to the point where I can't take care of it, that will be the time to move.
Good points. She is waiting to see where all policies and expenses are figured out before doing anything. Once all of that is figured out we will be selling his 2017 1500 Ram. That is a definite as she has no need for it and doesn't like driving it.
One step at a time but I'm in the homework stage right now so she has all of the info she needs when the time comes to make these decisions.
She bought the house around 1991 and they completely rebuilt starting with just 4 walls and a roof and there is about 3 acres of pretty flat ground. She did mention buying a townhouse or condo and even joked today maybe she would buy a beach house. Hard to do that in western PA but hey...lol

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
Good points. She is waiting to see where all policies and expenses are figured out before doing anything. Once all of that is figured out we will be selling his 2017 1500 Ram. That is a definite as she has no need for it and doesn't like driving it.
One step at a time but I'm in the homework stage right now so she has all of the info she needs when the time comes to make these decisions.
She bought the house around 1991 and they completely rebuilt starting with just 4 walls and a roof and there is about 3 acres of pretty flat ground. She did mention buying a townhouse or condo and even joked today maybe she would buy a beach house. Hard to do that in western PA but hey...lol

3 acres and it's $600 a month to maintain the lawn? Or is there more and the 3 acres is just the flat part? Obviously I don't know what things cost there but that's easily 3-4x what I would expect to pay here for mowing 3 acres.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
3 acres and it's $600 a month to maintain the lawn? Or is there more and the 3 acres is just the flat part? Obviously I don't know what things cost there but that's easily 3-4x what I would expect to pay here for mowing 3 acres.
I'm not surprised. Probably once a week service so 100-150 a pop doesn't even seem that high.

OP
OP
dhay13

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
She hasn't got any quotes yet so I'm guessing at the $600. But figure at least $100-150 per week. Around here we pay about $40 for 1/10th of an acre hand mowed so $100-150 for 3 acres sounds reasonable? Riding mower obviously but still takes 3 hours with a conventional riding mower. Maybe 1.5 hours on a 0 turn? Weedwhacking should be minimal

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
She hasn't got any quotes yet so I'm guessing at the $600. But figure at least $100-150 per week. Around here we pay about $40 for 1/10th of an acre hand mowed so $100-150 for 3 acres sounds reasonable? Riding mower obviously but still takes 3 hours with a conventional riding mower. Maybe 1.5 hours on a 0 turn? Weedwhacking should be minimal

Unless it's remote and high travel expense, somebody with the big commercial zero turn mowers will likely do it cheaper, but again I don't know your area. I trade hay and grazing rights for mowing on my rural property that I'm too far from to properly maintain, but that's obviously not an option for a residence.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963