Not too happy with my Air Filter.....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JohnnyBandit

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Higher end washable filter....... do not particularly want to mention brand and sling dirt.

But notice how it cupped at the top?
It did that in about 10k miles. I could get my finger between it and the lower chamber of filter box on the intake.

I went back to AEM Filters
IMG_5996.jpg

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Yep, good move. When I was younger I fell into the k&n filter gimmick also. The trouble is if you dont keep the k&n clean AND properly oiled (not over oiled) they wind up letting too much dirt into the engine. I've seen this many times first hand.

Plus minimal power gains, not worth the hassle and potential issues to me, I use OEM paper filters and change them annually. Cheap insurance, no hassle, no overoiling and damaging MAF sensors, etc. But as always, ymmv.

Octane

Reaction score
Imo the biggest sham is the aftermarket cold air induction.Which actually changes the factory cold air induction to warm air induction.Instead of the other way around.I use a dry aftermarket panel filter instead.

OP
OP
JohnnyBandit

JohnnyBandit

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
And when I said AEM.... I meant AEM.... Not OEM. as in their washable dry filter.

The one pictured above is also a dry washable filter..... it was cleaned every 5k miles....
It did this in the last 2000 miles or so......

I ran through a bunch of dragon flies they other night and had dragon fly parts all in my grill. So I opened the filter box to see if I had a bunch of dragon fly parts in there...

That is when I noticed the filter was cupped at the end.

2012RAM1500RT

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
I would not buy an after market CAI for performance or more MPG. I bought my vararam for looks, I like the old school look. I had to do adjustments to make it seal right out of the box (for the price I shouldn't have had to do anything). I never believed it was starving for air from the factory but the way I have mine sealed to the hood I see no way it is getting any hot air from the engine compartment. I will never get my money back for more MPG so if you don't buy it for looks save your money!PXL_20210228_215052234.jpg

Badger 13

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I do like the old school look as well. The added GTX air grabber decals are a nice touch.

OP
OP
JohnnyBandit

JohnnyBandit

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
And FYI

I have not used filters like AFE, AEM etc so much for performance as much as that I drive offroad about 1/3 of the time. It can be dusty.