Nut on fan/water pump shaft stuck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jim233

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v-6
3.7 V-6 244,000 miles, owned since new in 9/94 Cannot get that 36mm nut on the water pump to fan shaft to break loose, even using recommended techniques. Am about to try using a torch on it but... I notice that the fan blade orientation suggests that the fan rotates to the left (when looking at it from in front of truck). This would mean rotation would be in direction of loosening the nut. Again, CCW as seen looking into the engine compartment. The shop manual notes that fan drive threads are "right hand', again suggesting that fan rotation is opposite the tightening direction.

I looked at 4 Youtube videos on water pump replacement on Rams and all of them showed removal of the nut CCW (as viewed from front, looking into engine compartment). And, yes, their fan blades were oriented like mine.

Could someone please confirm that, indeed, the nut is loosened in the CCW direction? I'm gonna get the torch and a bigger hammer...

Thank you in advance for your help,

Jim
South Texas

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Actually an air chisel works really well, without destroying anything.

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
Left hand thread usually and yes, get an air chisel on the corner of the nut.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Air impact or nut splitter.... Just not a lot of room but eventually U will get there, but suks for sure. I do not know about whether reverse threading, not really since the Chrysler 60's with reverse threading. But if that puppy stuck, either air hammer, chisel, nut splitter or torch. Kinda stay away from torch if U can, just saying. Good Luck.

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
Here's how the dealer taught me.

Leave fan belt on for resistance

Large adjustable wrench

Short piece of pipe to fit tight over wrench handle and gloves to hold pipe.

Put wrench on nut.

With 24 oz ball pien hammer hit wrench at tip. You will probably hit the pipe where it joins wrench. Use CCW. Fan may rotate so move wrench, hit again.

How many strikes will it take? I don't know. But it will come loose and you'll know when it does!

Reactions: Mop
OP
OP
J

Jim233

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v-6
Gentlemen, Thank you for your input. I hope I am correct in concuding that the nut in question is indeed "normal" threading. IOW, removal will require counter-clockwise turning as one looks into the engine compartment while one's belly rests against the grille?

My plan is to chain down the water pump pulley and whale on the big wrench/johnson bar. Propane torch in reserve. Jim

OP
OP
J

Jim233

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v-6
Appreciate all the suggestions. Chained the water pump pulley to the frame, applied 36 mm wrench and rapped smartly to my left with a three pound sledge. Success on first try. For the record, I believe the problem was not securing the pulley movement 100%. In prior attempts it always moved a little when I struck the nut. Doesn't look like Locktite was applied on the threads back in '94. I guess even though the shaft turns in the unlocking direction, there just isn't enough mass there to unloosen the nut when the engine runs. Jim

Octane

Reaction score
Mine has left hand thread,not right hand thread.13 Ram 5.7

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
therapywolf