O2 Sensors 2015 Ram 5.7L

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PoconoJoe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi all!
I'm new here and trying to hash out a problem with my daughter's truck.
2015 Ram 1500 4x4 Crew Cab 5.7L short box 8 speed transmission.
Long story short...she had the lifter tick which wiped out her cam, so the engine was rebuilt. Just thought I'd mention that.

A friend had replaced the O2 sensors previous to the engine rebuild and now we're getting a P219A code. We consulted the shop that did the engine work and were told her friend installed the wrong O2 sensors and the scan tool is indicating an imbalance in bank 1 sensor 1. They were Bosch and there were no vents around the sensor body, only at the tip!

I attempted to get Mopar sensors, but the wait time for shipment was too long so I went to Napa and got NTK. My research indicated that NTK was the OE supplier, so I had confidence in the quality. The problem is that different sources all over the web vary on which sensor goes where. I've even read somewhere that all 4 sensors are the same and it's just the length of the wire that matters. I don't know if that's true though.

So, maybe someone here can help me out with the location of each sensor or if I even have the correct sensors.
I have all NTK sensors. Here are the part numbers:
23161 The wire on this one is about 11" long.
23162 (I was sold two of these) The wires on these are about 6" long.
23165 The wire on this one is about 15.5" long.
Looking at the connectors on the new sensors, they all appear to look the same, however I have not tried plugging any of them in.

Again, the truck runs fine, but puts out code 219A

Thanks!,
Joe

Last edited:

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If the scan tool shows you bank 1 sensor 1 , Move that 02 to Bank 2 and see if the code follows. thats the first step.

2nd is to do a live data read and see what the O2s are doing.

The sensors are all the same, Heck even pulled one off my wife Jeep JK to test in my truck when I got an 02 code. come to find out it was a bad plug.

NTK is the OEM supplier

OP
OP
P

PoconoJoe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If the scan tool shows you bank 1 sensor 1 , Move that 02 to Bank 2 and see if the code follows. thats the first step.

2nd is to do a live data read and see what the O2s are doing.

The sensors are all the same, Heck even pulled one off my wife Jeep JK to test in my truck when I got an 02 code. come to find out it was a bad plug.

NTK is the OEM supplier
Wow! Great info!

I'm relieved that all the sensors are the same. That's great information! It takes the mystery out of the whole thing for me. Now it's just a matter of matching the length of wire with the existing ones.

Yes, I got a new Launch scanner and we did a live data read. It indicated there was an imbalance problem with the bank 1 sensor 1.

I took it back to the shop that did the engine work thinking maybe they pinched a wire or something. They told me the bank 1 sensor 1 was the wrong sensor. It was a Bosch and there were no vents on the sides, only on the tip. My daughter's friend had recently changed it. He meant well, but I think he caused us some unnecessary problems.

Anyway, the mechanic suggested I change all 4, so that's what I'll be doing as soon as it gets a little warmer out!

Oh, good screen name! That's a popular saying in my trade!

And thanks again. Your response was very helpful!

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
If your still troubleshooting that issue retorque your TB and intake manifold bolts. For whatever reason these suckers loosen up and cause that 219A or B issue. I spent a year chasing my tail with this issue. This is what fixed it.

OP
OP
P

PoconoJoe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If your still troubleshooting that issue retorque your TB and intake manifold bolts. For whatever reason these suckers loosen up and cause that 219A or B issue. I spent a year chasing my tail with this issue. This is what fixed it.
Thanks!
If the code still comes up after replacing the O2 sensors, I'll definitely take you up on your suggestion. Some of the other symptoms of P219A were a small intake leak or an exhaust leak, so you're suggestions are certainly valid.
Could be it's not the O2 sensors throwing the code at all.

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

PoconoJoe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok, changed the O2 sensors and so far no codes after three days of short trips. Previously, after clearing the code, it would return within 10 minutes of driving, so I think it might be ok now.
It's my daughter's truck and just to reiterate, a friend had changed the O2 sensors and used the wrong ones. They were Bosch and the only opening for it to sense the exhaust air was in the tip of the sensors. There were no vents or openings in the sides of the sensors. No doubt they were the wrong parts. Plus the connectors for the wiring weren't exactly correct. They did fit, but only because the groves were bigger than the correct ones.

The friend meant well, but he screwed up. He was attempting to figure out why there was a misfire in cylinder 3 which turned out to be lifter failure which wiped out the cam.

So after getting the truck back from an engine rebuild, we had the P219A code which had nothing to do with the engine rebuild. It only complicated things and falsely pointed the finger at the shop that did the engine work.

Crazy, but I hope this is the end of this situation.