Occasional stalling without code

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I always start with the simple stuff. Your truck requires 30000 mile plug changes with copper core plugs. Hemi engines do not play well with any plugs but oem replacement. First thing I would do is check your plugs for gap, age and brand.

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I always start with the simple stuff. Your truck requires 30000 mile plug changes with copper core plugs. Hemi engines do not play well with any plugs but oem replacement. First thing I would do is check your plugs for gap, age and brand.
If you are replacing the plugs, make sure the boots are clean as well. Look for cracking and/or carbon where they are inserted into the tubes.

Check your ground connections as well, bad ones can give you fits.

OP
OP
W

WASzuRAUCHEN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok. Cleaned all connectors, undid the TIPM, cleaned that too. Realized while doing so that one of the connectors was actually loose. So that might be something.

However, put everything back together, connected batteries, put in key and…immobilizer is on. It’s asking me for the radio security code. The gauges are working, battery is full (had a jump start service coming) but when I turn the key, it does nothing.
Any idea how to get out of that?

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
You may have had the key in the ignition when you reconnected the battery or pushed a button on the remote start while the key was in the on /acc position ?

If you have a known good spare remote fob try locking the vehicle with it while the other fob is inside the truck waiting 10 seconds and then unlocking the vehicle to see if the immobilizer recognizes the second (known good) key fob.

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

WASzuRAUCHEN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You may have had the key in the ignition when you reconnected the battery or pushed a button on the remote start while the key was in the on /acc position ?
Nope, key was on the seat. It’s an slt, no push start button.
I’ll try again tomorrow and see if it cleared the code. If not I’ll have a guy come over to program a set of new keys. Unfortunately, right now I only have one working key…

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

WASzuRAUCHEN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
UPDATE: eventually gave up and brought it to the dealer. They pointed out the TIPM. Just got it replaced and truck runs smooth now. However, truck doesn’t want to start and dealer says it’s the TIPM they just put it (it’s here in Qatar on back order for at last 6 weeks and dealer offered I import myself. Got a refurbished one from tipm_rebuilders)
It does start but only once in a blue moon. When I turn it off and back on, no more start.
It doesn’t even engage the starter (no click). Fuel pump is on, all accessories and dash lights work as expected.
Digging further.

Burn2k12Ram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Something to keep in mind is not enough fuel, so fuel pump could of initially caused the TIPM to go bad. Basically some hard starts or no starts at all would not of been fault of TIPM rather the fuel pump. Just something to keep an eye on.

Last edited:

Jim BB

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Weird stuff just happened. I cleaned up lots of connections ytd but it would still have this weird idle bumping between 550 and 600 rpm. This morning after commute I felt fancy and turned on 4wd and 4 low. All engaged, no problem. Put back in 2wd and the weird idle continued.
In the afternoon, on a quick errand, the first time in months, the idle is rock solid at 550rpm. At least at the first traffic light. The second traffic light the truck stalls on me after 2 minutes idle. No surge, nothing. Turned right back on, no hard starting. I drive around the corner, put it in park and again. 10 seconds in, truck stalls. I realized I just passed quarter tank mark.
Off to patrol station, fill to the top. Now rough idle is back but no stalling. Just idled in the parking for 5 minutes and it stays on…
Pretty much sums up my day
almost sounds like a fuel pressure or regulator maybe even pump issue if you fill it and it is fine !?

TeamKDRT

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Does that engine use an Idle Air Control valve? I had a very similar issue with my 5.2 over time, in that it ran well, but would die on idle (as with you), and if it idled, it was 500 or so and iffy. Now it's 700 or so, and steady. No stalls. IAC is on the firewall side of the throttle body on the 5.2.

OP
OP
W

WASzuRAUCHEN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
almost sounds like a fuel pressure or regulator maybe even pump issue if you fill it and it is fine !?
No difference whether tank is full or empty.
I am considering new plugs and coils in the near future but I am sure the dealer would have seen signs of misfire already.

OP
OP
W

WASzuRAUCHEN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Does that engine use an Idle Air Control valve? I had a very similar issue with my 5.2 over time, in that it ran well, but would die on idle (as with you), and if it idled, it was 500 or so and iffy. Now it's 700 or so, and steady. No stalls. IAC is on the firewall side of the throttle body on the 5.2.
IAC is integrated in the TB. I got the TB changed recently with a new OEM one.
Btw. It’s all fixed now, so it seems, it was the TIPM.

Jim BB

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
IAC is integrated in the TB. I got the TB changed recently with a new OEM one.
Btw. It’s all fixed now, so it seems, it was the TIPM.
yup that would do it a bad tipm controls ECM ,BCM and all fuel controls IE fuel regulator pump ect

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963