Octane boosters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

*tim*

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I always thought of em as snake oil but I filled up with 87 gas not planning on towing a big camper this weekend through the hills of eastern ks. So I'm wondering if I should throw a bottle of booster in the tank to help it tow better or just not worry about it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You'd be better off topping off the tank with premium before you leave. If a bottle of octane booster claims to raise the octane level of fuel by '8 points', it will raise it by 0.8 of the RON scale we're familiar with, how they rate the octane of fuel at the pumps.

InspectGWS

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 JEEP GC SRT8
Engine
6.4L HEMI
As previously mentioned, Premium Unleaded will give you a warm fuzzy when you are towing, but is absolutely not necessary - your motor was designed for fuel that is rated at 87 Octane, whether your truck is pulling a load or not...your ECM will manage your ignition timing to keep detonation to a bare minimum..."octane rating" is basically relevant to the "anti-knock index" rating...meaning when your motor is at full throttle, you will not detonate your air/fuel mixture before the ignition system provides the spark...

Mass marketed octane boosters are a complete waste of money...People who really want to boost their octane are typically using Nitrous, and have an Air/Fuel ratio gauge on their A-Pillar...the best octane boosters are available at any hardware or paint store...one gallon of Toluene or Xylene will boost your octane rating and have very high energy (burn) ratings...

jcat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
junk. every last one of them, junk. They will do more harm to your engine than good. You'd be better off running it down to a quarter and filling with 93, or if you're at a half tank or so find someone with some unleaded 100 octane race fuel to mix in.

Donelam304

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4
I agree with ^^^. Also, most octane boosters you buy from auto adores are worthless. The best are actually paint thinners and solvents. Lol. But ya have to be careful. They are strong. But these motors are not high compression motors. Things like 2 stroke dirt bikes, crotch rockets, sports cars are designed as high compression motors. Not trucks.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
T

*tim*

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I figured it would be ok but the women keep loading more stuff on the truck and camper. I figure I'll just stop and top off with 91 before I get to the big hills

PX8

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Express Crew Cab
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I always thought of em as snake oil but I filled up with 87 gas not planning on towing a big camper this weekend through the hills of eastern ks. So I'm wondering if I should throw a bottle of booster in the tank to help it tow better or just not worry about it

Not to **** you off or anything, but why in the world are you using 87 anyway? 87 is acceptable and 89 is recomended. I've seen a couple post on here where some mechanics have been inside of 5.7's that have run 87 and they have said that there's a noticable difference inside the motor.

20 gallons of 87 at $4 is $80
20 gallons of 89 at $4.15 is $83

I know those cans of octane boosters have got to cost more than $3.

OP
OP
T

*tim*

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I usually run 89 but had a lot of fuel points save up and had a dollar off each gallon up to 35 gallons. So met the wife and filled up both vehicles. Her car runs the same no matter what gas is in it and the truck runs fine unless it is towing and I didn't plan on towing. But as soon as you plan not to do something it comes up

PX8

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Express Crew Cab
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Got ya.

InspectGWS

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 JEEP GC SRT8
Engine
6.4L HEMI
This is right out of my 2014 owners manual - PX8 is correct about the 89 Octane rating...

"This engine is designed to meet all emissions regulations and provide satisfactory fuel economy and performance when using high quality unleaded gasoline having an octane range of 87 to 89. The manufacturer recommends the use of 89 octane for optimum performance. The use of premium gasoline is not recommended, as it will not provide any benefit over regular gasoline in these engines.

Light spark knock at low engine speeds is not harmful to your engine. However, continued heavy spark knock at high speeds can cause damage and immediate service is required. Poor quality gasoline can cause problems such as hard starting, stalling, and hesitations. If you experience these symptoms, try another brand of gasoline before considering service for the vehicle."

jcat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That may be Chrysler's CYA statement re: premium fuel, but I've run all 3 in my truck so far, and with this most recent tank of 93 (with a quarter tank of 89 prior to filling) my engine definitely seems to run smoother and quieter, and when the VVT kicks in over 3k RPM, for example merging onto the highway, there is a MARKED difference, and I"m not even tuned yet.

IIRC the Hemi in our trucks is a 10.5:1 compression ratio. Not high, but not low either.

Last edited:

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Not to **** you off or anything, but why in the world are you using 87 anyway? 87 is acceptable and 89 is recomended. I've seen a couple post on here where some mechanics have been inside of 5.7's that have run 87 and they have said that there's a noticable difference inside the motor.

20 gallons of 87 at $4 is $80
20 gallons of 89 at $4.15 is $83

I know those cans of octane boosters have got to cost more than $3.

I alternate between 87 and 93, depending on the price difference. Sams club doesn't sell 89. I notice zero difference between 87 and 89 in mileage, power, driveability, none. Stepping up to 93 gets me a slight gain in power but that is it. I noticed some pinging one time this winter on 87, that is one time in a year. If 87 truly did damage these engines they wouldn't say that it was acceptable. It would be like other manufacturers that say 89 or 91 is required and use of a lesser fuel would cause damage to the engine.

ExpressRules

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express Crew Cab & 2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've seen a couple post on here where some mechanics have been inside of 5.7's that have run 87 and they have said that there's a noticable difference inside the motor.

QUOTE]

If detonation is not occurring there would be no difference "inside the motor" to see. I'd like to see some verified information that states that running good quality 87 damaged someone's engine.

I've run 87 from the day I drove the truck off the lot and I have experienced zero detonation at any throttle position. As was already been stated in this thread, the computer will compensate for any possible issues.

Now if a truck is tuned that may be a different story, but a stock truck, even with a "hemi foot" driver, would not suffer damage using 87.

EdmontonSS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I've seen a couple post on here where some mechanics have been inside of 5.7's that have run 87 and they have said that there's a noticable difference inside the motor.

QUOTE]

If detonation is not occurring there would be no difference "inside the motor" to see. I'd like to see some verified information that states that running good quality 87 damaged someone's engine.

I've run 87 from the day I drove the truck off the lot and I have experienced zero detonation at any throttle position. As was already been stated in this thread, the computer will compensate for any possible issues.

Now if a truck is tuned that may be a different story, but a stock truck, even with a "hemi foot" driver, would not suffer damage using 87.

I think you kind of answered your own question when you said said "running good quality 87" gas. I know its similar in some states like Florida (where I grew up) as it is in Canada and 87 is so touch-and-go depending on which station you hit. it seems like the bottom of a beer keg, some will be fine and others will you will feel. 89 and up seems that its a bit more consistent in its strength and quality just because it has a different filtering process.

So anecdotal evidence will depend on the quality and location of said gas, or if they used the same station each time or just filled up wherever they were closest to. I much prefer running 91 on my Diablo 91 tune, also for the sheer fact that there is quite less ethanol in 91/93/94 than there is in 87.

I believe that there has to be a reason they say 87 is acceptable but 89 is recommended, even if it was just ONE case of a blown motor or internal damage or anything really. Its enough for me to watch what I put in.

Now.. I go back to watching semi's drifting :)

Reactions: PX8

ExpressRules

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express Crew Cab & 2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think you kind of answered your own question when you said said "running good quality 87" gas. I know its similar in some states like Florida (where I grew up) as it is in Canada and 87 is so touch-and-go depending on which station you hit. it seems like the bottom of a beer keg, some will be fine and others will you will feel. 89 and up seems that its a bit more consistent in its strength and quality just because it has a different filtering process.

So anecdotal evidence will depend on the quality and location of said gas, or if they used the same station each time or just filled up wherever they were closest to. I much prefer running 91 on my Diablo 91 tune, also for the sheer fact that there is quite less ethanol in 91/93/94 than there is in 87.

I believe that there has to be a reason they say 87 is acceptable but 89 is recommended, even if it was just ONE case of a blown motor or internal damage or anything really. Its enough for me to watch what I put in.

Now.. I go back to watching semi's drifting :)

I wasn't and didn't ask a question. :roflsquared:

jakeSS

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 1500 4WD Laramie Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know it's a different vehicle, but I had a 2012 Tahoe 5.3L and it calls for 87 octane. I got it tuned by Black Bear Performance and they advised to use at least 89 octane whether it was tuned by them or left stock. At the time of the tune I was running premium (91 octane here) and the engine still had some knock retard going on while we data logged it on the laptop....Vehicle was bone stock-no mods. I was told the gas quality sucks in general here in AZ. And if you were to ask me if I could tell/feel the knock retard-No....I know it's not a hemi, but I also believe that "seat of the pants" you are not going to be able to tell everything that is going on with your engine and a higher octane would certainly limit your knock retard. That being said-I run 89 in my Ram since that's what is recommended.