Odd chirping/metallic noise around 1500rpm and 25mph plus

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FLYxxBOY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Alright hopefully someone can help me out because I'm at my wits end lol. When driving, usually 30 to 50 ish, when I let off the throttle and then give it some light throttle again, I sometimes get this light metallic chirping noise, kinda like 2 metal sockets are tapping together. It happens right around 1500 rpms. It is the same frequency too, speed doesn't really seem to matter. If i let the rpms fall til about 1200 then throttle back up lightly, i can usually get it to do it right until 1500, then it goes away instantly once you go past 1500. I thought it might be the serpentine belt/pulleys but all those are good. It sounds a bit like a wheel bearing but it doesn't do it going slow (did tire shake test and it is solid, plus had the fiance drive around me and I hear nothing). Thought maybe it was the cv axles but they just have the usual small play and don't make that clicking noise. Found from hours of googling about that star case from 2011 with the torque converter issue, the symptoms are very similar but that was 9 years ago, id imagine that has long been fixed. It doesn't do it on a hard pull either, and I can't get it to do it at 1500 rpms at speeds lower than about 25. The dealer has no clue either. I've been all over it trying to see if anything is rattling together, but since it only seems to do it at specific conditions im thinking trans or tc. Its a 2016 with 31k on it, jay greene engine and trans tune. Anyone have a clue? I've tried to take a video, but its faint enough its hard to hear over the whirr of my tires

chris52010trx4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Alright hopefully someone can help me out because I'm at my wits end lol. When driving, usually 30 to 50 ish, when I let off the throttle and then give it some light throttle again, I sometimes get this light metallic chirping noise, kinda like 2 metal sockets are tapping together. It happens right around 1500 rpms. It is the same frequency too, speed doesn't really seem to matter. If i let the rpms fall til about 1200 then throttle back up lightly, i can usually get it to do it right until 1500, then it goes away instantly once you go past 1500. I thought it might be the serpentine belt/pulleys but all those are good. It sounds a bit like a wheel bearing but it doesn't do it going slow (did tire shake test and it is solid, plus had the fiance drive around me and I hear nothing). Thought maybe it was the cv axles but they just have the usual small play and don't make that clicking noise. Found from hours of googling about that star case from 2011 with the torque converter issue, the symptoms are very similar but that was 9 years ago, id imagine that has long been fixed. It doesn't do it on a hard pull either, and I can't get it to do it at 1500 rpms at speeds lower than about 25. The dealer has no clue either. I've been all over it trying to see if anything is rattling together, but since it only seems to do it at specific conditions im thinking trans or tc. Its a 2016 with 31k on it, jay greene engine and trans tune. Anyone have a clue? I've tried to take a video, but its faint enough its hard to hear over the whirr of my tires
My 2016 does it as well I've hunted and literally done everything... jay figured exhaust leak so I had my driverside manifold redone with upgraded m8 bolts... and just recently did passenger side as i had one broken bolt... i do have a leak at the back of my intake manifold which i believe is a crack but havent gotten around to picking up the 6.4 manifold to see if that resolves the issue.... my only other thought is the cats are ******... driver front cover is where mine comes from... try taking your belt off and seeing if it still does it in park accelerating slowly to said rpm. If you go on my profile you'll see my video I posted in regards to the noise...maybe we can figure it out thos time which would make me want to keep this truck as my 2010 never did it.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

OP
OP
FLYxxBOY

FLYxxBOY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It does sound somewhat similar, but mine doesn't seem to change pitch if you are going faster or not. That might also be because it only does it past a certain speed and rpm though. I cannot get it to do it at speeds under 20, but I will have to do it in park and see. But yours is the closest sounding i have found to it so thanks for the reply. I'm just hoping my trans doesn't just grenade lol.

OP
OP
FLYxxBOY

FLYxxBOY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I also read about that exhaust tab you mentioned but mine doesn't have that. I'm gonna clean my intakes tomorrow since it almost sounds like air squeal too. Its definitely a unique and hard to describe sound

OP
OP
FLYxxBOY

FLYxxBOY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
And yes driver side front is where I think the noise is coming from too

chris52010trx4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
And yes driver side front is where I think the noise is coming from too
I busted the tab off and that didnt help it... do you have stock intake? I have the stock box but put the eco diesel duct on mine ... had the k&n panel filter.since before it started... I want to do the afe catted y pipe but it's so damn expensive... I'd be happy if it resolved the noise but the dealer seems to think my cats are nice n quiet... I'm really glad someone else has got the same thing going on cuz I've spent hours researching this damn thing.

OP
OP
FLYxxBOY

FLYxxBOY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You and me both man, I thought cvs or torque converter but they said the sound they hear isn't either of those that they know what a bad one of those sounds like, but im like there is always a first time for everything. I have the s&b intake on mine with the breather line capped and a small filter on the intake side. I'll do the park test and clean both filters tomorrow and report back, but yeah nice to know I'm not alone lol.

chris52010trx4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I believe you posted on tunedrams as well about this as I saw with my brother on his fb.
Another member william calhoun has the same issue and has swapped all the pulleys water pump included. I'm praying to god this isnt the beginning of a cam failure.already as I've.only got 92k km on my truck and my 2010 went to 262k before I traded it in unwillingly due to a power steering pump failure on vacation and no pumps insite. And that truck never made a noise the whole time I had it

OP
OP
FLYxxBOY

FLYxxBOY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did you ever figure out what might be causing it? I'm gonna take it back to the dealer soon since my power train warranty is almost up. It hasn't gotten worse or anything, but curiously I did notice if it's in tow haul mode it super rarely does it. This makes me think more than anything it's in the torque converter/flex plate and an rpm issue.

chris52010trx4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Did you ever figure out what might be causing it? I'm gonna take it back to the dealer soon since my power train warranty is almost up. It hasn't gotten worse or anything, but curiously I did notice if it's in tow haul mode it super rarely does it. This makes me think more than anything it's in the torque converter/flex plate and an rpm issue.
No idea man. I tried snugging up the manifold to y pipe bolts and no difference. Dealer can't find anything although I don't believe they've really looked too hard. Mine still does it and still seems more pronounced on driver side.. one guy I saw on tunedrams fb page had the same issue and his was a crack on the top side of his cat... couldn't see it till they dropped the y pipe. Would make sense as most that I've talked to seem to believe its an exhaust leak

OP
OP
FLYxxBOY

FLYxxBOY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I know mine is nothing exhaust related, definitely something in the trans/torque converter since it is rpm based. I'll let you know what the dealer says when I take it in

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
I know mine is nothing exhaust related, definitely something in the trans/torque converter since it is rpm based. I'll let you know what the dealer says when I take it in
Hi there, please know that our team would be happy to offer additional support while you work to address this concern with your dealer! Please do not hesitate to send us a private message and keep us posted on your vehicle service.

Kathryn
RamCares

Rasworld84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Bringing this post back. I'm having the same issue/sound with my truck.. Did you ever find out what the problem was?

Rasworld84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did you find out where the noise was coming from?

VanCitySteve

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have exactly the same issue. hard to explain sound. like whooshing air/spray can rattle. Sounds like 2 spoons tapping. only around 1500 rpm. very pronounces when gearing down. it's driving me insane. i only have 14,000 kms