Odd thing happened

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

steveTS

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Ram 2500
Engine
cummins Diesel
I have a 2021 Tradesman 2500. It has a 5th wheel trailer hitch for my 39 ft grand design. The problem is when I hook up trailer the drive it then disconnect the trailer without turning off engine I get a check engine light on dash. The engine runs ruff but not horrible. I found that if I shut off engine then restart the dummy light goes off and all seems fine. Is this a a problem I need to address at dealership or just roll with it? Seems like a software glitch

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
The problem is when I hook up trailer the drive it then disconnect the trailer without turning off engine I get a check engine light on dash.
Are you sure it's not the trailer disconnect warning, what you described is exactly what causes that red light in the dash.
This is what it looks like:
RAM-2500-trailer-brake-warning-light.gif
The light is supposed to stay on unless the trailer brakes are plugged back in and working or the vehicle is turned off.

Not sure why the truck would run any different when the trailer is disconnected though.

OP
OP
steveTS

steveTS

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Ram 2500
Engine
cummins Diesel
No this is a yellow warning light but the truck doesn't idle normally when it happens. It's odd for sure

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Probably the best bet is to have the dealership scan the truck for codes, even though the light goes off it should store the fault code.
If they can't read anything you might have to tow the trailer to the dealership and disconnect to get the light to turn on for them.

Timsdually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Buy a test plug to check the trailer plug.
Plug it in and unplug it and see if it does it with the test plug.
Technically I would think it would. Then you don't have to haul your RV to the dealer to show them.
If it doesn't do it, then something is up with your RV plug.

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Any chance it is a bad battery? Maybe a bad cell? I wonder if it is something with the charging system, that does something wired once you disconnect the electric load.