Oddball question: Does a WDH count towards a truck's tongue weight?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Random_Walk

...what's this bolt do? *plink* ...oh.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 QC 4WD SLT
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
I would assume the weight of a WDH (typically around 100lbs or so) would count towards overall tongue weight as far as the truck is concerned, but I wanted to make sure. I also know that it takes stress off the hitch, which in turn may canx the weight penalty?

Anyrate, it's an odd question I've had floating in my head while I shop for something that has a 2" ball (and not a %$#@^&ing 2-5/8 ball! Yes, I could put a ball in myself, but I'm lazy and don't have a big enough wrench/socket rig to properly torque it all in, so...)

PS: I'm only looking at tongue weight. I already know it'll add to payload. Cheers!

Last edited:

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
If you are trying to calculate the right tongue weight for the weight of the trailer, do not include the weight of the WDH. You want your target % on the ball, prior to putting the WDH on. As you correctly said, it is however part of the total payload.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
Tongue weight is the amount of weight sitting on the tongue (or ball) so no, hitch weight would not count as tongue weight but like said, it does take away from your payload

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins

Spsully

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah. Tongue weight is less important to me to that rated weight on each axle. But having all the information and numbers for comparison would have been great

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
That is a good video as it provides a visual confirmation. On every one of these towing type threads, I have always recommended WD hitches. Not only do they solve the weight issues, the trailer pulls smoother and you are far less likely to have trailer sway, unless you severely overload weight behind the axles. Air bags and air suspension are just not as good a solution for ball pull trailers.

Spsully

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Air bags and air suspension are just not as good a solution for ball pull trailers.
The math gets way harder with 5th wheel or gooseneck.

I saw another video where they loaded the trailer and measured the weight on the axles at various psi levels. Showing that the bags don't effect the weight hardly at all. They really only help with how the suspension reacts to the weight. That was a good video too but that was years ago and I wouldn't even know where to start looking.

I'm not saying that air suspension is useless, just that it does very little to help in a bumper pull situation.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
With 5th wheel style, that is why the quality hitches slide back and forth. It gives you the ability to adjust the weight on the front and rear axles. It is also why loading a 5th wheel properly is so important. Always amazes me how many people load their campers and never give load distribution any thought. Then they wonder why they end up in a ditch if the least little thing goes wrong..

Spsully

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Absolutely. Anyone can pull a trailer. But you need to think to do it right.

jvbuttex

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I-6
Showing that the bags don't effect the weight hardly at all. They really only help with how the suspension reacts to the weight. That was a good video too but that was years ago and I wouldn't even know where to start looking.
exactly... airbags only help to level out the rear of the truck. NOT increase load supply.

CamperMike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Anyrate, it's an odd question I've had floating in my head while I shop for something that has a 2" ball (and not a %$#@^&ing 2-5/8 ball! Yes, I could put a ball in myself, but I'm lazy and don't have a big enough wrench/socket rig to properly torque it all in, so...)

PS: I'm only looking at tongue weight. I already know it'll add to payload. Cheers!
Have you talked to rv dealers or trailer shops to see what they would charge to set up the wdh or just install the right ball?

Last edited:

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
T
exactly... airbags only help to level out the rear of the truck. NOT increase load supply.
This exactly, bags just mask a sometimes serious problem. If you have to add air to level your load, your overweight at least on the truck rear axle.

jvbuttex

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I-6
Have you talked to rv dealers or trailer shops to see what they would charge to set up the wdh or just install the right ball?
ha ha ha... when we bought our trailer, the trailer was in the front, we were inspecting it. they took my truck around back to install the hitch, brought it out front and said, ok, you ready to go. Mind you they do alot of trailer sales and hitch sales. When i got home, did some research about setup. I found out it was too low.

CamperMike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
ha ha ha... when we bought our trailer, the trailer was in the front, we were inspecting it. they took my truck around back to install the hitch, brought it out front and said, ok, you ready to go. Mind you they do alot of trailer sales and hitch sales. When i got home, did some research about setup. I found out it was too low.
Our rv dealer installed my wdh and did a good job of assisting it actually. I could have done it but got then to throw it in the deal for the camper for a reasonable price. It also was in winter so I was glad to not have to mess with it.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Yeah. Tongue weight is less important to me to that rated weight on each axle. But having all the information and numbers for comparison would have been great
I was thinking more on this video. When I setup a WDH, they want me to get the front and rear body height to be pretty close to the same with and w/o the trailer hooked up. I'll have to go back and watch it again, but it seemed like they could have tweaked the hitch some to shift the weight even more.

09SilverRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
T

This exactly, bags just mask a sometimes serious problem. If you have to add air to level your load, your overweight at least on the truck rear axle.
These 4th gen dodges have soft springs and sag like crazy without being overloaded. My trailer has 485 pound tongue weight and weighs 3880 pounds on the cat scale. My leaf spring Chevy sat level with it hooked up, my dodge sat on its ass with the nose in the air and handled terrible. Whenever the the trailer bounced or pushed it would push the back of the truck down hard and push the front end around.

Airbags completely fixed it and it tows way better now.

Spsully

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
These 4th gen dodges have soft springs and sag like crazy without being overloaded. My trailer has 485 pound tongue weight and weighs 3880 pounds on the cat scale. My leaf spring Chevy sat level with it hooked up, my dodge sat on its ass with the nose in the air and handled terrible. Whenever the the trailer bounced or pushed it would push the back of the truck down hard and push the front end around.

Airbags completely fixed it and it tows way better now.
My 04 holds weight 1000 times better than my buddies 12. I know your pain.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
I agree, air bags do help address the rear end sagg you get with the coil spring rear ends on the 1500s and newer 2500s. It does make them ride level and handle better with loads, either in the box or on the hitch. That said, they are not nearly as effective as a WDH in getting the weight onto the right axles, especially in getting the axles on the trailer to carry their own share of the weight. If you tow a lot with a coil rear end, Bags AND WDH are the perfect answer.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcquinn