Odometer Mileage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dart67

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yesterday 4/5/2021, My wife and I drove from our home in Jessieville Arkansas to Irving Texas to purchase my New 2020 Ram 1500 Big Horn/Lone Star.

I trailered the new RAM home pulling it with my 03 Ram SLT.

Here is my question.... The odometer read 19 miles when we left the dealership for home. After riding on the trailer for the 5 1/2 hour trip home the Odometer shows 359 miles.

The 340 mile increase is pretty close to the distance traveled.

It was not driven. It was trailered. WHY the mileage increase? It should Still be 19 miles....

Anyone have any ideas.

Thanks, Herb aka Dart67
2 Rams.jpg 2 rams irving.jpg 2 rams home.jpg .

It was not driven. It was trailered. WHY the mileage increase? It should Still be 19 miles....

Thanks, Herb aka Dart67

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No clue, I agree if the wheels weren't moving, the odometer should not be counting.
Was the key on by chance?

ARE you sure that you didn't say "Hey this thing is NICE, let's drive it and trailer the old truck" ??

ChrisChen74

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
Does your new truck have navigation? I wonder if the GPS unit tracked the distance you traveled and calculated it as actual driven miles, if so there should be a failsafe to re-calibrate your odometer to proper mileage driven, but I'm just guessing.

Papa Red

Papa Red
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
That's crazy for sure. If that's the case it would show mileage from the factory to your dealer too. Way more than 19 miles. Curious as to why it did this.

Red

2012RAM1500RT

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Yesterday 4/5/2021, My wife and I drove from our home in Jessieville Arkansas to Irving Texas to purchase my New 2020 Ram 1500 Big Horn/Lone Star.

I trailered the new RAM home pulling it with my 03 Ram SLT.

Here is my question.... The odometer read 19 miles when we left the dealership for home. After riding on the trailer for the 5 1/2 hour trip home the Odometer shows 359 miles.

The 340 mile increase is pretty close to the distance traveled.

Anyone have any ideas.

Thanks, Herb aka Dart67
View attachment 243629 View attachment 243630 View attachment 243631 .

Thanks, Herb aka Dart67
Sharp truck even if it has 359 miles on it already! That makes no sense I agree, chalk it up to technology. By the way I hope you keep the all the chrome on it.

OP
OP
D

Dart67

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No clue, I agree if the wheels weren't moving, the odometer should not be counting.
Was the key on by chance?

ARE you sure that you didn't say "Hey this thing is NICE, let's drive it and trailer the old truck" ??

The Service advisor at the dealership in Hot Springs have already accused me of doing that. "How do we know you trailered it and didn't drive it?".

My response, I have photos of it on the trailer in Irving Texas and at my home in Jessieville Arkansas. Why in the hell would I pull a trailer 5 1/2 hours, load a truck on to it drive away then unload the truck and drive it and the other truck pulling an empty trailer another 5 1/2 hours home..

2012RAM1500RT

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
The Service advisor at the dealership in Hot Springs have already accused me of doing that. "How do we know you trailered it and didn't drive it?".

My response, I have photos of it on the trailer in Irving Texas and at my home in Jessieville Arkansas. Why in the hell would I pull a trailer 5 1/2 hours, load a truck on to it drive away then unload the truck and drive it and the other truck pulling an empty trailer another 5 1/2 hours home..
Exact response I'd expect from a dealership, "No common sense"

OP
OP
D

Dart67

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Does your new truck have navigation? I wonder if the GPS unit tracked the distance you traveled and calculated it as actual driven miles, if so there should be a failsafe to re-calibrate your odometer to proper mileage driven, but I'm just guessing.

Yes, it has the 8.4 U Connect Nav.
Sharp truck even if it has 359 miles on it already! That makes no sense I agree, chalk it up to technology. By the way I hope you keep the all the chrome on it.

I would "chalk it up to technology" BUT, someplace hopefully way down the road that 340 extra miles could make the difference on a warranty claim.

Yes, I will keep the all the chrome on it.

Matter of fact I have chrome Westin side steps on the way as well as chrome Putco SSR side rails for the bed.

OP
OP
D

Dart67

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That's crazy for sure. If that's the case it would show mileage from the factory to your dealer too. Way more than 19 miles. Curious as to why it did this.

Red

I agree...

Nice looking RAM... What side steps are those?

2012RAM1500RT

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Yes, it has the 8.4 U Connect Nav.

I would "chalk it up to technology" BUT, someplace hopefully way down the road that 340 extra miles could make the difference on a warranty claim.

Yes, I will keep the all the chrome on it.

Matter of fact I have chrome Westin side steps on the way as well as chrome Putco SSR side rails for the bed.
Trust me, I wasn't crediting technology at all. I agree with you 100% that it shouldn't have happened and I'd push for it to be reset myself if possible. Sounds minute but fair is fair.

Different Drummer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar V6
Definitely weird. It most likely spent some of its pre arrival to dealership time on a train and then some on a car carrier. Neither of those methods of transport seem to have put miles on the odometer.
If this thread is not a late April Fools prank and you are not using mind altering substances I would guess that it must be a result of something done during dealer prep and involves the navigation system.
OR

Is it possible you have looked at two different screens? i.e. at the dealer one of the trip meter screens was displayed and showed 19 miles? Then upon arriving home you viewed the actual cumulative "odometer" and it showed the 359 miles. If the dealer you purchased from located the truck at another dealer, the truck would have been driven from the original dealer to the dealer you purchased from. Though usually done to locate a vehicle that has a specific feature that the buyer wants such as color, LSD etc. , sometimes they will do this just to trade vehicles that they do not even have a buyer for yet.

KKBB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That is crazy!! I have no idea why it would do that, but I would keep pursuing it

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Just put the truck onto the trailer backwards,drive back to dealership and erase the miles that way.
:lol:
You beat me to it!

I get it, it sucks. You shouldn't have to accept it. But is 359 miles really worth the grief and frustration it will cause to try and get it corrected? In the end I doubt you'll be successful unless you have a dealer that's willing to bend over backwards for you, and you'll have wasted time and effort that could have been spent on just enjoying your new truck. For me, life is too short to sweat the small $hit. Congrats on your new truck and I wish you the best whatever you decide to do.

tjbrowder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Interesting....

I presume miles from point of manufacture to the dealership are not recorded since the truck is shipped in "ship mode" so nothing would register in the navigation.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

I was just teasing you since it's such a nice truck. They were probably serious, unfortunately.

Anthony Kalos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I guess that this is a good lesson to Learn... If you are gonna tow your truck, disconnect the battery before you go !!!

User-n-SC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L I6 Cummins HO Turbo Diesel
Also, i think I would have put it in shipping mode.. if possible.. considering as you said it only had 19 miles on it.. I may be wrong, I thought shipping mode is permanently disabled after something like 100 miles has been accumulated..

kolya

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v-6
It's strange that over the years I have had the exact same unexplainable things happen. My daughter says it's because I was a teenager in the 60's. I guess I've got that goin' for me.