OEM backup camera upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gordo2212

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 3500 Tradesman
Engine
6.4 L Hemi
Question Benny,

Is there a way to upgrade the backup camera in a 2018 3500 Tradesman to the one that zooms in on the hitch? I will be upgrading radio to UAQ and have the standard factory back up camera but it does not zoom in on hitch.

Is there a different version of camera I can replace in the handle and then activate with ODB? Thanks for the info.

Gordon

AllMoparParts.com

- Benny
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
All
Engine
All
Hi Gordon,
I am not really sure what all would be required for this. Is the option your referring to part of the Surround View camera system?

-Benny

OP
OP
Gordo2212

Gordo2212

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 3500 Tradesman
Engine
6.4 L Hemi
I have no clue. I’m down in Houma right now in a 2020 1500 rental that has a backup camera that I can hit a + on the screen and the camera looks down at where the hitch is. This would be great to add to my truck since I got it to tow my camper. I feel like its a pipe dream but it looks like the handle on the tailgate is the same on my truck so was figuring maybe just need an updated camera for the hitch or something. This truck does have front and back sensors that beep if your getting close to things, is that what you mean?

AllMoparParts.com

- Benny
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
All
Engine
All
Ok, send me your VIN when you get a chance and I will try to compare what the differences are with a later one equipped with that feature.

- Benny

AllMoparParts.com

- Benny
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
All
Engine
All
Hi Gordon,

From what I see this feature is available with the Surround View (XAK) option, Your truck is equipped with park view (XAC) only. The first limitation I see is that your radio would not be able to support this. This option also appears to have debuted in 2019 and there were quite a bit of changes made between the 18 and 19 so I do not think this will be possible.

- Benny

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plato45