Oem battery

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Might want to double check the PN on the battery, my 2013 came with an AGM from the factory...

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Mine was regular. I switched to AGM. I'm told you can also up the battery size (to H8?, whatever the next size up is) by removing a tray spacer.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
An H8 will also fit the Hemi battery tray. One of the highest capacity Made in the USA batteries you can fit is the Odyssey 49-950 (H8), for H7 is he 94R-850

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I went with H7. Plenty enough for stock, unless one starts adding all sorts of electronic gizmos. Bass boom boxes, etc. If the cost difference was minimal, then H8 of course. But I recall it being significant for that much more lead / amps. Don't recall what truck came with stock, think it was in 700's CCA.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Regular lead-acid battery.

Walmart used to sell a replacement battery made by JCI (Johnson Controls Inc) which was essentially a carbon copy of the original when I bought mine (OEM was also made by JCI). Same thing other than the label. Maybe they still do.

And my tks original battery lasted 11 yrs.

Edit: Sorry, I mis-counted ..a little over 10yrs

Last edited:

MontanaHandyman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Regular lead-acid battery.

Walmart used to sell a replacement battery made by JCI (Johnson Controls Inc) which was essentially a carbon copy of the original when I bought mine (OEM was also made by JCI). Same thing other than the label. Maybe they still do.

And my tks original battery lasted 11 yrs.
11 years!? Do you live in a warm climate?

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Sorry, I mis-counted ...a little over 10yrs. (truck is fall 2011). It's not uncommon for a battery up in these parts to last 8-10 yrs.

MontanaHandyman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Sorry, I mis-counted ...a little over 10yrs. (truck is fall 2011). It's not uncommon for a battery up in these parts to last 8-10 yrs.
Ok...ten years...that's more like it! Lol! Here in Montana with blazing hot summers and frigid winters I'm lucky to get 6 out of a top o' the line battery.

TMyers

USMC 84' - 92'
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
What is AGM.?? Sorry for the lack of battery knowledge.
Absorbent Glass Mat (AGM). They are supposed to be more durable and last twice as long as a normal acid/lead battery. They will also take a faster charge with a AGM charger. I just replaced my Cummins Ram batteries with two of them. I went with the Napa AGM's made by East Penn/ Deka Batteries.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I looked at the AGM recently but went with standard battery, over $100 cheaper and more than enough power and reserve for accessories. Maybe next time.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I run AGM on all my vehicles, MC, truck, only Lawn Mower gets the Walmart Specials. When my OEM dies, definitely get a AGM, as high as I can fit in the tray, because the heat here is a killer on these batteries. U can sometimes smell them cooking when that temp stays at 110, LOL. I have the standard 730 CCA battery but the optional 180 amp Alternator in MY 19 with the 5.7 non-e-torque.

LIL CAVEAT: I got an "older" Sears Craftsman Battery Charger that actually has a switch on it to Charge a Standard/or AGM Battery.

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Absorbent Glass Mat (AGM). They are supposed to be more durable and last twice as long as a normal acid/lead battery. They will also take a faster charge with a AGM charger. I just replaced my Cummins Ram batteries with two of them. I went with the Napa AGM's made by East Penn/ Deka Batteries.
I run AGM on all my vehicles, MC, truck, only Lawn Mower gets the Walmart Specials. When my OEM dies, definitely get a AGM, as high as I can fit in the tray, because the heat here is a killer on these batteries. U can sometimes smell them cooking when that temp stays at 110, LOL. I have the standard 730 CCA battery but the optional 180 amp Alternator in MY 19 with the 5.7 non-e-torque.

LIL CAVEAT: I got an "older" Sears Craftsman Battery Charger that actually has a switch on it to Charge a Standard/or AGM Battery.
Both of you mention AGM chargers? Will a "normal" trickle charger not work on these?

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Both of you mention AGM chargers? Will a "normal" trickle charger not work on these?

Articles all over the place. NOCO makes an intelligent maintainer/trickle charger that a lot of folks that live up in Northern Tier areas, like Canada, MN etc use. Others use trickle chargers. On my HD MC, with the alarm system, I had a HD specific charger for charging. I now have a Honda Wing and I kept my HD charger and wired in the HD pig tail and I put on trickle charger/maintainer that is specifically made for Motorcycles when the MC gonna sit for a bunch of weeks or the temp gonna stay low. Being a Trike setup, I got battery stuff built in due to compressor etc.,. But it is an 06 Bike with a 15 Trike kit. Being a 6 cylinder bike, my battery has to be kept up as a weak battery never turn that monster over, since the added kick starter was eliminated from most bikes years ago. I do not know if the real newer rides with all the tech has anything built in. As far as your truck, you would have to read and make your own decision. I would only put truck on a trickle/maintainer if sitting for a long period of time. But that is me, and my opinion only. I cannot recommend either way.

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963