Oem battery

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
Yes, I am aware of that. However, I am wondering if the charging voltage going into the battery might be different than those trucks that do not come with AGM.
My RAM is a 2017 and the OEM battery is not AGM
I worried about this also, I couldn't get the dealer even to tell me if I had ECM code for battery type sensing. So I said screw it and put one in anyway. I haven't boiled it yet - which would be the failure mode (overcharge - AGMs are more efficient so need a lower charge rate).
When I changed my battery out I asked the same question and I’ve been looking through settings for the IBS Intelligent Battery Sensor and found the ones applied to my 2016 1500 5.7 are the same as the 2016 2500 6.7 Cummins which tells me they’re probably the same across the board.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
I just looked at my build sheet as I have it scanned to my puter, I see 730amp battery, which is still in the truck , 14 sport, it has the performance hood, so that must help:)
One thing , it lists a ashtray light, funny , in all the years I have has this , never found a ashtray?
I have only 72km on the truck

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I just looked at my build sheet as I have it scanned to my puter, I see 730amp battery, which is still in the truck , 14 sport, it has the performance hood, so that must help:)
One thing , it lists a ashtray light, funny , in all the years I have has this , never found a ashtray?
I have only 72km on the truck

What BCI Group Size is your OEM battery?

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Duralast is made by Johnson Controls ...as is the Walmart Ram battery ...and Optima batteries. If you have a Menards near you they sell a Delco-branded large battery which has side and top posts (if that has any value to you)

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Delco is JCI also. As is Interstate.
Since they moved from Milwaukee to Mexico, their quality went downhill. Research it.
I only buy East Penn, Odyssey, Trojan.
I don't have any trouble with these.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Delco is JCI also....

You know ...you're right. When I bought the Delco battery, it said made in Korea by Delkor. And there was some quality assurance data that looked pretty good. I just looked it up and it's a subsidiary of Johnson Controls. So, Thanks ...I stand corrected.

My main reason for buying it was the large size and dual-post feature which is was the only local battery (in stock) like it I could find. It's not in my Ram ...BTW (that's another JCI battery!).

I haven't had any problems with JCI batteries (nor Optimas) so that's ok with me. I used to work for JCI for many yrs (not in the battery division). When I worked for them I had all Optima batteries as an employee could buy them a lot cheaper ..he he.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
You know ...you're right. When I bought the Delco battery, it said made in Korea by Delkor. And there was some quality assurance data that looked pretty good. I just looked it up and it's a subsidiary of Johnson Controls. So, Thanks ...I stand corrected.

My main reason for buying it was the large size and dual-post feature which is was the only local battery (in stock) like it I could find. It's not in my Ram ...BTW (that's another JCI battery!).

I haven't had any problems with JCI batteries (nor Optimas) so that's ok with me. I used to work for JCI for many yrs (not in the battery division). When I worked for them I had all Optima batteries as an employee could buy them a lot cheaper ..he he.

np - it's impossible to keep up with all the takeovers. JCI was once one of the best. Not anymore, in the race to the bottom.
Look at Ram - "Stellantis"? Really?

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
What BCI Group Size is your OEM battery?
Code is BCNS, on sheet, 730amp maintenance free battery, just the standard one I guess, have not looked at the truck, cold and 60KM winds

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Time will tell. People claim this quality is bad or that ...but in the case of batteries, there's a number of factors over 5 or 10 yrs that can contribute to battery life ...but how can you tell what's what unless ya kept laboratory-quality records of multiple batteries? (you can't)

I've had Optima's and L/A batteries which I didn't 'think' lasted as long as I thought they should, and a few that lasted way longer than I thought they should. Then again, some of those did go dead-dead ...more than a time or two over their life. They charged up, but that might have been part of the problem too. But I never kept track of which battery did what for how long and what time of year. So how do ya REALLY know??

Last edited:

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
You tell by reading reviews for a while before purchasing.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Some Interstates I think are also made by Exide (or used to be). Batteries are going to be made to specifications regardless if it's JCI battery or Exide. L/A battery production hasn't changed much in decades. It comes down to the cost to manufacture ....and scale. The cost of mfgr, they've had that as low as possible for years. Not much can change there.

The better and more expensive batteries like your Interstates and Motorcrafts, Platinum-level batteries will have:

-Thicker plates
-Better quality innards
-More internal support structure
-New (not recycled) lead
-New (not recycled) Acid

Spoiler alert: if you buy the cheapest, 2yr warranty battery off Facebook, you're not getting the same quality of battery that costs 25-60% more from Interstate or other places. But you guys know that...

Last edited:

w6pea

U.S.Marine Corps Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500 "Laramie" 4x2 CC/LB SRW 6.7L CTD Leer 122 Campershell
Engine
6.7L IL6 Cummins Turbo Diesel
I went out to start my Ram 2500 and my JGC . Thought the JGC wouldn’t start. Surprise surprise it started send crank of the hemi engine. I went to start my Ram truck and all I got was click click . The bad thing is that I replaced the batteries in my truck in October. Stated great in October and November. Got carted away to the hospital in an ambulance. My wife doesn’t drive anymore so both the Ram Truck and the JGC (Jeep Grand Cherokee), both have new batteries so go figure

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Some Interstates I think are also made by Exide (or used to be). Batteries are going to be made to specifications regardless if it's JCI battery or Exide. L/A battery production hasn't changed much in decades. It comes down to the cost to manufacture ....and scale. The cost of mfgr, they've had that as low as possible for years. Not much can change there.

The better and more expensive batteries like your Interstates and Motorcrafts, Platinum-level batteries will have:

-Thicker plates
-Better quality innards
-More internal support structure
-New (not recycled) lead
-New (not recycled) Acid

Spoiler alert: if you buy the cheapest, 2yr warranty battery off Facebook, you're not getting the same quality of battery that costs 25-60% more from Interstate or other places. But you guys know that...

It comes down to quality control and environmental regulations.

Different Drummer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar V6
I went out to start my Ram 2500 and my JGC . Thought the JGC wouldn’t start. Surprise surprise it started send crank of the hemi engine. I went to start my Ram truck and all I got was click click . The bad thing is that I replaced the batteries in my truck in October. Stated great in October and November. Got carted away to the hospital in an ambulance. My wife doesn’t drive anymore so both the Ram Truck and the JGC (Jeep Grand Cherokee), both have new batteries so go figure
More phantom loads in the RAM than the Jeep?

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI

Yes - I couldn't remember the name of those. They were started by some guys from Odyssey, now Odyssey bought them, but they all kept their original marketing names. Both superb AGM batteries made in USA.

Batteries Plus carries X2, Autozone carries Odyssey.

Dr. Righteous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Seems with the OEM battery they live long and prosper or they die young.
The one in my '14 RAM laughs off freezing weather and is still going strong. The one in dad's '18 BigHorn went toes up the first cold snap we had this year winter.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Seems with the OEM battery they live long and prosper or they die young.
The one in my '14 RAM laughs off freezing weather and is still going strong. The one in dad's '18 BigHorn went toes up the first cold snap we had this year winter.

Remember batteries have been outsourced in the 2000's.

Different Drummer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar V6
Yes - I couldn't remember the name of those. They were started by some guys from Odyssey, now Odyssey bought them, but they all kept their original marketing names. Both superb AGM batteries made in USA.

Batteries Plus carries X2, Autozone carries Odyssey.

LOL!! I was using the X2 to signify my agreeing with your post. All my batteries are either East Penn. or Odyssey. I have never used Trojan but know many who have used their FLA 6 volt batteries ( 2 in series ) and they love them. Ever since an OEM FLA battery in a very new BMW motorcycle I owned shorted and ****** on the frame and engine cover I have only purchased AGM batteries. Never looked back. However, I will be purchasing a LiFePO4 from Battle Born but that will be for a totally different application.

reddawg67

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
well the oem battery failed me today !i guess 6 yrs aint bad ?think im gonna go with the advance diehard ?