OEM Factory Trailer Brake Controller Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tking834

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I installed this part on my 2014 Ram 1500 and took it to the dealer to get flashed. I was told by the dealer that the part was "dead" or defective and that I needed to get a replacement to install. They said that once I did that everything should work fine. After the flash I did have the trailer brake menu in the control center and additional trailer settings in the radio. However squeezing the dash controller did nothing and neither did the +/- buttons. On the trailer brake menu it simply said "no trailer connected" or something to that effect.

I contacted the company that supplied the controller and they sent a replacement next day via FedEx. When I installed that controller there was no change.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
They are year specific with part numbers, 2015’s are different from 2013’s and 14’s. 16, 17, and I think 18 are the same. 82213474 that should be the pet number for yours. If it’s “dead” it could very well be the wrong model year pet number.

82215040AB is for 16-18. I can’t find the 15 part number right now.

2018 2500 6.4 4x4 4.10 Amsoil SS 0w-40, Softopper
Black Rhino Armory 18x9 +12mm
Cooper Stt MAXX LT295/70R18

2016 Durango 5.7 AWD 3.07 Amsoil SS 5W-30
1996 Nissan Altima 2.4 Amsoil SS 5W-30

Last edited:

ImNickJames

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
how much was the flash at the dealer? debating this for myself

Kinetic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Interested in the flash cost also.

Looking the 18 part number Ebay has them for around $205, I think retail is around $299?

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
It cost my $150 for them to flash my 1500. I got all the codes I would eventually add, and had them do about 10 at once.

My dealer in Idaho only wanted $55, but San Antonio was a different monster. It Varies, call around and see what you get.

2018 2500 6.4 4x4 4.10 Amsoil SS 0w-40, Softopper
Black Rhino Armory 18x9 +12mm
Cooper Stt MAXX LT295/70R18

2016 Durango 5.7 AWD 3.07 Amsoil SS 5W-30
1996 Nissan Altima 2.4 Amsoil SS 5W-30

isharj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I added a ITBC to my 16 last week and the dealer here charged me $80.

markusaf81

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2014 Express and installed an OEM controller, part number 82213474 and the dealer charged me $30 to flash it.

DaveBarr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had the dealer add the trailer code option XHC when they did the recall for the auto-park software, but cannot see any changes on the control center. Does it sound like they did not download the updated sales codes to the truck? Should it show new trailer brake menu items on the control center whether or not it is actually functioning or installed? I did install it but I'm curious why I don't see anything new related to trailer brakes on the control center.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I had the dealer add the trailer code option XHC when they did the recall for the auto-park software, but cannot see any changes on the control center. Does it sound like they did not download the updated sales codes to the truck? Should it show new trailer brake menu items on the control center whether or not it is actually functioning or installed? I did install it but I'm curious why I don't see anything new related to trailer brakes on the control center.

If the ITBM was installed before the sales code was added. You should have seen the information for the brake controller on the EVIC and/or 8.4 radio. The brake controller infromation should pop up on the EVIC if you slide the manual lever even if there is no trailer attached.
If the ITBM wasn't installed, maybe try pulling off the battery cable. If nothing changes, take it back to the dealer. You would be the first to have the sales code not take the first time around.

rotwiler

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QC Outdoorsman
Engine
I found a used trailer brake OEM module on ebay and bought a new switch. But dealer acted like they never flashed one before, was rediculous. Had to go back 3 times to have them flash it. This was a Ram dealer, tech said in 2013 didn't show in the premium evic, that was wrong, since 3rd time it showed. Then when I got home, no settings on the 8.4 radio. I stuck in my USB update stick, 3 minutes later a message came up, update finished and had trailer settings, so the update can tell if a option was added which was nice.

78Staff

US Navy Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I picked up one off ebay as well, going to use AlfaOBD to flash it when I get it installed. I actually installed the metal bracket today, what a complete PITA. I was only able to get one screw in, and had to rig the rest using zip ties. I can't imagine how a dealer adds it without ripping the dash out.

Anyway, have a new aux panel coming so just waiting on it to arrive before installing the switch and flashing, but at least the damn bracket is in place.

Edit - Installed this morning, and flashed with AlfaOBD, eazy peazy :waytogo:

vH4T3S1.jpg

Last edited:

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I picked up one off ebay as well, going to use AlfaOBD to flash it when I get it installed. I actually installed the metal bracket today, what a complete PITA. I was only able to get one screw in, and had to rig the rest using zip ties. I can't imagine how a dealer adds it without ripping the dash out.

Anyway, have a new aux panel coming so just waiting on it to arrive before installing the switch and flashing, but at least the damn bracket is in place.

Edit - Installed this morning, and flashed with AlfaOBD, eazy peazy :waytogo:

The bracket is impossible unless you have super human flexibility or tear the truck apart. Mine's installed with those super heavyduty strap ties and some closed cell foam on the back. It hasn't moved since I strapped it up under the dash and it doesn't rattle so its good enough for me.

Boonville660

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What settings did you change in alfa obd? I tryed to do it in my 16 ram 1500. I get the settings for the controller but cant change them and i dont get the tow hawl option in the main menu. On my interment cluster

gears49

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I had the dealer install mine. Part, labor, and programming ran $500. I went that route because I figured it would save me a lot of time, aggravation, and trouble. Works like a champ 1st time, every time.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I installed this part on my 2014 Ram 1500 and took it to the dealer to get flashed. I was told by the dealer that the part was "dead" or defective and that I needed to get a replacement to install. They said that once I did that everything should work fine. After the flash I did have the trailer brake menu in the control center and additional trailer settings in the radio. However squeezing the dash controller did nothing and neither did the +/- buttons. On the trailer brake menu it simply said "no trailer connected" or something to that effect.

I contacted the company that supplied the controller and they sent a replacement next day via FedEx. When I installed that controller there was no change.

Do you have a trailer with brakes hooked up? It won't do anything without one.

likes2build

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Express RCSB
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Ok so here is my question. I have a new stripped small 1500 RC truck and want to add a factory brake controller. My truck only has the small EVIC and I need to know where the brake settings are going to show up? I do have a UAQ radio and the AlfaOBD to activate the controller after install so I don't need the dealer.

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Ok so here is my question. I have a new stripped small 1500 RC truck and want to add a factory brake controller. My truck only has the small EVIC and I need to know where the brake settings are going to show up? I do have a UAQ radio and the AlfaOBD to activate the controller after install so I don't need the dealer.

Honestly its a 50/50 on where it's going to show up. My fathers bare bones 2500 shows up in the small EVIC, but since you have the UAQ it should read that the ITBC is present from the BCM and give you the options there like trucks that come factory with the 8.4.

Jukebox64

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I know this is a silly question but did you have a trailer hooked up when you tried using the trailer break? I know mine will not work or show me anything if I’m not hooked up to a trailer.

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I know this is a silly question but did you have a trailer hooked up when you tried using the trailer break? I know mine will not work or show me anything if I’m not hooked up to a trailer.

Mine does show. I have the 8.4 uconnect, if I push the +/- buttons it will change the gain, if I squeeze the slider it will show the trailer menu on the dash and say, no trailer connected.

I can scroll through the menus on the dash, and stop on trailer at anytime (connected or not).

This would be with a dash that comes with an 8.4 uconnect system. It might be different with different dashes.

oldguy2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I installed the control on my 2017 1500 and a NH dealer charged me $67.50 to flash. Yes I know it is an odd amount. It must be a percentage of an hourly rate.