OEM LED CHMSL with Cargo Camera connected to 8.4RA

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chamolie

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 SLT
Engine
Cummins 6.7
This weekends project will be to install the OEM LED CHMSL with Cargo Camera to 8.4 RA4 screen.
AlfaOBD has been used to enabled "CHMSL Camera" in Car Configuration Change and the screen turns blue when the cargo camera is selected (Ready to receive and display signal).

I am going to build my own harness and install this weekend.
Pictures to follow...

List of items:

Mopar OEM LED CHMSL with Cargo Camera - part #68163937AJ

CHMSL LED Camera.jpg

Mopar wiring tailgate - part #68189124AC (to connect to camera)

connector.jpg

Cargo Camera wires:

will cut harness connector and strip down to the 6 wires only that connect to the camera

Red = Switched 12v power
Black = Ground
Green = Camera Signal
Clear/white = Camera Return
Yellow = Camera Shield
Blue = CAN bus

8.4 stereo Connector: 16-17 Radio Setup (& radios w/ v17.x SW)

(Sig / Sig Rtn / Shld)

Backup Cam: 31 / 32 / 33 (if not in Mirror)

CHMSL Cam: 24 / 25 / 26

Front Cam: 21 / 22 / 23 (VES - Req's custom SW or module)

Connections Required:

Red (switched 12v power)
Black (ground)

Green (camera signal) - connect to pin 24 at rear on stereo connector
Clear/White (camera return) - connect to pin 25 at rear on stereo connector
Yellow (camera shield) - connect to pin 26 at rear on stereo connector

Blue (can bus) not sure if required to be connected to can bus as there is no option to toggle lines ON/OFF will try without and update post later

Roman217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm interested in doing this too. Keep us updated.

Where are you planning on getting the 12v switched power for the camera?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
very nice.....a cargo cam would be nice

OP
OP
chamolie

chamolie

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 SLT
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I'm interested in doing this too. Keep us updated.

Where are you planning on getting the 12v switched power for the camera?

I know that I saw 2 pink (power) wires in the C-Pillar at rear window on the drivers side.
That should be power for dome light, map light and overhead console.
I will test, if NOT, I will run back to power inverter below stereo

DeereGuy

Preferred Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I’ve posted the whole process of what needs to be done to make it work over at this thread. I’ve built several of these harnesses for people now, and use the i440 connector to get power, ground, and Lin. Depending on the trim of your truck you may just need to go to the green connector behind the headlight switch and not all the way to the radio connector.

https://www.ramforum.com/threads/installing-oem-backup-cam.53505/page-102#post-1404552

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
OP
chamolie

chamolie

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 SLT
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I’ve posted the whole process of what needs to be done to make it work over at this thread. I’ve built several of these harnesses for people now, and use the i440 connector to get power, ground, and Lin. Depending on the trim of your truck you may just need to go to the green connector behind the headlight switch and not all the way to the radio connector.

The power shut off on me this morning while making this post and I just noticed that I had accidentally posted this in the 3rd gen forum, i meant for it to be in the 4th gen DIY.

Deereguy, what colors or pins would be for the CHMSL Camera in the green connector?

DeereGuy

Preferred Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
The power shut off on me this morning while making this post and I just noticed that I had accidentally posted this in the 3rd gen forum, i meant for it to be in the 4th gen DIY.

Deereguy, what colors or pins would be for the CHMSL Camera in the green connector?

The easiest way to tell is that the truck side connector will have an unshielded wire in it. See image below

0859F813-889F-4020-83D0-0A3C1DA0DA08.jpeg

jdip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just purchased the light .Was originally planning on using it as a 3rd brake light and swapping it out with my smoked recon. But now since im halfway there I'm considering going all the way and adding the camera option as well . Did I read all this correctly that someone was making the harness for members? And all I need is Alfa obd to activate the camera feature after getting it hooked up right? I already plan on buying Alfa obd just to get the brake light to work . No resistors are needed if the led 3rd brake light feature is turned on right? I think that app will compare to what I used when I had my audi q5 so I feel I'll be pretty good at using it and not screwing with things that can kill the truck .

jdip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just also realized infotainment has added an OEM chmsl kit option that appears to have all the harnesses needed. The harnesses they provide convert to rca connectors just like the aftermarket option they sell . If I can't find anyone that can make the harnesses for me I'll explore the infotainment option assuming they will let me buy the harnesses separately without purchasing the light and the flashtool

Michael Fendley

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I bought my harness from DeereGuy, and it works great! Install was literally less than 30 minutes, and the hardest part was moving the c-pillar trim far enough to gain access to the plug, without removing the rear seat. In the AlfaOBD you have to change two options, telling the the CHMSL is there, and that it is LED. Also, if you have a 2018 truck, you will also need the security harness, which I also got from Mike. As an important note - Mike's harness has all of the OEM connectors - plugs in with no splicing.

jdip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That's awesome. Will there be anything else i need to buy besides the programming app? (I already have a good bluetooth obd2) assuming that I can buy a custom made one from him? How can I get a hold of Mike? Just PM him, I'm not sure if he's monitoring this post or not . I have a 2014 so won't have any problems with the bypass.

DeereGuy

Preferred Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
That's awesome. Will there be anything else i need to buy besides the programming app? (I already have a good bluetooth obd2) assuming that I can buy a custom made one from him? How can I get a hold of Mike? Just PM him, I'm not sure if he's monitoring this post or not . I have a 2014 so won't have any problems with the bypass.

Do you know what firmware version is on your radio?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jdip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Currently I'm 17.11.07 . I checked the other day (Canadian import so I don't get ota and have to wait for usb download release) and they have out 17.43.01 in spring of this year I must have missed that one

Michael Fendley

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I can't say enough about the usefulness of this mod. When I first did the mod, and showed my wife, she was like "why are you changing the brand new truck you just bought?" BUT just the other day I purchased an upright freezer from Lowe's, and was driving the load home. I had place the freezer in the bed upright, and had a cargo net stretched over it, but was still a little worried that the load may tip. My wife asks " can't your new camera thingy see the freezer?" - I had completely forgotten the CARGO camera! A couple of pushes on the screen, and I was watching the freezer as I was driving down the road. Of course, the display only lasts about 15 seconds at a time, but I was able to bring the camera up when needed (before turning or going over railroad tracks, etc.) and it worked great.

jdip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Guy from infotainment did just say that if I update to 17.43.01 I will lose the ability to use the cargo camera . He said the update blocks the ability. Mike can you just let me know what I need to do or how much it will be for a harness to be made .That's if you are willing to do it for me sir .

Roman217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
@DeereGuy Please PM the cost of the harness too, I have a crew cab 2015 Laramie if that matters.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

DeereGuy

Preferred Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Guy from infotainment did just say that if I update to 17.43.01 I will lose the ability to use the cargo camera . He said the update blocks the ability. Mike can you just let me know what I need to do or how much it will be for a harness to be made .That's if you are willing to do it for me sir .

He is correct. If you upgrade to 17.3.01 you will not be able to add the cargo cam on a pre 2016 radio. Sending you a PM now.

jdip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Will I be able to upgrade after it's installed and activated or is it a no go all together once it's installed until an update in the future comes out that won't screw it up?