OEM push button start kits

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sawz

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500 QC
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm considering doing this - to be honest at first it seemed cost prohibitive, but factoring in I can also add in the factory remote start without a dealer trip/charge (If I'm reading everything correctly) does make it more attractive. Since I have a 16 I don't have the "easy" Remote Start install option of the 17 and up models, so have to replace the RF Hub either way.

Question is, how hard is it to change/wire the new handles? It seems counter intuitive to put all this into the adding the system and not get the handles (ie, basic kit) but seeing posts about difficulty of installing/wiring them, ****** hands :), etc. makes me wonder. I watched the vendor video's but tbh they weren't well done.

Also, I'm not clear on the rear handles - so you can keep stock rear handles that will unlock like normal with pressing key fob button or door buttons, or add rear proximity handles same as front that have the touch sensor, basically? I have quad cab so my thinking is rear handle change wouldn't really be necessary imo.

You can use the 2017 RF hub which has the remote start antenna in it, no need for a separate remote start antenna. That saves a few bucks as they are expensive. I put the 2017 rf hub in my 2015. I had remote start to begin with with the separate antenna, now I'm using the 2107 hub with internal antenna.

78Staff

US Navy Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Thanks guys - less concerned about the RF Hub, that part seems straightforward.

Am looking for info on swapping over the handles and the difficulty of it.

EDIT - found the 1A Vid in @Jimmy07's thread - that looks like more work than I want to mess with to be honest. Guess I need to decide if the upgrade is worth doing sans proximity handles, ie the "basic kit" version.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I plan on (finally) getting around to adding my drivers proximity handle this weekend.

IMHO the system without that is just kinda meh....push button start is nice, but if I need to take my fob out to lock or unlock my doors anyway, it kinda defeats the purpose.

mjf6175

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins
Thanks guys - less concerned about the RF Hub, that part seems straightforward.

Am looking for info on swapping over the handles and the difficulty of it.

EDIT - found the 1A Vid in @Jimmy07's thread - that looks like more work than I want to mess with to be honest. Guess I need to decide if the upgrade is worth doing sans proximity handles, ie the "basic kit" version.

Staff.....I came to the same conclusion as you about installing the handles and went with the basic kit. I really wanted the pushbutton start instead of plugging in that plastic key into the ignition every time. The Basic Kit is really OK. Think about it, with the basic kit you have a remote which you just simply click to unlock the doors. The proximity handles saves you clicking your remote. Figured I could live with clicking the remote to unlock the doors instead of just grabbing the door handle while saving the $$ and headache of installing those handles. Works for me, thought I just pass along another member's view. Good luck in whatever you decide.............

78Staff

US Navy Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I plan on (finally) getting around to adding my drivers proximity handle this weekend.
IMHO the system without that is just kinda meh....push button start is nice, but if I need to take my fob out to lock or unlock my doors anyway, it kinda defeats the purpose.

That was my original thought as well - if I've already got my hand on the remote to unlock the door...

Staff.....I came to the same conclusion as you about installing the handles and went with the basic kit. I really wanted the pushbutton start instead of plugging in that plastic key into the ignition every time. The Basic Kit is really OK. Think about it, with the basic kit you have a remote which you just simply click to unlock the doors. The proximity handles saves you clicking your remote. Figured I could live with clicking the remote to unlock the doors instead of just grabbing the door handle while saving the $$ and headache of installing those handles. Works for me, thought I just pass along another member's view. Good luck in whatever you decide.............

Yeah I am kinda on the fence :). I talked to the Auto guys they said it's not that hard but tedious to do the door handles. They can also be added later on if I decide I can't be without them. Going to mull it over some and decide - thanks

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ive had the push to start installed for a few months now. I do like being able to keep the fob in my pocket while I drive, I dont like still having to take it out to lock and unlock the doors.

Both of our other cars have push to start, my RAM was the odd man out in regards to having to carry the fob in the open, etc. Just makes it easier to drop and lose, IMHO, so when we realized it could be remedied, I went for it. The irony is that if factory ordered, its only a $195.00 option! BUT its limited to what trim levels....my Big Horn surely could not get it, cant even order it.

I did realize, though, that I probably only need the driver's handle to be proximity. I have never been on the passenger side wishing I could just grab the handle to unlock the truck, so for now I will just add the drivers handle. Also makes it a bit easier on the wallet (spending a little at a time instead of all at once)

With AlfaOBD being a thing, the kits to add on push button start/prox entry are pretty overpriced. The actual parts cost, even with 2 brand new handles, is only around $400. Even less if you search around and buy piece meal or can find good used handles. The programming is a piece of cake, and in fact was proven that you are better off using AlfaOBD even if you pay for the pre-built kit, because there were a few things they werent (or cant) set, like keyfob safe, etc.

sawz

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500 QC
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Question - I see you have tinted front windows....any worry that the painters tape would peel the tint off? Thats part of why I havent done mine yet.

Not tinted, it's straight factory. But the blue painters tape probably won't peel the tint off it was put on properly.

fearroyo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
Question - I see you have tinted front windows....any worry that the painters tape would peel the tint off? Thats part of why I havent done mine yet.

It will not hurt. I used painters tape on my tinted windows

hollywoodbusa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Is it possible to add the RAM push button start to an '07 truck?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

GiJoeFontaine

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
for all those who wondered and wished then said hell no to a $2000 price tag... one of our own has solved it on the cheap!

Tim7139

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Classic ST Crew 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi w/8 speed 3.92 gears
for all those who wondered and wished then said hell no to a $2000 price tag... one of our own has solved it on the cheap!
Any known issues with used passive entry antennas or used ignition switches for the swap?

alexander122

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mornin everyone. Just wanted to pop in here and say that I'm glad you guys found our service! I work at Auto Tech Electronic as an IT and our Push Start kits are something we launched within the last few months. I'm happy to answer any questions about our product. We wanted to provide anyone with an alternative to trading in their vehicle or working with aftermarket parts. Feel free to call our shop anytime between 9am and 6pm CST at 956-508-3450. Cheers!
Why are your prices so ridiculous