OEM Radiator Life Expectancy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chiefrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum V8
Any thoughts on how long the original radiator should last? My guess is the 24 year old radiator with 185K miles in my truck should probably be replaced! I just noticed a very slight coolant leak, evidenced by a small dark spot appearing under the lower right corner of the rad as you face the front of the truck.

I would normally get on the ground for a thorough look, but a recent injury prevents me from doing just that. For $100, I guess I should just order a new one.

Bear_Gibson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
Typically the plastic tanks will crack, or start leaking at the tank seals. I put a large aluminum one in mine in 2017 for added cooling and piece of mind. I hate plastic radiator tanks. The drain is on that side as well as the washer tank on my 99.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
When you do your research, look around your area for a Radiator Shop.
Not a auto parts store that sells radiators, they are just middlemen

A true radiator shop only deals in new & rebuilt or repaired radiators
If you were to drive to one of the radiator shops, they can & likely will give you options.
They usually can buy a brand new radiator for less than an auto parts store can, because the overhead is less.

Hero6

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mine original 1998 radiator gave up at about 180k. Like most people, I needed a quick replacement and just bought one from Auto Zone. If I had the downtime, I would have ordered an all aluminum radiator.