OEM Wheels TPMS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

joetama

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Have a 2021 RAM 2500 Tradesman, been a great truck so far. Pulls quadruple duty as it's my work truck, farm truck, pulls the wife's travel trailer, and ends up being the family cruiser because everyone has space.

Last week our farm was destroyed by a tornado, so the truck has been working extra hard pulling trailers, hauling debris, and running helpers around. After a couple of flat tires on other vehicles I've decided I want a spare set of wheels and tires for the truck since it's been the lynch pin for so many things.

My plan is to run the original steel/chrome wheels and Firestone Transforce A/T tires for farm duty. I've found a set of 18" OEM aluminum wheels on eBay that I'll put some H/T tires on, but they don't come with the TPMS sensors.

So I have some questions I can't seem to find answers to.

1 - What TPMS sensors do you buy for most life/compatibility with the truck? I live in a rural area and when you ask the tire shops about TPMS sensors they glaze over and tell you to go to the dealer. I drove over an hour away to buy the truck because the local dealer is truly awful. I'm a little busy with work and the tornado clean up so I don't want to have to drive wheels around.

2 - Do you need to reprogram or reset anything on the truck to change wheels for the TPMS sensors to work? My Toyota 4Runner you have to use the scan tool and program in the TPMS sensors. My Kia Stinger you just change wheels and the car figures it out.

3 - My brothers truck took some damage as it was parked in one of the barns. I'm pretty sure they're going to total it. But the wheels and tires are perfect. Tires have less than 10,000 miles on them. But the truck is a 2011 2500. Will these be compatible?

Thanks for any help!

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Go do the dealership. I picked up a oem sensor for 48 bucks, that’s cheaper than sensors at discount tire. The wheels will be compatible but different tpms system. The sensors on the 2019+ (It may be a few years prior but Not all the way back to 11) auto learn no need to “learn” the system swap tires and drive 20 miles or so. Just FYI they tend to be picky on aftermarket wheels with offset. My fuel wheels have been giving me a lot of trouble but that the wheels not the sensors fault.

OP
OP
joetama

joetama

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Thanks for the quick replies. I’ll get everything ordered today.

JayLeonard

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 L Cummins
Sorry to hear about your farm. Hopefully you can recover quickly.

plante2017

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I replaced my 2017 stock chrome for 2021 stock aluminum tires and rims. The 2021 had the TMPS removed so I took my old tires and rims to a tire shop where they removed TMPSs and used them in the new tires and rims - works great. The TMPS sensor literally is screwed into the back of the valve stem. Hopefully you can save some dinero and have a tire shop do the swap for a few bucks.

Good luck and speedy recovery.