Off-Road Flatbed design

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Ouch!

Those things were much cheaper back in the day, at Princess Auto. I'm sure my first Hi-Lift jack was about $60 CDN. :cool:

https://www.peaveymart.com/search?query=farm+jack

https://www.princessauto.com/en/searchresults?Ntt=farm jack
Amazon is often way over priced. You can still gets these at Canadian Tire, who sell the top of the line Hylifts, and Princess auto in the 140 buck range, and less when CT puts them on sale. If someone near Edmonton wants one, I have a quality 48" I would sell for 80.

Last edited:

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That’s why I love having a tractor supply near me. They’ve got tackle and winches, off-road jacks, welding supplies, and other odds and ends. I’ll end up with a farm jack and wide base plate with a few adapters and make brackets for mounting it to the top of my front bumper. Once I build my rock sliders I’ll be good to go. A good trick is to take a ratchet strap and strap the axle to the frame so you don’t have to lift as high to get the tire off the ground

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Amazon is often way over priced. You can still gets these at Canadian Tire, who sell the top of the line Hylifts, and Princess auto in the 140 buck range, and less when CT puts them on sale. If someone near Edmonton wants one, I have a quality 48" I would sell for 80.

I agree and why Amazon.ca is always my last place to shop. On the odd time, you can find a deal but rarely.

During the pre-stupidity phase of the world, shopping at Amazon.com and shipping to my NY address was fabulous. Fingers crossed that the border crossings will return to normal again sooner than later.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Ouch!

Those things were much cheaper back in the day, at Princess Auto. I'm sure my first Hi-Lift jack was about $60 CDN. :cool:

https://www.peaveymart.com/search?query=farm+jack

https://www.princessauto.com/en/searchresults?Ntt=farm jack
The cast iron versions are usually more money then the steel Torins are,but they have gone up in price alot.I paid less then 50 bucks for my first 60" cast iron jack-all way back in the early 80's. I only used the amazon link as it was the first one that popped up.Here's Crappy Tires version seeing as how some of you guys got your knickers wound up over the amazon version,lol

Last edited:
OP
OP
DILLIGAF

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That was lots of ******* around today... lol. But I got my fuel line totally out of the way.

Just need to go pick up a piece of hose tommorow and go fill up the truck to test it out. and need to get some metal to build the actual housing.

And Im starting my prototype rack out of old 2x4s I have left over. :hat: Im finally at the fun stage of this build !!!

Ive been checking out Amazon warehouse deal every day for a 60" Jack and checking FB marketplace as well. But of course none to be found since I now want one... lol...

PXL_20230220_000713981.jpg
PXL_20230219_234444186.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
DILLIGAF

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This should look good closed in and black. Not sure I like the angle on the bottom piece. Might make that one plumb so it make it easier to mount my block bearings.

Ive also decided to do a hinged center mount spare. That way it will hide the winch and way less fab work for the rack. Found a few ideas on google image search. Easy enough to build with 2 struts and block bearings.

Found a set of speed traps for 50$ on warehouse deals... lol.

PXL_20230220_184903296.jpg
PXL_20230220_184846372.jpg
51E60NNX7lL._AC_SL1200_.jpgustable-tire-carrier-dv8-offroad-tcgl-01-6_791x700.jpg
61IafZoG7AL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:

Spsully

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
first.... great work!!! I actually read through all 21 pages and subscribed to your youtube.

second. Harbor freight makes a version of the eagle jack now. its incredible. My rock crawling buddies say they like them better than the eagle. Not sure where you would get one in the great white north, but it would be my recommendation for a jack.

Lastly, please keep up the great work and updates!!!

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
first.... great work!!! I actually read through all 21 pages and subscribed to your youtube.

second. Harbor freight makes a version of the eagle jack now. its incredible. My rock crawling buddies say they like them better than the eagle. Not sure where you would get one in the great white north, but it would be my recommendation for a jack.

Lastly, please keep up the great work and updates!!!
When you're axle deep in mud or snow,a floor jack isn't going to be any good to you.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
I have had or whitnessed too many close calls with hi-lifts. You will never have 1 jack that fits all needs, but having options is a good idea
There is no two ways about it, Highlifts are a pretty dangerous tool, especially handle kick back. They are also a tool that will serve many functions that no other single tool I know of can do. Anyone that wants to start using one should watch all the Youtube videos they can find on how to avoid getting brained with the handle and other issues.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Keep a hi-lift clean and lubed reduces handle kick back ,if you let them get dirty holes and sticky pins,then you'll have issues with the handle.Washing the hell out of it everytime you go through a carwash,then spraying it with a good quality lube,keeps them in good working order

Spsully

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
They are also a tool that will serve many functions that no other single tool I know of can do.
110% agree with that. Never seen anyone use a floor to winch themselves out of a hole. And I would be lying if I said I have never lifted a tire with a hi-lift and drove off the jack as a means of clearing a boulder.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Surprisingly its not that bad at all. And Its only when im on the trails anyways to air my tires back up.

After 2 days, I havent even lost 2 PSI of pressure. Pretty sure its the Magnetic Ball valve for the air horns as thats the weakest point in my system. Didn't get any bubbles on any of my connections. Waiting on the 41mm hole saw to mount that gauge, holy **** I dont have much room for fudge factor in that spot. lol...

I dont see that compressor kicking in often. With the rocker switch ill be able to turn it off if I need to.

View attachment 513882
View attachment 513883
I got to warn you.
Train Horns are mostly why I am Deaf.

Don't blow them 300 times a day, for 30 years or you will be deaf too.
Learn which Cities have Quiet Zones. Big Fine and RR gets miffed when they get the ticket.
Just tell them you say a kid, chasing a dog, and were providing warning that you were coming.
Works every time.

OP
OP
DILLIGAF

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Got the Fuel neck mount built. Once I uploaded the pictures I realized my ******** didnt drill and tap holes underneath to mount it... :happy175: I guess I have to go back to the shop after supper.

Those torx are from the wifes old WV Tiguan, I knew keeping those 3 bolts would come in handy one day.

Still waiting on my Mustang fuel cap. :gayfight:

Looking forward to tommorow, Picking up some 2x10 PT getting it all cut and fitted. Once thats done ill be giving them a few dozen coats of deck sealer over the next few days. Saturday will be install.

Texas Air horn rebuild kits just hit Edmonton, So I should have them tommorow

Cant believe its already been 4 weeks I started this :grd:

PXL_20230221_231602293.jpg
PXL_20230221_231618264.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963