Off Road package

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

soapy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I really wonder why so few dealers order these trucks in without the off Road package. Basically for $795 it is a steal for what you get. Better shocks, 1 inch higher stance, E locker rear end, skid plates. Almost the Rebel package. I ordered mine with the air ride suspension so when needed I can go to 3 inches higher over a stock truck. Maybe it is the cheap sticker they put on instead a proper Badge.

The_Chemist

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I really wonder why so few dealers order these trucks in without the off Road package. Basically for $795 it is a steal for what you get. Better shocks, 1 inch higher stance, E locker rear end, skid plates. Almost the Rebel package. I ordered mine with the air ride suspension so when needed I can go to 3 inches higher over a stock truck. Maybe it is the cheap sticker they put on instead a proper Badge.

I would really like to know how the 1500 rides on highway with the off road package.

I ordered a 2019 Laramie Longhorn with air suspension and the off road package.

As you stated, the dealer didn't have one with the off road package, so I ordered it un-test driven.

I had previously ordered a 2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, then changed my mind and ordered a 2019 Ram. Of course the Longhorn is no Rubicon, but I felt I'd get the best of both worlds

I'm really hoping that the off road package does not destroy the awesome highway ride or add a bunch of tire noise with the all terrain tires.

OP
OP
soapy

soapy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
The rebel package would be very similar to the off road package. The Rebel does come with a little sitffer shock. The air suspension should have very little difference in ride with or without the Off road package.

troutspinner

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I test drove a few different Big Horn models, gearing, etc and the one I ended up buying with the off-road package rides no different.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Are they adding an actual locker now in the 2019's with this offraod package ? do the 2019 RAM's use the same ZF 9.25 carrier we have in the 4th gen ?

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Are they adding an actual locker now in the 2019's with this offraod package ? do the 2019 RAM's use the same ZF 9.25 carrier we have in the 4th gen ?

My brain went to the same place.

troutspinner

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
5.7 Hemi

There is an e/locker but I do not know the technicals of it.

OP
OP
soapy

soapy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I read that all the new rear differentials also have a built in cooling system that circulates coolant.

Gary2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Shame they don't use what came with the original 1500 off-road pkg back in 2000. IIRC it consisted of 17x8" wheels , trussed straight front axle housing , special shocks and steering box , 4.10 gears , tires 2" taller than reg 1500, 1.5" taller suspension , tow hooks which then got you a front bumper notched out for the tow hooks on some models. Heavy duty cooling Heavy duty charging and little sticker on the tailgate out the door price of $1200 off-road package back then. They tried it again early in the IFS type 1500s but consisted mostly of a big Off-road sticker on each side

Tim7139

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Classic ST Crew 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi w/8 speed 3.92 gears
The last thing I need is for my truck to be an inch higher, hard enough to find city parking as it is.

OP
OP
soapy

soapy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Here are pictures of a stock air suspension in the up position and the lowest. In the lowest position the truck is very easy to get into. With the power steps it is easy to get in all the time.IMG_0617.JPG IMG_0621.JPG IMG_0621.JPG

The_Chemist

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I read on another thread on this forum that the 2019 1500 with off road package rides stiffer than without the off road package.

I ordered my Laramie Longhorn 1500 with air suspension and off road package.

Many of you on this thread state that there is no difference in ride quality (or should I say, added stiffness) with the off road package.

The dealer did not have a 1500 with off road package at the time I ordered my Longhorn, so I could not test drive and compare the two side by side (with and without).

I loved the ride with the air suspension and no off road package. Now, maybe unnecessarily, I am fearing that the ride I will get with the off road package will be stiffer than what I test drove.

I really wanted the skid plates and all terrain tires. I live in the Harrisburg PA area, and felt the truck would be a better winter time snow driver with all terrains.

I really hope I don’t end up with a stiff ride (stiffer than what I test drove which had air suspension and no off road package).

Has anyone driven both side by side, and is there a noticeable difference in stiffness or firmness? I really hope I didn’t screw myself over...

I would welcome all testimonies. Also, thank all of you for sharing information. This forum is awesome!

See what your mind can do when you are slowly waiting for your order to be built and be delivered to you. I’m thinking up all kinds of stuff I should have ordered differently.

This is the most expensive vehicle that I have ever purchased.

Thanks!

ksn240

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I read on another thread on this forum that the 2019 1500 with off road package rides stiffer than without the off road package.

I ordered my Laramie Longhorn 1500 with air suspension and off road package.

Many of you on this thread state that there is no difference in ride quality (or should I say, added stiffness) with the off road package.

The dealer did not have a 1500 with off road package at the time I ordered my Longhorn, so I could not test drive and compare the two side by side (with and without).

I loved the ride with the air suspension and no off road package. Now, maybe unnecessarily, I am fearing that the ride I will get with the off road package will be stiffer than what I test drove.

I really wanted the skid plates and all terrain tires. I live in the Harrisburg PA area, and felt the truck would be a better winter time snow driver with all terrains.

I really hope I don’t end up with a stiff ride (stiffer than what I test drove which had air suspension and no off road package).

Has anyone driven both side by side, and is there a noticeable difference in stiffness or firmness? I really hope I didn’t screw myself over...

I would welcome all testimonies. Also, thank all of you for sharing information. This forum is awesome!

See what your mind can do when you are slowly waiting for your order to be built and be delivered to you. I’m thinking up all kinds of stuff I should have ordered differently.

This is the most expensive vehicle that I have ever purchased.

Thanks!
For non air suspension trucks with and without the offroad package, there should be no difference in ride quality. On air suspension, you may notice a small drop in ride quality as they program the suspension for the normal mode to be one inch higher. I think this also results in you losing the offroad 2 setting as well. The ride should still be fine.

The_Chemist

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
For non air suspension trucks with and without the offroad package, there should be no difference in ride quality. On air suspension, you may notice a small drop in ride quality as they program the suspension for the normal mode to be one inch higher. I think this also results in you losing the offroad 2 setting as well. The ride should still be fine.

I really hope I don't end up taking a hit in ride quality or added firmness because of the combination of air suspension and off road package.

I really wish that the dealetships had a more knowledgable staff who could answer these sorts of questions before ordering. I also wish the sales brochures would give more details.

19Streak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Is the air ride off road package something that can be done after the fact? I have air ride on my 19 and am curious

ksn240

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Is the air ride off road package something that can be done after the fact? I have air ride on my 19 and am curious
I would think so. The trick would be finding a dealer knowledgeable enough to do it.

19Streak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would think so. The trick would be finding a dealer knowledgeable enough to do it.

I think that's few and far in between in my area. They wanted to charge 7500 dollars to put a leveling kit on my original truck

troutspinner

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
5.7 Hemi

The off road package has 3.92 gears, hill descent control, electronic locker, different shocks and skid plates. Adding it after the fact would be quite expensive I would think.